IGNORED

Our commercial dept and new kits

Mike Preece

I don't answer rhetorical questions Romey :D

was just curiosity. Pretty sure it was you who was disappointed when Umbro were announced, saying they were an old man brand and not progressive like Nike. These 2 kits have shown they can make quality stuff, so wondering if you still see them as an old man brand or not? Or should the initial scepticism be withdrawn?

was just curiosity. Pretty sure it was you who was disappointed when Umbro were announced, saying they were an old man brand and not progressive like Nike. These 2 kits have shown they can make quality stuff, so wondering if you still see them as an old man brand or not? Or should the initial scepticism be withdrawn?

I like the kits and was surprised. However as a brand they are nowhere near Nike. I like Nikes kits a lot. Edited by MiguelCotto

PK98jdl.png

I recently made a post on Reddit about the poor handling of our recent exposure in the USA, mainly encouraging new fans from the US more than having a go at the commercial department.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Everton/comments/2bzd50/amevertonians_how_to_increase_everton_presence_in/

Is it possible that the EPL fan-base in the USA is asymptoping--a little each year, compared to say a few years ago? If true, most everyone who is gonna watch the EPL is likely already doing so, and they already have a team (one of the big four). Hence, it's gonna be difficult to mobilize a broad movement of new Evertonians in my mind because all the truly devoted folks who like the EPL already watch the EPL. Make no mistake, the WC will draw a new crop of folks who discovered they like soccer and crave more, but only a small percentage are gonna chose the Blues because of Howard and they are likely to be fair-weather fans. It will be interesting to see NBC's numbers next season. They doubled the viewership compared to FOX, but viewership is absolutely low for nation of TV-obsessed folks, something like 500K on average, per game. I would recokon about 5-10% of those are Evertonians, and a much smaller percentage are gonna be new Everton fans. And while having Everton kit/gear readily available in stores will certainly improve the team's visibility, most Americans will still be multi-team supporters and even new American Evertonians might not opt to spend 100$ on a new jersey if they already own a Steelers Jersey, Red Sox Jersey, etc. Hence, Everton would be making a push into a market that might not be worth it. (Though if EPL viewership keeps doubling each year, that would be impressive).

That said, there certainly has been an increase in Everton forum memberships from Americans due specifically to TH and USA friendlies/WC matches across a few Everton fan forums in the past few months, but this increase appears to be about a hundred or so. Certainly existing fans can, or should, do their part by joining Everton official supporters clubs in the USA as this allows the club to keep track of foreign markets. Certainly an American sponsor, similar to AIG, would change the market a bit as well (e.g., Everton might come to the USA more, rather than say Bangkok).

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, so my apologies. Just thinking off the cuff, and I might be wrong about all this.

Edited by verreauxi

I don't think I've ever seen an Everton shirt in a store here (USA). I've seen barca, man united, all that crap. Everton desperately needs to visit the states more often.

I want a long sleeve of the new home shirt but am torn on size. Wish I could try one on...

I think it might make a difference being in the states rather than ordering from abroad. Hopefully this is the start.

Being announced by Umbro makes me think this was their influence rather than Kit Bags.

Yeah I'm not criticising it, it's certainly a start.

How does $99.99 stack up against the cost of an American football/basketball/baseball shirt?

Yeah I'm not criticising it, it's certainly a start.

How does $99.99 stack up against the cost of an American football/basketball/baseball shirt?

It's the same price as your standard replica American football jersey and baseball jersey (both with name and number though), $20 more than a basketball jersey with name and number, and about $30 less than your standard replica hockey jersey without name and number (with these it is about $170).

A major difference is that these teams don't tend to change their jersey every single season. Sometimes the manufacturer changes, but the design/number style stays the same. Sometimes the team does an overhaul of it's branding, but this happens only to some teams, and it will happen once every decade or so. So, you don't feel obligated to buy a new shirt every year to keep up with the changes. You end up buying a new one, usually, if your team either signs or trades away a player you like(d). I tend to wear the jerseys of retired players who remain either highly thought of or who will at least inspire some conversation. I, and most of my friends, buy our jerseys used off of ebay. I haven't bought a "new" jersey at full price since 2003 or so, and I own a plethora of hockey jerseys and a few football ones.

Everton shirts, though, it's every year. And, the shitty part about it is I look at the shirt and the relatively little amount of work that went into it's manufacturing, when compared to, say, American football jerseys, and I think "why in the hell would this cost $100 for just the blank shirt"? And I think, "how can this be rationalized every year?"

It's the same price as your standard replica American football jersey and baseball jersey (both with name and number though), $20 more than a basketball jersey with name and number, and about $30 less than your standard replica hockey jersey without name and number (with these it is about $170).

A major difference is that these teams don't tend to change their jersey every single season. Sometimes the manufacturer changes, but the design/number style stays the same. Sometimes the team does an overhaul of it's branding, but this happens only to some teams, and it will happen once every decade or so. So, you don't feel obligated to buy a new shirt every year to keep up with the changes. You end up buying a new one, usually, if your team either signs or trades away a player you like(d). I tend to wear the jerseys of retired players who remain either highly thought of or who will at least inspire some conversation. I, and most of my friends, buy our jerseys used off of ebay. I haven't bought a "new" jersey at full price since 2003 or so, and I own a plethora of hockey jerseys and a few football ones.

Everton shirts, though, it's every year. And, the shitty part about it is I look at the shirt and the relatively little amount of work that went into it's manufacturing, when compared to, say, American football jerseys, and I think "why in the hell would this cost $100 for just the blank shirt"? And I think, "how can this be rationalized every year?"

Thanks for that. Fair points.

Why do they have to change the colour of socks every year? For me, they really should be blue, not white.

its not really every year Steve, its just whatever they go with at the time.

I've got to be honest, I think the current navy socks look brilliant. They wore white for Ossies testermonial, I thought they didnt look half as good.