IGNORED

Jack Rodwell

I've been trying to think of some examples (but can't) of:

- players that played really well for club,

- Left the club in a high

- didn't play or play well for the club they went to.

- went back to the club they left and most importantly went on to play really well from that point onwards.

Any examples you can think of?

Duncan Ferguson perhaps? Despite him being a legend I'm not sure if when he returned after Newcastle he was as good as before he left...

I'm sure there must be some...

Pienaar.

I've been trying to think of some examples (but can't) of:

- players that played really well for club,

- Left the club in a high

- didn't play or play well for the club they went to.

- went back to the club they left and most importantly went on to play really well from that point onwards.

Any examples you can think of?

Duncan Ferguson perhaps? Despite him being a legend I'm not sure if when he returned after Newcastle he was as good as before he left...

I'm sure there must be some...

Pienaar.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure that I'd characterize Jack Rodwell as a misfit.

Me neither, seeing him go to West Brom or Newcastle would be very sad; he had so much potential it'd be a tragedy if he played out his career in mid/lower table mediocrity. Have his lack of appearances at City been down mostly to injury or just not being picked? I'm really undecided on whether I'd like him back or not, at his best he'd be a great asset to the squad but has his best already gone?

Me neither, seeing him go to West Brom or Newcastle would be very sad; he had so much potential it'd be a tragedy if he played out his career in mid/lower table mediocrity. Have his lack of appearances at City been down mostly to injury or just not being picked? I'm really undecided on whether I'd like him back or not, at his best he'd be a great asset to the squad but has his best already gone?

I'd give him another chance. I think he just can't find playing time at City. We could use him for Europe/cup matches.

I've gotta say; all the signings that are looking the most likely so far for us this summer (Rodwell, Cleverley, Traore) I'm not feeling very inspired or excited. I hope Martinez has some good signings lined up that are more likely to make a difference.

Agreed. I have to say that all three could make decent squad players, but wouldn't improve on quality.

The way I see it our 1984 team was made up of unfulfilled talent. Injury or whatever, we got Reid and gray who were written off. Great talent just needed the break. Even sheedy was a bit of a chance from Liverpool

'84 Cup winning twelve at a time when the transfer record was £1.5m, so only Adrian Heath cost serious money.

Southall from Bury £150,000
Stevens through the ranks
Bailey from Blackburn £300,000
Ratcliffe through the ranks
Mountfield from Tranmere £30,000
Reid from Bolton (Can't find the fee but it wasn't much)
Steven from Burnley £300,000
Heath from Stoke £750,000
Sharp from Dumbarton £120,000
Gray from Wolves £250,000
Richardson through the ranks
Harper from Liverpool £100,000
I know it's a very different game today but it makes interesting reading.

I would however love irony if we were to sign Rodwell cut price and he were to kick on and get near that potential he had... Now he is older is it time to move him back to CB?!

That was always mooted as his where he'd end up but we don't need another center back do we?

That was always mooted as his where he'd end up but we don't need another center back do we?

Maybe not for this next season, depending on how Duffy has developed I guess... But given Martinez's on the ball style, if Rodwell is to become a reliable, solid CB, I couldn't think of a pairing more comfortable on the Ball then both Stones and Rodders... That and I strongly enjoy seeing English pairings (and I'm Australian)

I would however love irony if we were to sign Rodwell cut price and he were to kick on and get near that potential he had... Now he is older is it time to move him back to CB?!

I agree, not this season but assuming RM eventually adopts to a 3 in the back formation, would he be able to play there?

'84 Cup winning twelve at a time when the transfer record was £1.5m, so only Adrian Heath cost serious money.

Southall from Bury £150,000
Stevens through the ranks
Bailey from Blackburn £300,000
Ratcliffe through the ranks
Mountfield from Tranmere £30,000
Reid from Bolton (Can't find the fee but it wasn't much)
Steven from Burnley £300,000
Heath from Stoke £750,000
Sharp from Dumbarton £120,000
Gray from Wolves £250,000
Richardson through the ranks
Harper from Liverpool £100,000
I know it's a very different game today but it makes interesting reading.

Reidy cost us a cool £60k

I loved Peter Reid... Loved him. My first Everton game was meant to be against Sheffield Wednesday at home. I think Brian Marwood done Adrian Heath and basically ended his career for what it was. Reid sorted him. I missed that game, but was at next one.