IGNORED

Luke Garbutt

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Some people develop later than others, eg Ossie only became a regular at 24 and then played 350+ games for us; I'm not writing him off yet.

Yes, and we released Toto Nsiala at age 20 who has gone on to play for Southport, Hartlepool, Accrington Stanley, and Shrewsbury Town - some people are simply not good enough. 

1 minute ago, Quinn31 said:

Yes, and we released Toto Nsiala at age 20 who has gone on to play for Southport, Hartlepool, Accrington Stanley, and Shrewsbury Town - some people are simply not good enough. 

No doubting that, most players who come through the ranks aren't good enough in fact; I'm just still holding out some hope for Luke.

The difference is Garbutt has had some albeit very little first team action and has shown flashes of what could be.. 

Kenny is testament to giving a player a chance and not many would have wanted him thrown into the mix before the season started and he's faired very well the same with Holgate 

I still hold put hope the lad will come good the little I personally saw I thought  there was definitely a good player in there 

12 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

The only reason Ossie was a late developer was because he suffered a career threatening long term knee injury just as he was breaking through from the youth team

He was 17/18 when that happened, roughly six years before he became a fixture, so I don't think that argument carries much water. It may have had a small influence but nothing major.

He was 17/18 when that happened, roughly six years before he became a fixture, so I don't think that argument carries much water. It may have had a small influence but nothing major.

Pretty sure it was later than that, he captained the FA Youth Cup winning team so I reckon he must have been about 21 when it happened

1 hour ago, Quinn31 said:

We also released Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines from our Academy before they were old enough to sign professional contracts and ended up spending upwards of £10m signing them back a decade or so later. 

Out of interest, how much of Luke Garbutt have you seen play? 

So three years before he got established; kind of midway between what you were saying and what I was, so we were both wrong (or equally right which sounds better[emoji3]).

[emoji23] we will split the difference and both be right!

Although technically I still might be right anyway, if the injury was after 17th May it means he will have been 21 [emoji12]

He has a left foot, so he'll at least be able to play the ball down the line and put in a cross other than Cucos floaters.

I'll be surprised if he suddenly suited that's he's premier league quality, but Sydney things have certainly happened.

Omitting him and Niasse from the squads were two of Koemans most bizarre decisions