IGNORED

Gerard Deulofeu

To be brutally honest, from what I've seen on TV he's not a heavyweight. I honestly don't think he offers enough, especially for 90 mins to be a totally effective force.

He has a sublime touch and can mesmerise opposition defences with his close control and dribbling......but doing it once in a match ain't enough. I get the U-21 successes but here we're about to play perhaps the most in-form team in the Prem at the moment, totally different ball game.

If and I say 'if' he's given the opportunities by other players and Martinez makes it happen that way, he can run at the opposition all day and cause immense panic in the penalty area. If he has to go get the ball himself, he'll be a real handicap because I don't think the lad has it. I'll be ecstatic to be wrong (and I hope I am if he starts).

Two things: 1) has Martinez got the balls to do as many think and start the lad?

2) will the lad be hung out to dry if it all turns to dog shit?

No comment on the little Spaniard which surprises me.

Thought he made a real difference when he came on, though obviously we changed our formation a bit when he did with Mirallas going central and Barkley dropping back a bit but he played with a real purpose looking to drive forward at every opportunity and always thinking with an eye for the goal.

The one negative is he needs to look up and play the pass more often, a couple of times he got through very well down the right but tried to get a dinked shot in rather than look to pull it back.

His one on one miss was really disapointing and i was sure he was going to finish it Messi style with a lovely chip over the keeper but his attempt in the end was poor. The run and the pass were perfect and he ran on with it looking fully confident, shame but it didn't seem affect him afterwards.

I'd say he should definitely start on Saturday and wouldn't mind seeing similar to how we finished that game with Mirrallas behind Lukaku, Piennar and Deulofeu on the wings and McCarthy and Barkley in the middle. Barry will likely play left back but if he doesn' then that would change things a bit!

I thought he showed glimpses of true ability and defenders wont like his direct style aswell as his pace. He needs to look up abit more but tha will come with more games. I don't see Barry playing left back against stoke I can see Roberto asking hibbo or Sheamus to play there and stones at right back

Plenty of ability but like most young players he just needs to work on his decision making. The more game time he gets the better he is going to be and I think he is a very good player to have coming off the bench. Personally, I would just like to see that he cares a bit more, just that 10% more effort. I am sure it will come as he matures but if he knuckles down and shows the graft as well as the craft, then he will be an excellent player wherever he ends up in his career.

He needs to be in our starting line-up from now on - simply because he is the best we have on the right wing -

oh yes and also because we will most likely not have the same privilege next season -

this youngster has a good few goals in him - use him Roberto

called this one correctly - thanx Roberto for showing confidence in youth

Marca :rofl:

I'll merely repeat what I posted before the season began, enjoy him while you have him but he'll be going back to Barcelona

Bummed I missed the match but downloading presently, curious how he fared against Muniesa or if having to face him gave him an added confidence boost having faced off against him many times before in the cantera & NT...Did he play 90 minutes?

Marca :rofl:

I'll merely repeat what I posted before the season began, enjoy him while you have him but he'll be going back to Barcelona

Bummed I missed the match but downloading presently, curious how he fared against Muniesa or if having to face him gave him an added confidence boost having faced off against him many times before in the cantera & NT...Did he play 90 minutes?

He indeed played the full 90 and had a barn burner. He seemed to share the ball a little bit more and was tearing them a new one :)

Frustrating at first today but slowly became less selfish as the game went on, and every time he got the ball I was on the edge of my seat. I hope he tears Evra a new one in our next game.

I don't know if "selfish" is a fair word to use, though I understand what you're getting at. What we need to keep in perspective here is:

1. He is 19 years old.

2. He's used to comparatively shitty competition in the lower Spanish divisions.

I don't think Deulofeu goes on runs thinking he needs to do everything himself or to be a ball hog. He's a young kid who is used to being considerably better than any defender he's going up against. The EPL is a major step up from any sort of competition he is used to. Thus, he's still trying to figure out how far he can push things. Some things that worked against vastly inferior teams in Spain won't work against EPL teams like Stoke, and the only way for Deulofeu to learn what will and won't work at this level is through trial and error. He's still not perfect and definitely held onto the ball a touch or two too many in some instances this game. I do think he's getting better at it, though. It's a learning process, and I think he's shown progress. Every game will only educate him further and eventually he'll be a much more mature player.

Watched the game again... Absolutely phenomenal feet. A whole different level of pace/control. If I had his ability I wouldn't pass, why? At the speed he runs it takes time to thread them, he literally brings 2 players towards him and has the ability to beat both.

Rare talent

I don't know if "selfish" is a fair word to use, though I understand what you're getting at. What we need to keep in perspective here is:

1. He is 19 years old.

2. He's used to comparatively shitty competition in the lower Spanish divisions.

I don't think Deulofeu goes on runs thinking he needs to do everything himself or to be a ball hog. He's a young kid who is used to being considerably better than any defender he's going up against. The EPL is a major step up from any sort of competition he is used to. Thus, he's still , trying to figure out how far he can push things. Some things that worked against vastly inferior teams in Spain won't work against EPL teams like Stoke, and the only way for Deulofeu to learn what will and won't work at this level is through trial and error. He's still not perfect and definitely held onto the ball a touch or two too many in some instances this game. I do think he's getting better at it, though. It's a learning process, and I think he's shown progress. Every game will only educate him further and eventually he'll be a much more mature player.

Well, I think it would be a mistake to summarily dismiss Segunda competition or his experience with the NT...I imagine he sees the space he's afforded in the Premiership and his eyes dilate, dribbling & getting into scoring position for a winger are fundamental

He's 19 as you say so there will indeed be a learning curve about when to use the accelerator and not to along with decision making but the natural talent & skills are in abundance...Plus, he's never had confidence issues as he's dominated at every level he's played...Although he never quite made much of a splash with Barcelona's 1st team the handful of times he played

BTW, thought Pienaar & Oviedo were outstanding as well

Thought I'd leave you with his comp over the years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Lbs3L6l7bEU

Edited by FCBarça

1. He is 19 years old.

I don't think Deulofeu goes on runs thinking he needs to do everything himself or to be a ball hog. He's a young kid who is used to being considerably better than any defender he's going up against. The EPL is a major step up from any sort of competition he is used to. Thus, he's still trying to figure out how far he can push things. Some things that worked against vastly inferior teams in Spain won't work against EPL teams like Stoke, and the only way for Deulofeu to learn what will and won't work at this level is through trial and error. He's still not perfect and definitely held onto the ball a touch or two too many in some instances this game. I do think he's getting better at it, though. It's a learning process, and I think he's shown progress. Every game will only educate him further and eventually he'll be a much more mature player.

It's not the going on runs and holding on to the ball a bit too long at times that made me use the word selfish. I want him going on runs; I was excited like a kid at Christmas every time he got the ball because I was expecting a run. It's when he gets to the end of the run and shoots from silly angles that made me think him selfish. But, even that didn't make me pissed at him for it because, as you rightly point out, he's a kid and he needs to make these mistakes to realise that they are mistakes. Personally, I'm loving watching him make mistakes, he's one hell of an exciting player.

The main disappointment from him yesterday IMO was his crossing. We know he is an excellent crosser of the ball but on a couple of occasions he worked himself into some excellent positions but the cross he put into the box tended to be too near to the keeper. Having said that it cant be easy running at the speed he is going and then trying to whip a good ball in!

This article points out that Deulofeu will possibly stay on one more year after this season. Looks like we have the option to extend the loan by one season. Great if true. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/04/sports/soccer/barcelonas-best-plan-b-might-be-in-everton.html?WT.mc_id=AD-D-E-OTB-GLOBHP-1213&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_c=__CAMP_UID__&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=%201385874000000&bicmet=%201388638800000&_r=0

"However, even in the week when Barcelona itself seemed tired and vulnerable, there is beauty to report.

Many miles from home, a Barça boy, Gerard Deulofeu, made an unforgettable starting debut in England on Saturday.

Labeled the new Messi and still in his teens, Deulofeu has been loaned to Everton for this season and possibly next.

His first goal was indeed Messi-esque in terms of his directness with the ball, his body swerve and his impudent finish.

“His quality is sublime,” observed Everton’s coach, Roberto Martínez. “He can open up spaces, and I want him to continue trying things, to express himself, to dislodge good defenses. To have that raw talent is not selfish.” Martínez is a Catalan abroad, guiding a gifted youth through getting experience in another culture. The long-term Plan B, perhaps."

Edited by Peter H

i think this is the difference between the premier and the spanish league.

I will never class Messi as better than Ronaldo until he proves it in another league.

I have watched many a messi goal and thought there is no way on England you will have a defender jog along side you and not put in a tackle. There is no way a goalkeeper is going to lie on the floor and let you dink it more than once a game. You just wont get that over here.

I think this is where Jerry needs to mature and realise sometimes you have to use your laces. Put your foot through it and make the keeper work. Another few matches and he will be lethal.

It's coming.

I will never class Messi as better than Ronaldo until he proves it in another league.

I have watched many a messi goal and thought there is no way on England you will have a defender jog along side you and not put in a tackle. There is no way a goalkeeper is going to lie on the floor and let you dink it more than once a game. You just wont get that over here.

I think this is where Jerry needs to mature and realise sometimes you have to use your laces. Put your foot through it and make the keeper work. Another few matches and he will be lethal.

It's coming.

With all due respect, some of the defending in the PL is absolutely atrocious...just in a different way to some of the clownish defending in Spain. Defences all across Europe have declined horribly since the 90s and early 2000s and the PL is certainly no exception. We are living in an extremely uncompetitive era of football. Besides, Messi has pissed all over Man United (with Ronaldo in the team) and Arsenal. He'd make mincemeat of the brainless bruisers which populate the PL defences - let's not kid ourselves.

Messi is miles better than Ronaldo - if you watch their goals most of Ronaldo's are laid on a plate by Real Madrid's playmakers, whereas Messi is much more likely to create from nothing. Even that Portugal hat-trick against the Swedes - Ronaldo's three goals were effectively laid on a plate by fantastic through balls (and it's a crime they weren't acknowledged enough).

Ronaldo is a far better athlete, but Messi is a far better footballer. His playmaking abilities are world-class, whereas Ronaldo is nothing special whatsoever in that department. Ronaldo is also extremely boring to watch - he's more soulless machine than artist.

I'm no Messi fanboy by the way - he's an arrogant prick and all this stuff about he and Ronaldo being 'the two best players of all time' is typically embarrassing sky era balls. He and Ronaldo both epitomise everything that's wrong with the modern footballer. However, based purely on ability, Messi is clearly very superior.

As an example, take Van Persie - he's one of the most overrated players I've seen in years yet he has been scoring goals galore in the PL. Let's not go all Sky about the PL's quality. Guys like Mata, Silva, Aguero etc aren't as good as Messi yet they've pissed all over the PL...the same 'these La Liga imports aren't PL proven' stuff was levelled against them.

Not sure how a thread about Deulofeu got on to the old 'Messi needs to to it in another league' stuff but ho hum.

Edited by Nikica

It's coming.

Never understood this argument.

Aguero/Suarez (as much as i hate to say it)

Both play similarly to Messi, though nowhere near as good and are both considered among the best in our league, so why wouldnt Messi? He tears shit up in the champions league but wouldnt cut it in the prem? get real.