IGNORED

Jack Rodwell

I would however love irony if we were to sign Rodwell cut price and he were to kick on and get near that potential he had... Now he is older is it time to move him back to CB?!

The one time I watched Rodwell play CB made me never want to see it again. Couldn't believe he'd played there most of his career (to that point).

I'd take Rodwell back. Ideally a loan deal with a view to a permanent if he impresses. I just remember the quality he had when he first came on the scene. Pace, strength, good in the air, two footed, incredibly composed on the ball. Never hoofed it for the sake of it, always looked for a blue shirt. I remember him coming on against Liverpool in that FA cup game and controlling the game. Everything went through him. Now for a 19 year old to do that in such an occassion was impressive and I remember thinking "wow, he's some player". Since then he's had injury problems and a move to a club where he really hasn't got a chance to break through. I think City signed him and Scott Sinclair just to up their English based players to register. A fit and healthy Rodwell (I know, big ask) under a coach like Martinez just screams YES at me. I honestly think Martinez could take him back to the level he once was and better. Two good seasons and he'd be back in the England fold in my opinion. As I said, I would like a loan to judge him on his first season with a view to buy. We need a squad next year, and Rodwell is someone I would take back in a heartbeat.

Edited by Geth

no matter what we say, he's signing!!!

any club that have made world class signings and have numerous options at there disposal in that position will be linked to everton or signed for thst matter.

no longer will there be a stand out signing without the smell of the othrr team bettering that position or a major drop in wages.

Its lucky we get the best out of these players cause we have become the charity that collect there unwanted clothes.

Edited by Brett Angel

Serious question because I genuinely do not know the answer to it. If Man City had signed Rodwell from, let's say, Aston Villa instead of Everton, would anyone here really want him?

If he'd shown the promise at Villa that he did at Everton then yes.

I think its very easy to look at the likes of Cleverley and Rodwell and think "not all that, can't hack it, over rated at a young age etc etc"

Some young players are often over burdened with "tags" and find themselves in a position where they have gone from youth team star to a player the fans are looking to replace an experienced campaigner.

I look at Barkley and think "what would have happened to him if Martinez never got hold of him" - he was on a down hill spiral, a player who looked like he may end up in league one due to "incorrect man management for his type of footballing personality" - shall we say. Lets be honest even with a great season for Everton, Hodgson proved that certain managers just aren't right for certain players.

I also look at players like Arteta, Pienaar, Gibson, who just needed that move to a "family atmosphere" club and to play in front of fans who will give them love if they give us commitment.

I honestly believe there is a player there in Rodwell, just like I believe so in Cleverley. The club that gets them and taps into that potential will get £20m worth of talent on the cheap. I also believe that to be the case with Danny Welbeck, but I don't want to send the forum into meltdown - i've had a long hard look at him and I honestly feel that with some specific coaching on his decision making and help with composure he can be a very good player. As an athlete he is very gifted.

If we had a cautious manager I would not be in for these players - we don't though, we have a manager who is a very clever psychologist and motivator - look what he did with Callum McManaman and Maloney - players who are very much "confidence players".

This is the difference between Moyes and Martinez for me. Give Moyes a player with limited ability and he will relish getting 100% effort and discipline. Give Martinez a player with plenty of talent and he will get them playing with 100% confidence and freedom.

Both have their merits, but the latter is what wins trophies.

haf, its like you went into my head and typed up exactly how i feel. agree with pretty much everything you said.

i would happily take rodwell, cleverly and welbeck at the right price.

Agreed! And we could get all 3 for roughly the same price Lukaku is expected to go too. My main issue with Rodwell isn't his ability, it's his fitness issues. The lack of first team football at City probably hasn't helped

Only problem with Rodwell is his injuries. Could be a great player but injuries has hampered his progress. I believe if he stayed fit he would have got into City first team.

It is a risk if we bought him back anyway.

Jack Rodwell or Tom Cleverley?

Cleverly or his OCD twin, Cleverley Edited by Matt

That's like needing a new babysitter and having the choice of Gary Glitter or Rolf Harris.

Jaysus I just snotted all over the keyboard.

That is a real Romey Politically Incorrect statement, so bleedin funny (in a bad way of course) :rofl::rofl::rofl: