IGNORED

Gerard Deulofeu

small chance we'll keep him after this season, he's now out for a while... Maybe it's a good opportunity to make a move for Sunderland's Adam Johnson? He is a way underrated player. (underperforming a bit since he's at SUFC, but his potential is huge. RM could get him at his full potential)

small chance we'll keep him after this season, he's now out for a while... Maybe it's a good opportunity to make a move for Sunderland's Adam Johnson? He is a way underrated player. (underperforming a bit since he's at SUFC, but his potential is huge. RM could get him at his full potential)

No. This board was very excited about him at City, but he's just never really proved that he can and will play to his perceived potential. I'd only take a punt on him if it was sub-4 or 5 million, but I doubt we could get him at that price.

No. This board was very excited about him at City, but he's just never really proved that he can and will play to his perceived potential. I'd only take a punt on him if it was sub-4 or 5 million, but I doubt we could get him at that price.

In his last season at Manchester City he was massive. I watched their every game back then and he didn't alwasy play because of Silva, Nasri, Milner and the overload of strikers, but when he did he struck me as being the best English player of the team, second only to Joe Hart. His actions showed quality and efficiency. It never occurred to me how a team like Sunderland managed to sign him. TBH I though City looked likely to let SIlva go to Real Madrid back then and I was convinced they already had a replacement in their ranks in Adam Johnson.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2014/01/23/seamus-to-miss-stevenage

The Blues boss offered another update on the recovery of teenage winger Deulofeu, with a refreshed timescale giving Martinez much cause for optimism.
He added: "Gerard is not too far away. I will be very surprised if he is not available at the end of next week.
"That will be really positive because we knew it would be a tricky injury for the player he is. He's a real sprinter and that injury needs to be well looked after.
"I will be delighted if we can get him back then."

I could have written that! It offered no fact whatsoever, a poor article. I know most journalism is the same based on hearsay / rumour but this seemed more so than most. I take it with a pinch of salt. Maybe it's just I'm hopeful it's incorrect.

I think he could do with another season here to be honest.

Agreed. Although his teamwork was improving before his injury, I'd say he's far from ready to go into the Barcelona team. Hopefully they'll see the benefit to him of another season with us, starting more games and hopefully getting European experience too.