IGNORED

Fellaini & Baines joint bid

He wasn't very productive when you discount set pieces, more so when you look at the proportion of goals we conceded down the left. We would have been more dangerous mixing it up, all we became too predictable and other teams took advantage.

Pete, its fact that he created the most chances in Europe last season. Regardless of how he created them, you want to lose 100+ opportunities to score in a season?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/425507/Everton-reject-NEW-36m-United-bid-for-Fellaini-and-BainesIf ever there was proof this shit is made up,

Fellaini priced at the value of his £23.5m buy-out clause, which expired on July 31 but kicks back in on January 1

so it reactivates huh? I call bullshit....

I would also take £40m for the two.

Baines cannot play any better than he did last season, nor more often (every minute of every game) so unless he keeps up the same standard for this and future seasons he can only go backwards and so become less valuable. Even if we kept him until January, nobody would be interested then as strikers seem to be the main commodity during that transfer window, unless you're Harry Redknapp in charge of a failing team in which case anyone and everyone is fair game. If we don't sell Baines now the earliest we could sell him is next close season transfer window and, even if he has another great season (which I don't think will be anywhere near last season because of the way we now seem to play), he will likely go for less in which case we have missed an opportunity. I would prefer him to stay but if he is going to stay we must keep him for as long as possible, or until he ends his career, to get the benefit from his experience as we won't get the same fee for him as the one being offered at the moment.

Fellaini - totally unplayable, when he wants to be. The problem is that's not often or consistent enough and he has the potential and ability to cause unrest within the squad. I know we'll have to give Liege their cut but to sell a player for upwards of £8m more than you paid for them is not a bad result and although we might not replace him with someone to match him on his unplayable days we can replace him with someone who is better than him on the days he doesn't seem interested, which are more often than the unplayable days.

Just a shame it's so late in the transfer window but that's Man Utd for you. They've done it to us and to many others before so we shouldn't expect anything different.

He should have many targets identified. If he didn't have 3-5+ replacements in mind for both players, I'd be appalled.

"You have to have contingency plans," said Martinez. "Believe me, the way you work in the transfer market is to always think about the unthinkable.

"We are working in a way in which you always need to have things in place. That’s working within the rules of the transfer window, so we always do that."

Just in the way that we should understand Moyes knew he was going to replace Fergie before the end of last year. Succession planning is massive in football.

Athletic Bilbao's president has confirmed Manchester United have made a bid for midfielder Ander Herrera. Believed to be £25m.

Dunno who he is but roughly translated means he is actually worth £40m... Probably just a bit of mind games going on to get us to accept £35m

Mind-games, negotiation tactics. That's what all the stories are fed to the press, the stupid statement about doing the best for the players, the fabricated reports that Baines has asked for a transfer, this and other bids to other teams, leaving the transfer to the last day so it's difficult to find replacements. As someone who negotiates deals all the time, I find this approach to be dishonourable and very cheap. In particular, it undermines trust.

Athletic Bilbao's president has confirmed Manchester United have made a bid for midfielder Ander Herrera. Believed to be £25m.

Is this guy instead of Fellaini?

Cornish; football is dishonourable, and i doubt there is much trust in the game too.

Edited by StevO

Cornish; football is dishonourable, and i doubt there is much trust in the game too.

Which is a real shame. Negotiation is all about finding a win-win situation. ManU could have agreed a price while allowing Everton to find a replacement: that's a win-win. What we're heading towards is ManU paying more than they needed to, whereas Everton has very little time to bring in replacements - a lose-lose situation. Why ever would Everton want to do business again with ManU? I wouldn't.

The final days of this transfer window are going to be crazy, smashing all records by a mile. For Everton, I can see:

Out: Fellaini and Baines, Heitinga, Anichebe

In: McCarthy, Moses, Alderwiereld, Marrone, maybe two other squad players

I really don't see Gareth Barry coming here.

Net financials? Break even or better.

All this talk about Fellaini not being worth 30 mil is fair enough. I would have to agree, but it's not what he's worth to others, its what he's worth to us. At the end of the day I dont think Fellaini is worth 30 million,however, I wouldnt like to see him go for anything less. An acceptable joint bid for me would be anything in excess of 45 Million, especially as it's so late on in the window and it will be a mess about to get others in.

Phil McNulty, BBC Sport

"Marouane Fellaini's move from Everton to Manchester United is one of the big deals expected to go through today. Talks are still ongoing and reliable sources in Belgium are suggesting the giant midfield man will start pushing very hard for this deal to go through if negotiations get a little too close to deadline for his liking.

"The other half of United's proposed move on Everton is England defender Leighton Baines. The word on Merseyside last night was that the chances of this deal also being completed are receding. Everton simply do not want to countenance selling Baines

Phil McNulty, BBC Sport

"Marouane Fellaini's move from Everton to Manchester United is one of the big deals expected to go through today. Talks are still ongoing and reliable sources in Belgium are suggesting the giant midfield man will start pushing very hard for this deal to go through if negotiations get a little too close to deadline for his liking.

"The other half of United's proposed move on Everton is England defender Leighton Baines. The word on Merseyside last night was that the chances of this deal also being completed are receding. Everton simply do not want to countenance selling Baines

I think that's what we've all expected to happen; sell Fellaini, keep Baines.

I'd rather sell Baines too :unsure: (or preferably, just Baines)

Not worth selling Baines he's a £20m full back that we can only command £12m for. If we were going to sell him it should have been 2 years ago where we could have got his true value. Too old to get that now.

Lets say we replaced him with a younger £6m player. Thats a £6m profit. Over the course of the remainder of his career thats £1m per season = 1 place in the league. He easily earns us a couple of places alone.

• 2 weeks later...