IGNORED

Luke Garbutt

To get the best out of our multitude of central players we almost NEED to go 3 at the back. Baines hasn’t got the legs to bomb up and down the left but he’s still an asset even though our defence is a bit of a shambles at the moment - it needs a shake up. I wouldn’t discount Baines as an option at left centre back in a back 3 with Garbutt and Kenny bringing much needed energy to the wing back positions. Unsworth has said that Garbutt has done a lot on the defensive side of his game - he’s always looked to have an incredible left foot and be a top prospect - I still hold faint hopes for him here.

We desperately need Garbutt to come good really. There is no chance Baines can go through this whole season and look anywhere near a decent player - the longer the season goes with him playing every minute of every game the more likely it is that he's going to start looking a poor player. He deserves better than to be run into the ground and having fans criticise him. 

51 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Koeman must really think Martina can play both sides after not registering Garbutt and sending Galloway and Robinson on loan.

I seem to recall Cuco had his best game for us when he played left back on one occasion; don't remember who it was against.

2 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Koeman must really think Martina can play both sides after not registering Garbutt and sending Galloway and Robinson on loan.

Tbf, Garbutt has barely played any sort of football for quite some time, Galloway is a shit left back and Robinson had never played above U23 level. 

29 minutes ago, MikeO said:

But (as pointed out above) he can't be because he's not registered in the first team squad at home or in Europe.

Sorry, that will teach me for not reading the whole thread!

If we get through after Christmas he can be registered, and be put in the league squad.

Cup games he can play in tho, can't he?

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Not good enough.

He's 24 and not made an impression, so I don't think that will change going forward. He's not a youngster anymore.

Leon Osman didn't play regularly for our first team till he was 23. 433 games later, I think it's fair to say he made an impression. 

21 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Not good enough.

He's 24 and not made an impression, so I don't think that will change going forward. He's not a youngster anymore.

Some people develop later than others, eg Ossie only became a regular at 24 and then played 350+ games for us; I'm not writing him off yet.

Just now, nogs said:

Leon Osman didn't play regularly for our first team till he was 23. 433 games later, I think it's fair to say he made an impression. 

Just now, MikeO said:

Some people develop later than others, eg Ossie only became a regular at 24 and then played 350+ games for us; I'm not writing him off yet.

Wow.