IGNORED

Gerard Deulofeu

I'd take the lad back in a heart beat. There was times when he played brilliant and was dropped the next game. I thought it was harsh at times. He's probably the best impact sub we've had in a long time though.

He was in flashes and I think his being dropped was more to protect him as a young lad to be honest rather than him being unfairly dropped.

He undoubtedly had flashes of brilliance and could have a really bright future but towards the end of last season maybe after his injury he looked to have lost interest in playing for us and no matter how talented he is if he doesn't want to play for us then he can fuck off.

If they've been translated correctly from the Marca interview, there are some inflammatory comments from Enrique about our use of Gerard last season, which don't suggest we'll be getting any young loanees from them under this manager!

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/15/jl-barcelona-boss-blasts-everton-over-wasted-deulofeu/?

“Gerard Deulofeu was wasted last year. They tried to kill his flair and vision. That won't happen at Seville,” Enrique told Marca.

If they've been translated correctly from the Marca interview, there are some inflammatory comments from Enrique about our use of Gerard last season, which don't suggest we'll be getting any young loanees from them under this manager!

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/15/jl-barcelona-boss-blasts-everton-over-wasted-deulofeu/?

“Gerard Deulofeu was wasted last year. They tried to kill his flair and vision. That won't happen at Seville,” Enrique told Marca.

Comment underneath.

NSNO.co.uk 43 minutes ago

This was made up by a Liverpool fan on Twitter and The Daily Mail ran with it as if it was true.....then it propagates because nobody bothers to check stuff before they post it.

Well done

• 4 weeks later...

Barca are rumoured to be considering cancelling his loan to Sevilla as he's not getting enough playing time.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/511667/Barcelona-s-Gerard-Deulofeu-outrage-gives-Everton-renewed-hope-of-signing-youngster

Saw that this morning. We haven't seen Atsu yet so I don't see the point in another winger. Unless you play him more centrally, behind the striker for example.

Think he's missed the opportunity to come here again.

Like Matt points out, Atsu is his replacement. Deulofeu would have been a regular starter (in my eyes) should he have stayed but we're in the same position with Atsu, as we were with him 12 months ago. We'll see the best of him later in the season.

Unlucky. Barca made the wrong call!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Mixed feelings. He'd definitely provide some of the directness we need to create chances (Rather than dicking around in the midfield all afternoon), but he was often so wasteful with the ball (not nearly as bad as McGeady though). Not sure if Barca would sell, or that we have 8m to spend. I think we need to be desperately looking to the loan market and for players with 6 months left on their contracts that are creative players.