IGNORED

Luke Garbutt

I really rate this kid, I don't see the benefit of Oviedo getting the contract extension. I'd have much rather seen Garbutt be Baines understudy next season and let Bryan find himself another club.

Because he's a good player who had his contract running out this season and was playing well enough to keep Baines and Galloway out of the side? :huh:

Because he's a good player who had his contract running out this season and was playing well enough to keep Baines and Galloway out of the side? :huh:

I know hes playing well now, he wasn't playing when he was given the contract. Since his leg break he picks up so many pulls and strains, I just don't think it was worth it. I'd rather Garbutt be the man to step in. I wouldn't consider Galloway there unless there was no other option.

I really rate this kid, I don't see the benefit of Oviedo getting the contract extension. I'd have much rather seen Garbutt be Baines understudy next season and let Bryan find himself another club.

With Baines still struggling with his ankle and the wrong side of thirty we may be thinking he won't play much over the next few years.

Maybe, but I'd rather risk Garbutt. Both of our left backs have pretty bad injury records over the last two years.

So would I but for all we know Baines won't even be able to be a back-up player that often. And, like you, I don't even count Galloway as a LB unless we're on our knees desperate, so it makes sense to keep Oviedo around. He won't be on huge wages and loves it here.

So would I but for all we know Baines won't even be able to be a back-up player that often. And, like you, I don't even count Galloway as a LB unless we're on our knees desperate, so it makes sense to keep Oviedo around. He won't be on huge wages and loves it here.

and that in itself is massive for team and club mentality and morale

spot on. baines might be done, it's oviedo and garbutt time. Galloway will be CB.

Garbutt is definitely a better option than Oviedo as much as I like and rate the lad Garbutt is immensely talented in my opinion

I consider him a better player than the likes of Shaw Cresswell Flanagan etc who are generally touted about, he's just been unlucky that we've had Baines in such great form over the last few seasons

Edited by EFC-Paul

Garbutt is definitely a better option than Oviedo as much as I like and rate the lad Garbutt is immensely talented in my opinion

I consider him a better player than the likes of Shaw Cresswell Flanagan etc who are generally touted about, he's just been unlucky that we've had Baines in such great form over the last few seasons

You could almost say his progress has stalled because of all the depth at LB. It's not easy getting a turn when Baines is in front of you, and Oviedo was only able to make his mark due to some unfortunate injuries to Baines.

Problem here is Oviedo "always" does a job. I like Garbutt a lot. I think there's real potential there. However we have two really good LB's infront of him.

People are also forgetting Oviedo's versatility. Garbutts a left back and that's that Oviedo can seemingly swop wings and I'm sure he could play in the middle of the park to a capacity. Fantastic squad player and well worth the extension

• 2 months later...

Problem here is Oviedo "always" does a job. I like Garbutt a lot. I think there's real potential there. However we have two really good LB's infront of him.

People are also forgetting Oviedo's versatility. Garbutts a left back and that's that Oviedo can seemingly swop wings and I'm sure he could play in the middle of the park to a capacity. Fantastic squad player and well worth the extension

No he can't. Oviedo is a horrible, horrible right back.

Besides being injured and the state of the Fulham team...didn't he have a horrible season there? Including a performance he felt compelled to apologize for? This is what I heard/read, not something I know first hand. Just trying to get an assessment of his ability. I agree that his development has been hindered by the depth at the LB position.

I think the new manager has a decision to make early-mid summer. In my opinion, there is no room for both Oviedo and Garbutt in the squad. Oviedo is an effective squad player, but I don't think he is ever going to be a world class leftback (and has a troublesome fitness record). Garbutt has shown potential but has limited experience.

The new manager should determine 1) Oviedo's willingness and desire to remain a squad player with us or move to a smaller club in hopes of becoming a regular starter and 2) Garbutt's potential to be the heir apparent to Baines.

If we think that Garbutt has the potential to replace Baines and be a real, class leftback, it would be smart to move Oviedo on and make Garbutt the #2 there. If not, it would make sense to move Garbutt on to a smaller club and keep Oviedo around as long as Oviedo doesn't want a move.

From what I've seen of Garbutt, I'd love to see him be the heir to Baines' throne. When he's played for us he's be decent and his delivery into the box has been admirable.

As much as I like oviedo, he's either second to Baines (no Garbutt) or second to Garbutt (no Baines).

I think Baines has got a season or two left in him so I'd prefer Garbutt to understudy in the meantime.

• 2 months later...