IGNORED

Fellaini & Baines joint bid

Really? Well if he honestly believes that then he need's to give himself a shake imo as we are in desperate need of midfield additions, even if Fellaini ends up staying. Osman is showing he is not up to the job and Gibson managed to get himself injured before the season even started and will no doubt get injured again at some point during the season, leaving Barkley and possibly Fellaini. No way is that adequate imo.

osman was in the wrong position in that game imo...him and barkley will be fighting for the same spot this season imo..we defo need another centre mid who can do the gibson role and the fellaini role..mccarthy and someone else maybe...not so up on what is about right now

osman was in the wrong position in that game imo...him and barkley will be fighting for the same spot this season imo..we defo need another centre mid who can do the gibson role and the fellaini role..mccarthy and someone else maybe...not so up on what is about right now

Like J said in the McCarthy thread, he is more of a similar type to Gibson than Fellaini, like you said we would still need a bruiser in the middle. I reckon Barkley will get the nod over Osman in that position imo. as Tonka said you would expect Osman to excel under Martinez but so far it's not happened for him.

Agree 100%. We one defensive midfielder to cover Gibson and Fellaini, if Fellaini goes we need two.

To be fair to Osman, we have only seen him play in the number 10 role once since Martinez came here and in that game he did quite well.

I think its a shame Martinez has only worked with Osman at the end of his career because I do think he is a player he would have got a lot out of, playing a bit like Maloney did for Wigan.

Agree 100%. We lack cover for Fellaini and Gibson, we have no defensive midfield cover. We NEED a midfielder to provide that and competition to Fellaini and Gibson. I would like that to be McCarthy. If Fellaini goes we then need McCarthy plus another.

I hope the money for McCarthy can come from the sale of Heitinger and using his wages which must be high. This plus a loan would give our squad the midfield options it needs so badly.

Like J said in the McCarthy thread, he is more of a similar type to Gibson than Fellaini, like you said we would still need a bruiser in the middle. I reckon Barkley will get the nod over Osman in that position imo. as Tonka said you would expect Osman to excel under Martinez but so far it's not happened for him.

1 game in the wrong position...not enough to judge yet imo

The Telegraph is reporting that ManU will return with a joint bid of 35m. In effect, this is 12m for Baines and the 23m buy-out amount for Fellaini. They suggest, though, that Tom Cleverley might be in the mix. Now, 35m plus Cleverley would not be such a bad deal.

buy out clause of 23m has expired anyway. Lazy journalism. We don't even know for certain if ever really existed.

The Telegraph is reporting that ManU will return with a joint bid of 35m. In effect, this is 12m for Baines and the 23m buy-out amount for Fellaini. They suggest, though, that Tom Cleverley might be in the mix. Now, 35m plus Cleverley would not be such a bad deal.

i'd prefer 35m and a packet of skittles to be honest

These are derisory figures being advertised.

Baines and Fellaini as a joint package and talk of 35 million for the pair and lo and behold it was even less than that initially, in the region of 25 ?

I say it every time, but just can't catch up with goddamn prices and valuations in soccer anymore. Bale for around 90 million, right down to Carroll for 35 million, and so on.

All I know is, neither of those above names are worth anything like those fucking nonsense figures, and suppose for arguments sake they were, then I'd be wanting 75 million for Baines and 65 for Fellaini at the very least.

This is all (eventually) going to get me even more irate than I usually am, but Manchester United and Moyes can push off if they really think we're going to let our star assets go for such disappointing prices and figures.

We are getting there though, add Evra to the offer and I say yes. There is a lot RM can do with 35 mil and 2 weeks left on the transfer window. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-fellainibaines-chase-2192808

We wouldnt need to replace Baines if we have Evra and Oviedo (Garbutt)

35 mil would then get us

McCarthy at 15 if that's whats required

20 more mil plus perhaps 5 mil still in the kitty to spend on the squad. Who would you get? Id look at (out of linked players):

Dusan Tadic - 12 mil

Alderweireld - 6 mil

Atsu - 1 mil according to the last rumour (must be wrong)

Chantome - 6 mil (8 mil euros)

That would mean:

Out - Baines and Fellaini

In - Evra, McCarthy, Tadic, Alderweireld, Atsu and Chantome (3 in bold would go straight in to the starting 11, possibly even Chantome instead of Gibbo and Atsu instead of Pienaar)

I would say that that's a good piece of business. The squad would be better off.

GK - Howard, Robles, Springthorpe

RB - Coleman, Stones, Hibbo

CB's- Jags, Alderweireld, Distin, Alcaraz, Heitinga, Duffy

LB - Evra, Oviedo

RM/Winger - Mirallas, Deulofeu

CM's - McCarthy, Tadic, Chantome, Gibbo, Barkley, Naismith, Osman, Junior

LM/Winger - Pienaar, Atsu, Gueye

Strikers - Jelavic, Kone, Anichebe, Vellios

I've even left some fringe players out of that squad and it looks shit hot.

I think people on here might be bumming McCarthy up a bit too much, talking about him as tho he is a mix of Roy Keane and Bryan Robson, he is nowhere near all the adulation he gets on here.

I hope peeps are not disappointed if we do get him.

Well said Bill, Europes big boy's are hardly all forming an orderly que for him are they, there has to be a reason, i feel the asking price is too much just for starts.

I think the reason that no one in europe is forming an orderly queue for him is the same reason why many fans didn't want Martinez - he was at lowly, skint and unfashionable Wigan. Ahhh but if he was getting great passing, intercepting and work rate stats in a glory team like Spurs he would be having Levy slapping a £25m price on him. The reality is McCarthy ran the midfield against Spurs when they beat them 1-0 at WHL.

Again the same applies for McCarthy as it did for Kone and Martinez - the fact that they succeeded at a low resourced club should be the reason that they are rated.

I'm not saying he is the next Steven Gerrard, but I would say he is more suited to RM style than Fellaini and would be the perfect support for Barkley (who some on here never believed would prove his 'hype'), who we will build the team around. For what we can afford, knowing what we will get I believe him to be the best option.

£10m plus add ons to £12/£13m would be a reasonable deal.

I think people need to move away from the "midfielder, how many assists and goals?" stat. We had Time Cahill who was a goal machine in midfield but lets be honest as a midfielder tackling, passing, intercepting etc he was pretty average and we needed two central players supprting him.

McCarthy is a similar type of player to Carrick who many credit with being uniteds key player aside from RVP last season.

Edited by Hafnia

I think people on here might be bumming McCarthy up a bit too much, talking about him as tho he is a mix of Roy Keane and Bryan Robson, he is nowhere near all the adulation he gets on here.

I hope peeps are not disappointed if we do get him.

I'm not going to hype him up to that extent but from watching him, even before we were linked, I've thought he'd be an excellent signing for us. The fact that he's comfortable in Martinez's systems just adds to that further. As haf said £10m plus add-ons would be money well spent in my opinion.

Felli/Gibbo/Barry/McCarthy would be enough cover in the deeper cm role with Barkley/Osman further up. I'd be very optimistic if this was the case - should Felli and or Baines go then we've got some serious work in the market to do!!!

I'm not going to hype him up to that extent but from watching him, even before we were linked, I've thought he'd be an excellent signing for us. The fact that he's comfortable in Martinez's systems just adds to that further. As haf said £10m plus add-ons would be money well spent in my opinion.

Felli/Gibbo/Barry/McCarthy would be enough cover in the deeper cm role with Barkley/Osman further up. I'd be very optimistic if this was the case - should Felli and or Baines go then we've got some serious work in the market to do!!!

I'm actually surprised Moyes hasn't lined up McCarthy, I dare say that if it wasn't down to the fact that he hasn't signed the Football Manager Fanboy Marquee signing as yet, then he would look at McCarthy. That is the bracket of the market that Moyes loves operating in.

Just want this window to get sorted now, don't agree with 2nd September at all.

If your benchmark for signing players is whether Europe's top sides are after them then... actually never mind.

There have been some ridiculously wealthy players who stole a living because top sides were after them....

Denilson

Robinho

Veron

Robbie Keane

Aquilani

David Bentley

Upson