IGNORED

Samuel Eto'o

Why did chelski let him go then, he's surely a better back up to Costa than Torres?

Great player, would prefer Welbeck, if but for a year would be a good squad player.

Still hoping Torres comes good, probably. With the amount of money they dropped on him, they're kind of shamed into playing him to either justify their money or bring him more value so they can recoup some of it. Just conjecture.

And that's why the word if was used. If you only talk about things we know for a fact you may as well shut forums like this down, it's rumours etc that give us something to talk about because we never get to know the ins and outs. Speculation is the heart beat of TT :P.

Never a truer word spoken my friend!!!

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/25/everton-set-to-complete-samuel-etoo-deal-after-liverpool-lost-interest-in-ex-chelsea-striker-4845297/

Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o is set to join Roberto Martinez’s Everton after Liverpool withdrew their interest.

The former Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan and Chelsea striker is a free agent after his one-year deal at Stamford Bridge expired earlier in the summer and will have a medical at Everton on Tuesday.

A three-time Champions League winner, Eto’o has been coveted by a whole host of clubs this summer but according to Goal, the Toffees have won the race for his services.

The 33-year-old has a stunning track record with more than 300 club goals to his name and Martinez wants dependable back-up to star striker Romelu Lukaku up front.

Arouna Kone has been out with a long term injury and is still not available while Steven Naismith is more of a second striker than out-and-out forward.

Eto’o will lower his £130,000-a-week wage demands if he is given a two-year deal, which seems the most likely outcome with Everton having already spent big on transfers and new contracts this summer.

Signing for the Goodison Park club would be something of a backtrack for the veteran striker who insisted earlier in the summer that he will continue playing at a Champions League club.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/25/everton-set-to-complete-samuel-etoo-deal-after-liverpool-lost-interest-in-ex-chelsea-striker-4845297/

Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o is set to join Roberto Martinez’s Everton after Liverpool withdrew their interest.

The former Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan and Chelsea striker is a free agent after his one-year deal at Stamford Bridge expired earlier in the summer and will have a medical at Everton on Tuesday.

A three-time Champions League winner, Eto’o has been coveted by a whole host of clubs this summer but according to Goal, the Toffees have won the race for his services.

The 33-year-old has a stunning track record with more than 300 club goals to his name and Martinez wants dependable back-up to star striker Romelu Lukaku up front.

Arouna Kone has been out with a long term injury and is still not available while Steven Naismith is more of a second striker than out-and-out forward.

Eto’o will lower his £130,000-a-week wage demands if he is given a two-year deal, which seems the most likely outcome with Everton having already spent big on transfers and new contracts this summer.

Signing for the Goodison Park club would be something of a backtrack for the veteran striker who insisted earlier in the summer that he will continue playing at a Champions League club.

Please, don't go apeshit over what Metro is claiming, people. Or over what the Daily Mail or the Sun or some Twitter account is going to claim. The market will determine what he makes and no one is going to pay him £130,000 a week, nor is he probably asking it or he and his agent wouldn't have had serious conversations with Ajax (who have a €1m a year wage ceiling, though De Boer said they would be breaking it to get him through all kinds of bonuses, but still they probably wouldn't even come near 1/4th of the €8.5m a year £130k a week would mean).

Some people really seem to be hung up on his "attitude", and I'm not sure why. He's no crazier than any other eccentric footballer. He really only had problems (if you want to call them that) with Pep and Mourinho. Everyone has some sort of problem with those two. He's a highly regarded player, even Iniesta suggested that Barca make a statue in his honor. He's been on high wages, a lot of players are. He also has his money involved in a lot of charities and is hardly a mercenary, he would have stayed at Barca if things worked out differently.

Maybe I'm biased, but Eto'o has been one of my favorite players since the 2006 Champions League Final, and along with Drogba and Yaya, one of the only African players to get close to Ballon D'or in the last few years. He was amazing at his peak and can still contribute. No one is bigger than Everton, and if he comes here and does anything outrageous or offensive then he should be judged on that.

Poor article to be honest. The table states that he played for Real Mallorca, but Mcnulty manages to get that confused with Real Madrid. Is he a little too excited at the prospect of Etoo.

FYI Eto'o signed for Real Madrid when he was 15, he has been loaned out to many teams (Espanyol and RCD Mallorca among others) and he became excellent in Mallorca. When Barcelona signed him, 50% of his transfer fee went to Real Madrid (around 12M€, used by Madrid to fund the purchase of... Michael Owen). Eto'o always wanted to play for Madrid but was never given the chance even when he was clearly at the required level.

Eto'o scoring the 4th in a Preseason friendly against AC Milan ;)

Didn't he get 9 goals in the premier league last season? Only playing 21 games? Good goal return really.

given that he only started 16 its not bad at all. He's a 1 in 2 goal scorer over his whole career 303 goals in 608 games.

Lets hope he can do it in a blue shirt and not be remembered in the same way Ginola, Mark Hughes and Gazza were. They basically just picked up a final paycheck and reminded us how cruel father time can be.

Don't think Eto would be my first choice - but as it looks very much like he is coming, I am only going to dwell on the positives -

- Although he will still be on a decent wedge - he will definately be taking a substanical pay cut to come and play for Everton. So he is coming for football reasons and not a final pay off reasons. He could have had an easier life/bigger money offer elsewhere, I have no doubt.

- His name signing will take considerable pressure off Lukaku, which will not be a bad thing for 12 to 18 months,

- His presence will also give some quality competition to Lukaku, again a positive,

- Having his experience as one of the world top striker can only help improve Lukaku over the next 18 months, expecially playing in Europe.

- Playing away games in eastern europe will be like water off a ducks back to Eto, have been out in Russia for a number of years. He has great expericene all over the continent at the highest level. He could make a massive difference for us in Europa this year, small advantages make the difference in knockout football.

- He was still scoring goals at the highest level last season. Roughly 1 in 2.

- High wages but no transfer fee and only a two year contract. If it doesn't quite work, it will not to be the worst bit of busness ever done.

- A slightly risky signing, but a calculated one. If it pays off and he gets anything near 1 in 2 again this year, then its the free signing of the season.

Depending on playing time, if he gets +12 goals, then I would see he was a decent signing

Finger crossed on this one me thinks!

At least he'll relegate Kone further down the pecking order.

I will truly love it for Kone to score a hat trick against someone like the RS. I know you would love it also for Everton reasons - but not half as much as I would - I would happily spend 10 minutes requoting your posts!!!

Is he going to score a hat trick against Liverpool??? probably not!

Edited by Hafnia

I will truly love it for Kone to score a hat trick against someone like the RS. I know you would love it also for Everton reasons - but not half as much as I would - I would happily spend 10 minutes requoting your posts!!!

Is he going to score a hat trick against Liverpool??? probably not!

I'd probably quote myself and have a good laugh if he did tbf. I'd rather get egg on my face and give my opinion/views, rather than sit on the fence and get splinters. That's the type of person I am.

I'd probably quote myself and have a good laugh if he did tbf. I'd rather get egg on my face and give my opinion/views, rather than sit on the fence and get splinters. That's the type of person I am.

True... the forum would be incredibly boring if we were all like that.