IGNORED

Luke Garbutt

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

there are many strange happenings, this has got to be close to the top.  he's worth a game, just a chance at least.

Probably not that strange to be fair as he didn’t get a game at Fulham or Wigan and the last 3 managers haven’t seen anything. The problem is that we’re that shite, and Cuco is a big part of that, that anyone with a left foot is an upgrade.

He looks sharp for the U23s. Not being tested defensively but from an attacking perspective he is doing well. 

Yeah saw enough of him to merit giving the lad a go

I know Unsworth did a lot of work with him when he came back and it looks to have paid off with some good performances in th U23s
I know it’s a big jump up but he can’t really do any worse than Coco

20 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I know Unsworth did a lot of work with him when he came back and it looks to have paid off with some good performances in th U23s

Yeh I agree, we are getting anything out of Cuco playing. Its not like he is defensively solid but shit going forward. It might be that Garbutt is crap defending but at least we will get something out of him going forward.

9 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Can’t see any harm in giving him a go. He may even grab his chance with both hands. 

Money thing I did have always noticed with a Luke, is that he likes an early cross. No waiting all match for the perfect opportunity, just put it in a dangerous area and let the forwards to do the rest.

13 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Good on him. Hope he comes good.

There must be something about his ability that makes the club want to keep him, it's unusual for a club to keep a kid to the age of 24 with minimal first team action.

Then again, he's had Baines in his position who, until now, has been pretty immovable.

13 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think it's more a mix of earning the chance and desperation for a natural LB. Hope he comes good, I enjoyed watching him when he's played

6 hours ago, Matt said:

I think it's more a mix of earning the chance and desperation for a natural LB. Hope he comes good, I enjoyed watching him when he's played

PLEASE let this be the end of Cuco, no matter what the situation. Unsworth does seem to rate him, for what it’s worth.

Makes a mockery of when people say daft things like 'Davies will never be good enough!' Funnily enough, players can still get better after the age of 20!

Two things that are interesting are that he hasn't opted for a permanent move, which suggests he's either lazy or loves the club so much he's determined to nail down a place no matter how long it takes. Also, clearly it has been his defensive side that let's him down - so why has no one thought of converting him to a LM? 

51 minutes ago, nogs said:

Also, clearly it has been his defensive side that let's him down - so why has no one thought of converting him to a LM? 

Good question.  I thought Bryan Oviedo might have made a decent LW, better chance than as LB.  Like you, I suspect the same is true of Garbutt.

Still like to try him right now at LB until Baines returns (this season??).  At some point a couple of seasons ago Garbutt impressed several of us on TT as at least a future dependable squad player, so this seems the right moment to give him a chance.  It can't be true that Allardyce and his staff think Martina is anything other than a desperate stop-gap, can it?

1 hour ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Good question.  I thought Bryan Oviedo might have made a decent LW, better chance than as LB.  Like you, I suspect the same is true of Garbutt.

Still like to try him right now at LB until Baines returns (this season??).  At some point a couple of seasons ago Garbutt impressed several of us on TT as at least a future dependable squad player, so this seems the right moment to give him a chance.  It can't be true that Allardyce and his staff think Martina is anything other than a desperate stop-gap, can it?

The little I've seen of him he looked competent at LB and I'm sure Cuco's ineptitude / complete lack of other options is why he's getting a look in. Just a strange quirk of the modern game, a left back whose weakness is defending!