IGNORED

Gerard Deulofeu

So Deulofeu is being compared to a player who was playing regularly when he's still being eased into regular first team action?

I'm as frustrated as anyone with some of his performances but you have to take the pain in order to get the pleasure with these sorts of players. Just look at Sterling - burst on to the scene, faded badly and looked shite, now he's learnt from that and looks capable of doing great things.

The reason hazard was playing regularly was because he wasn't making the same mistakes time after time that Gerry is. If Gerry didn't keep going down the line and firing a cross in only for it to go out for a throw in I'm pretty sure he'd have played a lot more. And he probably wouldn't be with us either.

For the record, I'm not really comparing them as players, just more the levels they were/are at, at their age.

The reason hazard was playing regularly was because he wasn't making the same mistakes time after time that Gerry is. If Gerry didn't keep going down the line and firing a cross in only for it to go out for a throw in I'm pretty sure he'd have played a lot more. And he probably wouldn't be with us either.

For the record, I'm not really comparing them as players, just more the levels they were/are at, at their age.

How on earth was Deulofeu supposed to progress further than the Barca B team until now? He has numerous older, quality players ahead of him at Barca. Did Hazard have that at Lille? Doubt it. This has been Gerry's first opportunity at playing first team football, and it's in a completely different environment to what he's been used to. If he'd gone to another Spanish club then I have no doubt he'd have played a lot more because it wouldn't have been so alien to him. But he came to a different country instead and Martinez chose to go down the path of easing him in, quite rightly IMO. He started slowly, with just a few flashes of his brilliance, but then looked to have found his feet and would go on to be a regular in the second half of the season but injury hit at just the wrong time, and he's come back pretty much at the level he started at.

You may end up right and he doesn't reach his potential, but to write him off now because he's looking poor is a bit short-sighted.

I feel that lukakus hype has been created through his physicality - he is as big and as strong as he is going to be. The same can't be said for stones, Barkley, and Gerry who will likely gain a further 20% over the next year or so.

The physicality is there to supplement the technical ability. That's where romelu is pretty much sub standard for a prem striker. He is not going to be technically good enough, compare him to other big strikers like djouro, djecko, Lambert, they all have great ability on the ball.

On the front foot Lukaku is a decent player as shown with his goals against City and Arsenal. However with his back to goal he is really bad. His touch is terrible his link up play is none existent and his passing ability shows lack of concentration most of the time. That said he's the best striker we've had since Johnson and an in form Yakubu.

How on earth was Deulofeu supposed to progress further than the Barca B team until now? He has numerous older, quality players ahead of him at Barca. Did Hazard have that at Lille? Doubt it. This has been Gerry's first opportunity at playing first team football, and it's in a completely different environment to what he's been used to. If he'd gone to another Spanish club then I have no doubt he'd have played a lot more because it wouldn't have been so alien to him. But he came to a different country instead and Martinez chose to go down the path of easing him in, quite rightly IMO. He started slowly, with just a few flashes of his brilliance, but then looked to have found his feet and would go on to be a regular in the second half of the season but injury hit at just the wrong time, and he's come back pretty much at the level he started at.

You may end up right and he doesn't reach his potential, but to write him off now because he's looking poor is a bit short-sighted.

Valid point. But I still maintain that Hazard wasn't as predictable whilst playing for Lille which is why he became a first team regular at a tender age, all be it in a lesser league then the EPL. I've seen a few others suggest that he would have been a first team regular with us by now if not for his injury and I'm sorry but I can't agree with that either. He had a great game against Stoke at home and scored a peach against Arsenal but to suggest after that he was going to be in the starting 11 more often than not is just ludicrous. He was still making the mistakes of running into no mans land and loosing the ball when the pass was on but he got a goal or two whilst doing it.

He does need regular first team football to iron out the issues in his game, but this level is too high for the level he's at ATM IMO.

I've seen a few others suggest that he would have been a first team regular with us by now if not for his injury and I'm sorry but I can't agree with that either. He had a great game against Stoke at home and scored a peach against Arsenal but to suggest after that he was going to be in the starting 11 more often than not is just ludicrous. He was still making the mistakes of running into no mans land and loosing the ball when the pass was on but he got a goal or two whilst doing it.

He does need regular first team football to iron out the issues in his game, but this level is too high for the level he's at ATM IMO.

He'd shown that he was starting to add an end product to his game; progression. He was always going to be making the mistakes a long with the successes; he will for the next 2 or 3 years. But as long as he was showing progression then Martinez was going to be pleased, and aid that progression with more game time, leading to further progression.

Hazard has always had two great feet. He always says he doesn't practice that either. I don't think touch is something you can still improve on at this age. But just Deulofeu being one footed, doesn't mean he isn't going to be a very good player. I think both him and Mirallas would improve immensely if they had a striker they could interplay with as well.

Edited by Steve_E

Deulofeu will come good on his potential. I don't fear that. He's got great skills on the ball, the ability to create space for himself and others and has pace. He needs to develop a better feel for when to do certain things--something that will only come with more experience.

Lukaku, on the other hand, worries me a bit. He's so physically gifted that I think it's been, paradoxically, a bit of a hindrance to his development. I think that, because he has always been bigger and stronger than his opposition, he has never learned to play to that. It is easy for him to outmuscle smaller and weaker defenders who don't really have a chance with him. He's also always been able to burst past anyone else on the field, so he's never had to worry about others catching him. He's got all the gifts in the world, but against this level of opposition he's not capable of exploiting them. IF, however, he could learn to play with his back to goal and actually utilize all the strength and speed he was blessed with, he would be the most dangerous striker in the world. His work needs to be done in training, while Deulofeu needs to work his game out in match action. Lukaku should still be a starting striker as he's still capable of scoring an ass ton of goals, even with his issues.

It's called the Barclays Premier League here in the states mate, no need to apologize for being picky. I refuse to call it soccer though, keep that in mind at least :rofl: .

Anyway to stay on topic, I am one of Gerry's biggest supporters but he has been shite the last couple of games. If he does stay on loan, I think as many have said that a full preseason will help him out a ton.

No way! I hate it even more now sponsorship is involved!!!

Another year with Gerry can only help both clubs and player. He needs regular game time and we need options.

Edited by StevO

I don't understand how people can be so harsh on Gerry and Lukaku yet when Stones makes a mistake (Not that it happens often to be fair) or Barkley has a bad game its just not seen, fair enough his decision making has been poor at times, but none of our wingers have been consistent all season. Gerry only plays in fits and spells as well, I think he's going to be brilliant in a few seasons. As for Lukaku not being good enough he's scored 13 league goals which isn't bad for a young developing striker.

I don't understand how people can be so harsh on Gerry and Lukaku yet when Stones makes a mistake (Not that it happens often to be fair) or Barkley has a bad game its just not seen, fair enough his decision making has been poor at times, but none of our wingers have been consistent all season. Gerry only plays in fits and spells as well, I think he's going to be brilliant in a few seasons. As for Lukaku not being good enough he's scored 13 league goals which isn't bad for a young developing striker.

I'll always point out the bad games Barkley has, i've been fairly critical of him a few times this season but like i said earlier, he still showed glimpses of what he can do. As for Stones, i cant remember him having that bad a game in all honesty? apart from the Derby at Anfield where he was played out of position and the whole team was dyer.

I agree the critisism of Lukaku is a bit harsh considering his record but i think the frustration with him is that he is a good player but if he just had that better touch and technique he would be unstoppable, too many times we see him lose the ball by getting it stuck between his feet or the ball just bouncing off him. But like you say, he's still developing.

Personally, i've just not seen enough of Gerry to think he will be anything special. He's showed snippets of good play but overall i've been very underwhelmed by most of his performances. I understand that he is also still young and developing but he hasnt shown enough for me.

I'll always point out the bad games Barkley has, i've been fairly critical of him a few times this season but like i said earlier, he still showed glimpses of what he can do. As for Stones, i cant remember him having that bad a game in all honesty? apart from the Derby at Anfield where he was played out of position and the whole team was dyer.

I agree the critisism of Lukaku is a bit harsh considering his record but i think the frustration with him is that he is a good player but if he just had that better touch and technique he would be unstoppable, too many times we see him lose the ball by getting it stuck between his feet or the ball just bouncing off him. But like you say, he's still developing.

Personally, i've just not seen enough of Gerry to think he will be anything special. He's showed snippets of good play but overall i've been very underwhelmed by most of his performances. I understand that he is also still young and developing but he hasnt shown enough for me.

I think Barkley gets away with alot more because he's a local lad and everyone is hoping he's going to be our best CM for a long time to come, which I totally understand. Stones hasn't really had a bad performance as you said apart from the Derby, but he has made a few mistakes which haven't been punished, probably why no ones mentioned it.

I don't ever think Lukaku will get 30 odd goals a season but I do think he will be in double figures most seasons barring injuries and depending on how good a season the wingers have in whichever team he plays for he could get close to mid 20s.

I think Gerry has got everything he needs to be a good winger, he just needs it to click into place. I think it will be when he's about 23/24 he will hit his prime. I could be wrong as i'm not exactly a scout or anything but I think he's too good to fall away into an average player.

this is exactly how i feel as well. barkley, stones, lukaku all have shown glimpses or straight out shown what they can do. all gerry has shown is that he is fast, one footed, and likes step overs. so he can race to the byline and put a cross in, i just don't see what the big deal is with him.

How the hell can anyone say Deulofeu hasn't had an impact on our season. He's done very well!

He got us a point away to Arsenal, I'll give you that. But I can't remember him having a major impact in any other game.

He's 19 as well so I wasn't expecting him to tbh. Just expected him to show a bit more promise than he has.

He got us a point away to Arsenal, I'll give you that. But I can't remember him having a major impact in any other game.

He's 19 as well so I wasn't expecting him to tbh. Just expected him to show a bit more promise than he has.

Don't forget about Sunderland... For me Gerry is one of the 1st names I look for on the team sheet & I love watching him - the Arsenal goal tells you everything about his ability & potential. Sure he's a bit frustrating on occasions but that's par for the course with an exciting talent. If we can keep him for another season I will be so happy.

Don't forget about Sunderland... For me Gerry is one of the 1st names I look for on the team sheet & I love watching him - the Arsenal goal tells you everything about his ability & potential. Sure he's a bit frustrating on occasions but that's par for the course with an exciting talent. If we can keep him for another season I will be so happy.

I don't think he can take much credit for that. He was playing as he usually does, gets to the byline and fires it a cross for no end product. Just in that game one of their defenders got a touch to put it in.

He tore the LB a new one in that game without ever actually doing anything. Anyone with his pace would/should have been doing that to a relatively poor alonso.

Gerry is definitely a player that divides opinion and I used Hazard as an example of a similar type player but maybe Sterling is a better one? Gerry seems one dimensional at the minute but maybe that's because he hasn't had a run of ten games which would allow him to get into a groove and maybe that's why Europa league would be good for us? More games for him to play and improve him. Id like to see him play in a 4-3-3 and in the whole behind the striker. he would scare teams to death if he could pick the ball up in central positions rather than out wide

• 3 weeks later...

He hasn't been very important this season. Isn't there any better alternative? In our own ranks we already have better wingers in McGeady and Mirallas.

At times he has shown unbelievable flair and pace, it's as though he's on the brink of becoming amazing. He's been excellent at times, frustrating at others but he is going to be class.

He hasn't been very important this season. Isn't there any better alternative? In our own ranks we already have better wingers in McGeady and Mirallas.

Disagree. Grabbed a point at Arsenal and 3 at Sunderland.

19 year old, first season in the premier league hasn't done badly at all and showed flashes of brilliance at times.

What you expecting a world beater?

Guest blueboy122

I've always had high expectactions for Deulofeu since I first heard he was coming here. I think a full pre-season will do him wonders and he'll take off and become a key player for us :)

Become a key player and then we lose him....

Some of us should remember how frustrating was Ronaldo when he was 19. I'm not saying Deulofeu will be Ronaldo in the future, but every position has its own learning curve and the flair wideman-forward has its particularities.

Awful crossing, bad decision making, selfishness... That's something I could expect. What I wouldn't like to see is a forward playing it backwards without confidence, or not trying to get past anyone.

If he stays, I expect him to improve his decision making and his trickery. His main flaws are coachable: selfishness, decision making and ability to dribble to the left side/with his left foot. He has never been so predictable and one-trick-pony as he is now (yes, he was selfish before), and I expect him to improve that. I really wouldn't mind if he does not use his left foot since many other great players only use one foot to run with the ball, but he has to learn to go left to play efficiently. Lastly, he would need to show some consistence, and I think that playing week in week out in Europa League games will help him a lot.

Pleasing news, if true. His pace when dribbling is astonishing, and his delivery can be deadly too - just not often enough. He clearly needs to improve his decision making and needs to stop trying to do it all himself, but I think a full pre-season with us will see him much better prepared for this season, and if he's going to make it as a top class player then I'd expect him to be making serious waves in the Premier League by the second half of next season,

Become a key player and then we loose him....

Fair enough that is a concern, but if he's going to help us crack into the top 4 and gain more money/reputation and therefore attract an be able to afford better players, then fair game. Besides this will also encourage other clubs to loan us their great prospects where the cycle will repeat, like Ford's interchangable parts.

I'll be happy if he returns and shows more of the promise rather than more of the frustrating traits that has clouded his time here. Hopefully with a full season without injury, he will go on to become what we all expect he will be - a superstar