IGNORED

Longest Thread! for Everton Discussion

Zoo

5 minutes ago, barryj said:

Thinking about it I dont think that can happen as the game in hand is at ours so surely we would need more than two day for safety certificates/ staffing? 

Spurs were due to play at Villa but then had Fulham at home scheduled for the Wednesday with only two days notice.

6 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Everton stars talk away the blues with isolated fans

The football club is supporting struggling families with Zoom calls, texts, welfare checks and food parcels

Dominic Calvert-Lewin has been keeping in touch with supporters
Dominic Calvert-Lewin has been keeping in touch with supporters
David Collins, Northern Editor
Sunday January 24 2021, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

Lying on his bed wearing a ventilator mask to help him breathe, Mark Cruise answers the Zoom call on his tablet. The kindly face of Carlo Ancelotti, the manager of Cruise’s beloved football club Everton, pops up.

Cruise, 53, who has motor neurone disease, has become “lockdown buddies” with Ancelotti, part of the Premier League club’s “Blue Family” campaign. Launched in March, it pairs footballers and staff for regular chats with isolated or vulnerable people.

Inevitably they talk about Everton’s chances of winning the league. Ancelotti says he is missing restaurants and seeing his friends. His wife, the Canadian businesswoman Mariann Barrena, has not left the house since March. They talk about the rubbish weather in Merseyside.

Play Video
Carlo Ancelotti speaks to fans

“I have a house in Crosby with my wife and my dogs,” says Ancelotti, who has managed Real Madrid, AC Milan and Paris Saint-Germain. “There is a beautiful beach and when the weather is good you can spend a nice time there.”

“So once a month, then?” Cruise quips.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin, the Everton striker and England player, is paired up for chats with Billy Culshaw, 80, who lives near Goodison Park in Liverpool. His wife of 57 years, Brenda, died from bowel cancer in September and he now lives alone. Last week, Calvert-Lewin, 23, contacted Culshaw on Zoom and discussed their love of the ITV quiz show Lingo.

Calvert-Lewin said: “The lads [Everton footballers] enjoy doing them. It’s good for our welfare too. I speak to the same people every day at the moment, just like everyone else. Chatting to people like Billy gives me a big lift.”

What started as a way for Everton to keep in touch with its fanbase has become a lifeline for many on Merseyside. The club has supported more than 27,000 families and made 25,000 check and welfare calls, hundreds of them by players. They have provided more than 14,000 emergency food parcels to families and more than 250,000 meals for schoolchildren, the elderly and others in Liverpool.

Everton also offers online bingo and quiz nights, fitness and coaching sessions, and mental health support. It provides mobile phone credit for people living alone and even gas and electricity vouchers for those struggling to pay their energy bills.

I love this club. We do things properly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55790434

Everton

Carlo Ancelotti has proved his enduring quality at Everton this season as they opened with a blaze of goals, suffered a poor period, before the manager showed his calm command as they recovered to stand fourth.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin has progressed as a striker while Michael Keane has been outstanding in defence. Recruitment has finally stepped up a level with James Rodriguez adding class, Allan and Abdoulaye Doucoure rejuvenating midfield, and defender Ben Godfrey a revelation since his move from Norwich City.

It has also been achieved with injuries to the likes of Allan, Rodriguez, Seamus Coleman and latterly Calvert-Lewin. This is where Everton might be undermined via squad strength but there is no disguising the vast improvement on last season.

Phil McNulty's pre-season prediction: 7th

Everton's current position: 6th

Half-term report card: Excellent so far. Top four may be too much to expect but Everton will feel they have a chance in this unpredictable season.

5 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

30m naming rights? just lovely.  nice to hear the commercial side is booming.  it's funny really, i've never heard of a single person opining for suntan bob.  he left and our revenues and club went rocketing up.  

On 12/01/2021 at 22:41, MikeO said:

Lawrenson predictions have us W3-D8-L6 = 17 points = relegation scrap.

Need to change his tagline, "expert" is stretching it.

Capture.JPG

Worrying turn of events!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55755348

Is it time to take notice of Everton near the top of the Premier League? They have a chance to move above Liverpool and Tottenham and climb into fourth place when they host fellow high-flyers Leicester on Wednesday.

"Everton have gone under the radar a bit in recent weeks," said BBC football expert and former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson. "They don't get much of a mention when people talk about the top four.

"That might change if they beat Leicester, and Carlo Ancelotti's side have got games in hand too. Also in their favour is their schedule compared to the teams above them, who are all still in Europe. Everton will only have to play once a week and, if they can keep their key players fit, they have got a chance."

Leicester are going well and are a good side even without the injured Jamie Vardy leading their line.

But I am not sure whether they will be able to cope with the physicality of Everton. That could make all the difference here.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Worrying turn of events!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55755348

Is it time to take notice of Everton near the top of the Premier League? They have a chance to move above Liverpool and Tottenham and climb into fourth place when they host fellow high-flyers Leicester on Wednesday.

"Everton have gone under the radar a bit in recent weeks," said BBC football expert and former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson. "They don't get much of a mention when people talk about the top four.

"That might change if they beat Leicester, and Carlo Ancelotti's side have got games in hand too. Also in their favour is their schedule compared to the teams above them, who are all still in Europe. Everton will only have to play once a week and, if they can keep their key players fit, they have got a chance."

Leicester are going well and are a good side even without the injured Jamie Vardy leading their line.

But I am not sure whether they will be able to cope with the physicality of Everton. That could make all the difference here.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

I’m still shocked they call him a football expert. The only radar we’ve not been on all seasons is his!

9 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I remember the hype around this lad when he came through the ranks, right up there with Billy Kenny as wasted talent

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/the-story-of-john-paul-kissock-breaking-rooneys-record-to-taxi-driver/

Most of our kids that have been hyped up look dog shit once you see them up close.

To be honest, I think we're crap at developing players past the natural talent they possess. 

This is why I cringe when people start talking up young talent. Very few make it all the way. 
Even players like JP and Jose Baxter, they had talent and still didn’t get there, as far back as Cadamarteri, he had a couple of good seasons in the premier league but it didn’t last. James Vaughan is one of the most gifted young strikers I’ve ever seen, but couldn’t keep himself fit to stay in the first team. Anichebe did really well to stay in the first team squad for so long, Moyes fancied him. 
When I see the talk about Gordon, Simms or Small, chances are they won’t make it. 
Tom Davies might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but he’s managed over 100 first team appearances across five years and has got himself another three years on his contract. He’s been a success. 

If there are 25 lads in the under 23 squad, if just one goes on to be a first team regular for Everton it will be a great result. Chances are none of them will. 
Hopefully most of them will still have football careers like Vaughan managed, and not end up like Jose or JP. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

This is why I cringe when people start talking up young talent. Very few make it all the way. 
Even players like JP and Jose Baxter, they had talent and still didn’t get there, as far back as Cadamarteri, he had a couple of good seasons in the premier league but it didn’t last. James Vaughan is one of the most gifted young strikers I’ve ever seen, but couldn’t keep himself fit to stay in the first team. Anichebe did really well to stay in the first team squad for so long, Moyes fancied him. 
When I see the talk about Gordon, Simms or Small, chances are they won’t make it. 
Tom Davies might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but he’s managed over 100 first team appearances across five years and has got himself another three years on his contract. He’s been a success. 

If there are 25 lads in the under 23 squad, if just one goes on to be a first team regular for Everton it will be a great result. Chances are none of them will. 
Hopefully most of them will still have football careers like Vaughan managed, and not end up like Jose or JP. 

We got lucky with Osman and Hibbert, not world beaters by any stretch but both had great careers for us. Had Jagielka until he was sixteen as well; good hit rate from that era, 'specially when you add Rooney.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

We got lucky with Osman and Hibbert, not world beaters by any stretch but both had great careers for us. Had Jagielka until he was sixteen as well; good hit rate from that era, 'specially when you add Rooney.

Osman and Hibbert both were great for us, and they became so much a part of the furniture I forgot about them. I think maybe it helps that they weren’t exciting players, just players they made their way into the team and were very solid. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

James Vaughan is the one that gets to me the most. I genuinely think he’d have been in the bracket just below the best in terms of PL strikers if he could’ve had better luck with injuries - he had pace, strength and could finish. 

I’ve seen him for Huddersfield a few times and his movement and pace always seemed too much for defenders down there. 
Just looking now and he managed 107 goals in 355 games. Currently playing for Tranmere, scored 14 in 21 this season. I hope he’s enjoying his football. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Currently playing for Tranmere, scored 14 in 21 this season. I hope he’s enjoying his football. 

He’s doing a great job for Rovers, they had a slow start but have risen up the table and are in play off position now, if they keep their current form a guaranteed place isn’t impossible, and David Nugent joined on Monday also, yes he’s still playing!

11 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

He’s doing a great job for Rovers, they had a slow start but have risen up the table and are in play off position now, if they keep their current form a guaranteed place isn’t impossible, and David Nugent joined on Monday also, yes he’s still playing!

Happy days.

https://www.toffeetalk.com/topic/868-nugent-by-friday-20106/?tab=comments#comment-9638