IGNORED

Luke Garbutt

I think Holgate and Davies will get a bit of playing time this season, but I'd doubt they would get more than a few starts. But two kids getting into the first team is still pretty good going. I'd much rather have quality senior players and not have to rely on the kids though, with the exceptional talents shining through.

• 5 months later...

What is the situation with Garbutt?? Wasn't in the U-23 squad against man u today and looks like he hasn't played for them since his return from loan.. Is he out injured? or not playing because of some other restriction?

With Connolly out on loan and Garbutt seemingly unavailable, I'm struggling to think of who Koeman means when he says there are young players who can fill in as backup LWB/LB with Oviedo's departure.

Scary to say the least.

I hope Garbutt is in the squad for Wednesday or a replacement lined up.

I think we might be in for a surprise or two on deadline day.

Wouldn't it be nice to hear a name like Aaron Cresswell mentioned (although, in many ways, I'd prefer Garbutt because of his age).

Edited by Cornish Steve

Why do people keep talking about Connolly as a back-up to our left side?

Connolly is playing RB at Wigan but you might remember he made his Everton debut last season against Southampton as a LB. He also started a handful of games for the U21/23's this season and last at LB.

Unsworth has praised his versatility saying that he's equally comfortable at LB, CB, RB and DM. He posses the natural traits and skills to fit all of those positions - he's two footed, 183cm tall, has good heading ability, a goal scoring threat on set pieces, a solid tackler and can cross a ball (but could do with improving).

It's quite rare these days to develop players to play three or more positions but you can see how handy it is having a versatile player like that in your squad - think James Milner, Daley Blind, Philipp Lahm and David Alaba.

Connolly is playing RB at Wigan but you might remember he made his Everton debut last season against Southampton as a LB. He also started a handful of games for the U21/23's this season and last at LB.

Unsworth has praised his versatility saying that he's equally comfortable at LB, CB, RB and DM. He posses the natural traits and skills to fit all of those positions - he's two footed, 183cm tall, has good heading ability, a goal scoring threat on set pieces, a solid tackler and can cross a ball (but could do with improving).

It's quite rare these days to develop players to play three or more positions but you can see how handy it is having a versatile player like that in your squad - think James Milner, Daley Blind, Philipp Lahm and David Alaba.

Just seems like a way to fit both him and Kenny into the same side. I don't think it's any coincidence that at Wigan he's playing RB. It's his proper, and natural, position. Putting Connolly forward as LB cover is really pushing things.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/10/2017 at 18:28, Matt said:

Always thought there was something about him. Hope he makes the step up

Agree 

I always thought he would go on to become a mainstay in the side even possibly dislodge Baines at a fairly early stage in his time here as he looked quality to begin with 

Hopefully he keeps it up and is given a chance