IGNORED

Fellaini & Baines joint bid

I do worry that if Baines and Fellaini got that we will spend most of the money on McCarthy. Did anybody else see football focus when they were talking about UTD and Everton saying the signings that Martinez has done haven't shown anything ambition in the transfer market. They were talking about United and Fellaini and Baines saying to me when a manager goes back to there old club to get a player it isn't showing anything in the transfer market. The cowards way out as they know they have performed for them before so hope it will happen again...I do like McCarthey but dont wnat to spend 15-20 million on him,.

They were talking about United and Fellaini and Baines saying to me when a manager goes back to there old club to get a player it isn't showing anything in the transfer market. The cowards way out as they know they have performed for them before so hope it will happen again...I do like McCarthey but dont wnat to spend 15-20 million on him,.

That's ridiculous.

I do worry that if Baines and Fellaini got that we will spend most of the money on McCarthy. Did anybody else see football focus when they were talking about UTD and Everton saying the signings that Martinez has done haven't shown anything ambition in the transfer market. They were talking about United and Fellaini and Baines saying to me when a manager goes back to there old club to get a player it isn't showing anything in the transfer market. The cowards way out as they know they have performed for them before so hope it will happen again...I do like McCarthey but dont wnat to spend 15-20 million on him,.

Ah footy focus... those boys are good, they do an hours worth of reading the daily mail match reports, trawl a few united forums and toe the party line. The only one I think has any sense is Lee Dixon (hope it wasnt him who stated it)

McCarthy's stats last season were comparable to the media darling that is Michael Carrick... You know the one that pundits praise to the heavens to make them look like they know what they are talking about because you don't see him do the glamour stuff. The reality is that they are both effective players. United wouldn't sell Carrick for less than £20m - so under £15m is good business for McCarthy.

What does it show though, it basically shows they can't do anything in the transfer market except go for players from the former club.

yeah, I think Mourinho is a coward, what an idiot having carvalho in 3 of his succesful teams.... I think he also re-signed deco and tried to get Drogba and Lampard at other trophy winning clubs...

I think the reason that no one in europe is forming an orderly queue for him is the same reason why many fans didn't want Martinez - he was at lowly, skint and unfashionable Wigan. Ahhh but if he was getting great passing, intercepting and work rate stats in a glory team like Spurs he would be having Levy slapping a £25m price on him. The reality is McCarthy ran the midfield against Spurs when they beat them 1-0 at WHL.

Again the same applies for McCarthy as it did for Kone and Martinez - the fact that they succeeded at a low resourced club should be the reason that they are rated.

I'm not saying he is the next Steven Gerrard, but I would say he is more suited to RM style than Fellaini and would be the perfect support for Barkley (who some on here never believed would prove his 'hype'), who we will build the team around. For what we can afford, knowing what we will get I believe him to be the best option.

£10m plus add ons to £12/£13m would be a reasonable deal.

I think people need to move away from the "midfielder, how many assists and goals?" stat. We had Time Cahill who was a goal machine in midfield but lets be honest as a midfielder tackling, passing, intercepting etc he was pretty average and we needed two central players supprting him.

McCarthy is a similar type of player to Carrick who many credit with being uniteds key player aside from RVP last season.

Id say Barkley has more potential than McCarthy in the long run, and the more i think about it off the back of J's comments yesterday, McCarthy is more of a replacement for Gibson than Fellaini. My only issue with the McCarthy thing is the price, it's crazy money, we are talking the same money as the Manc's were trying to offer for Fellaini and more than what they did for Baines. I really hope Roberto can swing something with DW on this as anymore than £10m and i really don't see where the value is tbh, i think we could get better elsewhere. Lets just wait and see at the moment. Id really rather see us sign a Tiote type, christ for £15m we could probably get Cabeye(worth a try)

Id say Barkley has more potential than McCarthy in the long run, and the more i think about it off the back of J's comments yesterday, McCarthy is more of a replacement for Gibson than Fellaini. My only issue with the McCarthy thing is the price, it's crazy money, we are talking the same money as the Manc's were trying to offer for Fellaini and more than what they did for Baines. I really hope Roberto can swing something with DW on this as anymore than £10m and i really don't see where the value is tbh, i think we could get better elsewhere. Lets just wait and see at the moment. Id really rather see us sign a Tiote type, christ for £15m we could probably get Cabeye(worth a try)

The value in McCarthy is that for the £15million you're buying someone to play at the heart of your midfield for the next 10 years.

Thats only if he is as good as people think he is, I'm holding fire on this one.

Personally i think there are better options in europe and abroad at £15m.

I have to say i do like the player but overall im leaning towards your viewpoint Bill, i agree, there must be other options for that kind of money.

Thats only if he is as good as people think he is, I'm holding fire on this one.

Personally i think there are better options in europe and abroad at £15m.

The problem with players in Europe is that using Veron as an example - he cost Man United £28.1m, was quality at Lazio, was brilliant for Argentina, but just couldn't adapt. We also seen this with Bilyaletdinov, schevchenko, zhirkov, Hugo Viana, Steve Marlet, Dos Santos. Big wastes of money.

McCarthy has proven he can mix it with the best at this level, plays the passing game, has a tremendous work rate, is young and knows RM's system.

Look at what united ended up with in RVP - they knew they were getting a proven premierleague goalscorer, they paid a bit more than they would for a 29 year old who banged goals in over in france, but thats the difference.

Newcastle tried this approach and missed more than hit with their signings. Pardew laughingly threatens them with fines for not speaking english!

I'd sooner go with what we know for a next midfielder.

The problem with players in Europe is that using Veron as an example - he cost Man United £28.1m, was quality at Lazio, was brilliant for Argentina, but just couldn't adapt. We also seen this with Bilyaletdinov, schevchenko, zhirkov, Hugo Viana, Steve Marlet, Dos Santos. Big wastes of money.

McCarthy has proven he can mix it with the best at this level, plays the passing game, has a tremendous work rate, is young and knows RM's system.

Look at what united ended up with in RVP - they knew they were getting a proven premierleague goalscorer, they paid a bit more than they would for a 29 year old who banged goals in over in france, but thats the difference.

Newcastle tried this approach and missed more than hit with their signings. Pardew laughingly threatens them with fines for not speaking english!

I'd sooner go with what we know for a next midfielder.

I know what your saying, but you failed to list any of the players from Europe that have done well in the PL, and there have been lots.

I think your argument is a tad bias!

I know what your saying, but you failed to list any of the players from Europe that have done well in the PL, and there have been lots.

I think your argument is a tad bias!

Haf's also forgetting the countless players who did well at one PL club then failed at another. Having said that I do think McCarthy has what it takes to become an important player for us. Then again, I wouldn't pay 15m for him either. He also isn't really a Fellaini replacement, more of an upgrade on Gibson for me. We'd still need someone to play next to him. Someone in that Touré/Sissoko/Fer/Diamé mould. Not a "destroyer", but a fast and physical box-to-box player who will also win tackles and headers.

living up to its nickname of the daily fail i see...

I like the statement that Fellaini is "afraid" of having another successful season. As if increasing the number of teams that would be interested in him as well as ensuring himself an even more expensive contract would be undesirable.

Sounds like he could still be at Everton with that soundbite.

Ha ha, I laughed when I read it, what a tit he is. He has the money (supposedly) to buy any player in the world bar a couple, but the idiot comes out with his everton shite "we tried to do a loan deal" "you can't buy if the players aren't available".

I hope he gets fuck all, I hope McCarthy signs and is made as some form of "tv rights" money. (Where's the arteta money bill?!"

He has been so short sighted and wasted too much time dithering and taking the piss, not to mention pursuing a player who was never gonna leave barca.

Look at the midfielders that have been signed paulinho, fernandinho, thiago. Any of those would have beefed up their midfield. He will do his usual last minute panic buy, when he realises he ain't gonna get away with it.

Managing expectations again. Make the fans greatful when he signs someone, anyone, because its better than they expected.

I just really hope they dont sign either of our two, and we dominate them at GP this season.

Feeling quite bitter towards him at the moment, his fault or not.

Edited by StevO