IGNORED

Crystal Palace (H)

Lowensda

2 game win streak, we got our mojo back, i really want 3 points here. I'd like some squad rotation as well,

Howard

Hibbert Alcaraz Distin Garbutt

Gibson Besic

Atsu Osman Pienaar

Eto'o

Still think we'd get 3 points even though i know this won't be the lineup. very strong squad still.

And thank god it wouldn't be! So many players in there that won't be anywhere near able to compete at this stage - Hibbert, Alcaraz, Pienaar, Gibson wouldn't even be close to being match fit, Osman can barely get through a half of football, Distin is currently injured, Besic and Atsu have barely had any minutes at all so would be struggling for match fitness as well.

We'd get steamrolled down both wings, and through the centre of the park, and then have an unfit defence to face them!

Just watched RM's pre-CP press conference. Not very revealing, unfortunately, re squad changes for CP. Have to guess, based on just a few tantalizing comments.

1. RM said Coleman's knock wasn't serious, but also said he's "under observation." I assume this is standard precaution protocol, but wonder whether it just might mean Stones at RB on Sunday.

2. Praised Eto'o. But my impression is that RM isn't likely to start him v. CP. As Lukaku was substituted last eve, I'll guess he plays 60 on Sunday, Eto'o for 30.

3. Gibson -- Although I'd hope he could start Sunday in place of Barry, my impression from RM is that Gibson will be more gradually reintroduced. Surely Gibson might come on for a little longer stretch Sunday, then start v. Swansea??

4. But if we see Gibson and Eto'o as subs on Sunday, that would leave but one more sub, and if RM starts essentially the same 11 on Sunday as last 2 matches, wow, we'll have some tired lads in second half.

5. Which seems to suggest at least a few changes. Not just that hypothetical 3d sub, but as starters. Especially given another of RM's comments, that "some players need 48 hours to recover, others need 72." So, if -- if -- my impressionistic guess is accurate that Gibson and Eto'o are likely subs, who might actually start in place of any of, say, Barry, McGeady, Naismith, Mirallas? Obvious candidates seem to be Osman, Besic, Atsu. Possible back line of Baines, Jagielka, Alcarez, Stones?

6. RM made one minor error, in noting that of our next 7 matches, "6 are away from Goodison, and in 4 countries." He's close, as it's 5 of next 7 away from Goodison, and sure enough, 4 different countries!

2 game win streak, we got our mojo back, i really want 3 points here. I'd like some squad rotation as well,

Howard

Hibbert Alcaraz Distin Garbutt

Gibson Besic

Atsu Osman Pienaar

Eto'o

Still think we'd get 3 points even though i know this won't be the lineup. very strong squad still.

We play that side Palace will twat us.

That's a really ignorant thing to say. They're the same group of players ( virtually)that came to Goodison and beat us . They're also looking for their first win under the new manager.

They'll be well organised and hard to break down.

I can say what I want, it's an opinion. Don't need you judging me though thanks. I stand by what I said, that side would win, lots of players looking for minutes would love to show a little something to the gaffer. Don't rate palace after pulis left.

What lineup you looking for? What result? You gonna post something or just criticize everyone?

I'd be resting Jags if possible, not sure if DIstin is fit, but I thought he only had a dead leg, be surprised if he missed three games with that. Wouldn't even have too much of an issue with Stones and Alcaraz at the back. Palace are strongest on the wings, I don't see Chamakh or Gayle really troubling a Stones/Distin or Stones/Alcaraz partnership. Steady on LB/RB

One or both of McGeady and Mirallas could also use a rest. I get the sense Martinez has some reservation about Atsu, but not knowing what that is I'd give him at least the first 45. If it's not working bring back Mirallas. In the middle I'd be tempted to give Barry a rest. I know he's vital, but he's not young and if we push him too hard early I fear his performances will drop off. We've got two options there, but I'd go with Besic for the added energy and fitness to make up for what we lose in Barry's positioning. Up top I'd keep on with Naismith and Lukaku.

Robles and the rest who are fit for Swansea. Think someone else mentioned it, but was great to see Ross up and about. Saw a spring in his step when he popped into his box yesterday.

I haven't watched enough of Palace to judge what they're like this year, but apart from Gayle's performance in the league (??) cup I haven't heard any worrying reports.

3-1

Edited by chicagoblue

I can say what I want, it's an opinion. Don't need you judging me though thanks. I stand by what I said, that side would win, lots of players looking for minutes would love to show a little something to the gaffer. Don't rate palace after pulis left.

What lineup you looking for? What result? You gonna post something or just criticize everyone?

I never said you couldn't post it , of course you can and when you do that leaves it open for another persons opinion and if that's to criticise your post then tough shit, it's how a forum works.

My formation? I want the strongest side possible side we can muster not just a team of players who haven't had much game time. You see, I know we're going to have to be at our very best Sunday because Palace are no mugs and the chances are we may have a bit of a hangover from Thurs. Couple that with the fact they are still looking for their first win and the fact they've had a full weeks rest to our 2 days and we'll have a right handful on Sunday.

Same team or as close as possible to last night for me. We need 3 points here given we have arguably 2 of our hardest games of the season coming up after this one and 2 games we could genuinely expect not to get much from which makes this game all the more important.

To just throw any team out like you suggested is stupid, we'll get beat and get beat easily. There are no easy games in this league and to risk playing at best a 3rd string team is suicide.

Resting a key player at home to Palace cost us big time last season; don't want to make the same mistake so no risks in the key defensive areas for me. Definitely give McGeady a break though.

Stop talking rubbish, just throw the kids in and most of the rezzies. It's only Crystal Palace

Edited by Paddock

Palace arent the same team under Warnock as they were under Pulis but it doesnt mean we should underestimate them either.

I think we should rotate but only in select positions. Personally I would like to see Jags given a break but that wont happen unless Distin is fit.

This might be the game for Besic to start alongside McCarthy as I cant imagine 3 games in a week is something Barry could do effectively at his age. Gibson looked very rusty when he came on against Wolfsburg so I would be more inclined to keep him on bench duty for the time being.

I could see Osman coming in for Naismith especially as the former is going to be useful in these types of games in finding space and these are probably the only types of games I would entertain starting him.

Mirallas is too important to be dropped but I would swap in Atsu for McGeady. Lukaku is more likely to start with Etoo lined up for Swansea.

Seems like even at Palace, 3 points is mandatory for us. Wouldn't mind seeing a half hour or more out of Eto'o, but even more than that, I'd like to see sustained effort from Lukaku. He's got to be better and I don't want to make snap judgments, but so far he's playing like a guy that is just happy to be cashing his checks. I'm basically a new Everton fan, but even watching highlights of him last year show that he's not as engaged as he's been in the past.

I really like Naismith's work so far this year. He fights for every ball. Gets in the right spots. I say he gets a goal here and so does Mirallas. 2 Everton - 0 Palace.

Seems like even at Palace, 3 points is mandatory for us. Wouldn't mind seeing a half hour or more out of Eto'o, but even more than that, I'd like to see sustained effort from Lukaku. He's got to be better and I don't want to make snap judgments, but so far he's playing like a guy that is just happy to be cashing his checks. I'm basically a new Everton fan, but even watching highlights of him last year show that he's not as engaged as he's been in the past.

I really like Naismith's work so far this year. He fights for every ball. Gets in the right spots. I say he gets a goal here and so does Mirallas. 2 Everton - 0 Palace.

He hasn't been fully fit mate and also he's being marked by two men every game. No coincidence than Naismith is finding tonnes of space and scoring now Lukakus taking 2 men everytime he makes a run.

I think he has been very good on the whole (Lukaku), it would just be nice for him to get a few more opportunities to put the ball in the back of the net. In that first half against Wolfsburg he did a massive job for the team and without him putting that shift in we wouldnt have been 2 up. He was crap in the second half mind you!

He hasn't been fully fit mate and also he's being marked by two men every game. No coincidence than Naismith is finding tonnes of space and scoring now Lukakus taking 2 men everytime he makes a run.

Spot on.

"Not fully fit" - I don't think I've seen him fully fit if what we are talking about is a 90 minute performance that is of an equal level throughout.

For me he looks like he needs to lose some bulk as he doesn't have the stamina to carry it for 90 minutes. This is why I would play him last 20 minutes till he is fit enough to prove he can do 90 minutes.

Eto will exhaust defenders with intelligent movement as would Naismith. Lukaku proved to be a great impact sub for wba.

Whilst on bench he can watch Samuel demonstrate the elements of forward play that don't involve goalscoring that he can benefit so much from trying to replicate.

Against palace I would start Eto.

"Not fully fit" - I don't think I've seen him fully fit if what we are talking about is a 90 minute performance that is of an equal level throughout.

For me he looks like he needs to lose some bulk as he doesn't have the stamina to carry it for 90 minutes. This is why I would play him last 20 minutes till he is fit enough to prove he can do 90 minutes.

Eto will exhaust defenders with intelligent movement as would Naismith. Lukaku proved to be a great impact sub for wba.

Whilst on bench he can watch Samuel demonstrate the elements of forward play that don't involve goalscoring that he can benefit so much from trying to replicate.

Against palace I would start Eto.

Like Romelu does?

Guest blueboy122

Lukaku has been terrible so far this season.

People saying he isn't fit are simply making excuses for him?

He played about 3 games at the WC and I don't recall him picking up any injuries.

He needs a boot up the arse and become more involved in the match. Eto came on the other night and had more involvement in his 15 minutes than Lukaku did all game!

Like Romelu does?

Yeah he does but he tires quicker than they do which basically means he isn't at it enough later in the game when chances present themselves more due to fatigue of the defenders and midfielders.

Lukaku is an explosive player, he can use pace and strength as an advantage later in the game, better than he can at the start.

Eto is a footballer, simple as that. Not since Peter Beardsley have I seen us possess a forward with such an ability to take the ball in any situation and play passes with an assured weight, and that's just from cameos. In the early stages of a game where positional discipline is at its max then that's what makes the difference.

This isn't a "haf versus lukuka" debate. He's our player and we need to use him to our advantage. At the moment Eto displays a more all round game that will benefit the likes of mirallas.

I really can't wait to see how Barkley develops with Eto.

Edited by Hafnia

from what i'm seeing, opposing teams are game planning for lukaku. they are trying to take him out of the game and limit his impact. to lukaku's major credit, he has been unselfish and is looking for his teammates. his mere presence has opened it up, especially for naismith. he can improve his individual skill level (like his first touch to himself) but overall, i think he's played a very good team game while the entire team is working out the kinks.

from what i'm seeing, opposing teams are game planning for lukaku. they are trying to take him out of the game and limit his impact. to lukaku's major credit, he has been unselfish and is looking for his teammates. his mere presence has opened it up, especially for naismith. he can improve his individual skill level (like his first touch to himself) but overall, i think he's played a very good team game while the entire team is working out the kinks.

This. If opposing teams hadn't been giving so much credit and attention to Romelu (as well they should!) then Naismith (who probably gets underestimated by his own mother) wouldn't have the space and chances he's been getting. Romelu has been pulling defenders all over the place. He's being productive for us, even if he isn't the one banging them in.

Lukaku has been terrible so far this season.

People saying he isn't fit are simply making excuses for him?

He played about 3 games at the WC and I don't recall him picking up any injuries.

He needs a boot up the arse and become more involved in the match. Eto came on the other night and had more involvement in his 15 minutes than Lukaku did all game!

He's been playing with injections in his toe. If that's not being fully fit I don't know what is.