IGNORED

Jack Rodwell

I'm not really sure there's anything wrong with having 3 or 4 healthy players to compete for 2 midfield spots. Gibbo's always injured, and Barry is on in years. The ability to rotate quality starters is what we need. So, he doesn't really need to "replace" anybody, as none of them should be guaranteed a starting place in the first place.

Of course, but we're not getting him for free. Especially for a team like us, where every penny counts, we have to be smart with what moves we make. Would Rodwell be nice to have and give us some really good depth down the middle? Definitely. Is he a player we need? Not really. McCarthy is here for the long-haul and Barry seems likely to stay beyond this season. I think we'd be far better suited in adding a young central defender.

Looks a good footballer yet isn't a good footballer. If you catch my drift

You mean he's an athlete more than he's a footballer i.e. has a great physique, is a good looking kid, stylish, tall, strong etc, but when it comes down it he lacks vision, technique and the ability to control a game.

Similar to how an alien would look at C Ronaldo and Messi and assume the former is superior, until he saw them playing...

I'd always take guys like Cazorla, Mata, Ozil and Silva over Bale, Walcott etc.

• 3 months later...
Guest rusty747

I tend to agree but I guess I am restricting my net to who I think we might stand a decent chance of actually getting. For me, Rodders has the talent but he has been unlucky with injuries which has affected both his development and, more importantly, his confidence. If we can get him, get him fit, confident and developing under Bobby M I think there just might be a good player in there bursting to get out. Lots of ifs I grant you but worth a punt on a seasons loan for me.

One thing I really noticed when he made his second England appearance is that he ventured a lot further up the pitch than he did for Everton and he looked confident and effective bringing the ball forward and looking forward for a pass. Presumably he was instructed not to play like that for Everton at the time. This makes me think that he would be the ideal addition to our midfield stable because he could comfortably slot in for Barry or McCarthy and I think Martinez would restore his confidence and bring the best out of him.

But of course the big if - a MASSIVE 'if' - is whether he could stay fit. Unfortunately it looks as though Everton and Man City have thrown their considerable resources and expertise at the problem and failed to find a solution, which is a real shame.

Unfortunately for Jack, I think he should have been a CB like he was in his younger days because I dont think he is good enough with the ball to play for a top club in midfield.

He didnt seem to be the greatest of defenders which would obviously be a worry but he must have been doing something right in his younger days to make it through the ranks playing there, only to come into the first team as a midfielder (from DM, RM and AM). If anything I think he probably played his best games for us in the advanced midfield role because he gave us some real energy going forward and I remember him being excellent against Hull where I think he played with Yakubu ahead of him.

Its a shame that he cant get fit, but Mancini must have seen something in him because as soon as he did get fit he was a part of the first team set up.

Never rated him to be honest and would want someone who can make a difference

We don't need someone to make a difference at central midfield, nor do we have the cash to prioritize that position over bringing in a top forward. We've got McCarthy, Barry, Gibson who all are quality players who can play that position, plus Osman for cover, but he's fading quickly and no one knows if and when Lundstram will be ready for first team football in the Premiership. We need someone who can be a stable player who can do a job when asked, and we can use the rest of the transfer kitty for greater priorities, not central midfield.

We need another player, but would be wise to buy for cover here rather than a superstar at 15m+. Rodwell would fit this exactly if he were cheap, but to be honest, he's way too injury prone. This hamstring thing looks like it could be a problem that follows him throughout his career, so I'm not sure he's the right buy. Too bad Hull are doing well, because I'd say that Tom Huddlestone would be a great buy, or maybe Mark Noble if he were cheap (though I have more questions about his ability)... Maybe Anderson at Man U, but he's on loan at Italy now....

My point is, we need another holding midfielder at the club, but given our current squad, it would be a waste to spend our limited transfer budget on a superstar at that position given that we have three capable players there.

I liked him and would love him back, he could potentially start and it not would be a great squad player, also a blue which is a plus!

plus he never wanted to leave apparently. If, and it's a big IF, he can stay fit, would love him back. Said it somewhere else, McCarthy, Rodwell and Barkley going forward? Potentially a great 10 year trio.

We all agree. Rodwell would be a solid squad player at the very least, and could possibly develop into a great player. It's his fitness though. He literally can't stay fit for a three month period it seems. That's scary. I might take a punt on him if the fee was very, very minimal, but something tells me he's got a few years left on his contract at City, and they would ask for at least 6-8m for him... We've already got one quality midfielder who can't stay off the physio's table (Gibson).

We all agree. Rodwell would be a solid squad player at the very least, and could possibly develop into a great player. It's his fitness though. He literally can't stay fit for a three month period it seems. That's scary. I might take a punt on him if the fee was very, very minimal, but something tells me he's got a few years left on his contract at City, and they would ask for at least 6-8m for him... We've already got one quality midfielder who can't stay off the physio's table (Gibson).

hopefully he and Gibson could take turns warming the physio table, we know they wouldn't be able to play at the same time! :lol:

Guest blueboy122

We don't need someone to make a difference at central midfield, nor do we have the cash to prioritize that position over bringing in a top forward. We've got McCarthy, Barry, Gibson who all are quality players who can play that position, plus Osman for cover, but he's fading quickly and no one knows if and when Lundstram will be ready for first team football in the Premiership. We need someone who can be a stable player who can do a job when asked, and we can use the rest of the transfer kitty for greater priorities, not central midfield.

We need another player, but would be wise to buy for cover here rather than a superstar at 15m+. Rodwell would fit this exactly if he were cheap, but to be honest, he's way too injury prone. This hamstring thing looks like it could be a problem that follows him throughout his career, so I'm not sure he's the right buy. Too bad Hull are doing well, because I'd say that Tom Huddlestone would be a great buy, or maybe Mark Noble if he were cheap (though I have more questions about his ability)... Maybe Anderson at Man U, but he's on loan at Italy now....

My point is, we need another holding midfielder at the club, but given our current squad, it would be a waste to spend our limited transfer budget on a superstar at that position given that we have three capable players there.

What....

I want players who are going to push us on and take us to the next level..

Were has it been mentioned that the priority is a CM

Stevie Wonder could see that we need a forward more than any other position

My heart says it should be, young, loves Everton (did you see him waiting to greet the players when we played at City). If we could get him on a season loan next season (after signing Barry), I think we would be in a better position to judge his fitness and how he progresses. Having players like McCarthy, Barry and Barkley might spur him on, plus I thing Martinez is better at developing players than Moyes.

Having him on loan also frees up cash to strengthen elsewhere.

My head says we need someone who is a bit more reliable, less injury prone and ready to help us step up.

Edited by London Blue

My heart says it should be, young, loves Everton (did you see him waiting to greet the players when we played at City). If we could get him on a season loan next season (after signing Barry), I think we would be in a better position to judge his fitness and how he progresses. Having players like McCarthy, Barry and Barkley might spur him on, plus I thing Martinez is better at developing players than Moyes.

Having him on loan also frees up cash to strengthen elsewhere.

My head says we need someone who is a bit more reliable, less injury prone and ready to help us step up.

I don't want him here because I don't think he's good enough. His rubbish fitness is just an added negative point.

I like Rodwell. He is a very tidy player it is just his fitness.

When he left a lot of people spoke about his ability and the fact that he was not progressing. But was this down to ability or his injurys? lets look at it objectively.

He was in the England squad and looked good when he appeared.

When he did play for us we rated him as a 20m player. it was onlt his injurys that brought this down.

On his seldom appearances for city, i have to say i was suprised at how well he performed.

So in my opinion if we could get him on the right deal.. a small fee that would grow with appearances. This would protect us from his injurys and also from him not performing and playing. it all depends on the deal to bring him in.

I agree with others that we need strenghtening in this area. at times Barry/McCarthy have looked great but we have witnessed them both having anonymous days too. Barkley is a liability in the holding area and Ossie is just inefective there.