IGNORED

Who should lead our re-build?

c1982

This summer will 100% be a summer of huge change. We're aging in many key areas, there's a few contracts expiring/nearing, there are still a few areas that needed addressing which hadn't and a few of our stars will be in demand (as usual).

Do we trust Martinez with the rebuild or do we look elsewhere? If so who?

I don't necessarily want Martinez to leave but his signings as a whole have been okay at best... I'm not sure I would trust him with a rebuild (although I'd be intriguided as to who his targets would be).

I don't think Laudrup is the answer. 3 names appeal to me... Slaven Bilic, Besiktas look solid but dangerous when attacking. He knows the league, he knows the club, the fans will love him. David Moyes, why not?! I didn't want him to leave originally. New ideas and a larger budget could actually help him crown what he had started. My 3rd and less obvious is Eddie Howe. Bournemouth have played brilliantly with a squad, on paper, a lot less glamourous than many others in a tough, tough league.

Edited by c1982

I'd move heaven and earth for Moyes

Do u need a hand i know a few more blues who would help . RM has to go poor tactics poor line ups poor subs. seen this all before with wigan and we all know what happened there ... id love moyes back i know ppl would disagree but look what he did for everton you cant blame him for going to united . it failed because everton and moyes are a match made in heaven ... BRING BACK MOYES for me.

Edited by dannybryan88

Do u need a hand i know a few more blues who would help . RM has to go poor tactics poor line ups poor subs. seen this all before with wigan and we all know what happened there ... id love moyes back i know ppl would disagree but look what he did for everton you cant blame him for going to united . it failed because everton and moyes are a match made in heaven ... BRING BACK MOYES for me.

Another 11 years without winning anything???? No thank you

If you want to see more poor tactics, poor line-ups and poor subs then Moyes is your man.

Short memories some people.

Probably in a minority but I remain a Martinez loyalist; too much knee-jerk reaction tonight to things out of his control. Go have a look at the Alcaraz comments in the Newcastle threads; he was "immense" and "a beast". Why would he not pick him after a performance like that? Who could predict Seamus being so poor? Admittedly he should've subbed him (Alcaraz) at half time and he has issues with his Barry obsession but so did Moyes with Neville.

Would definitely give him the summer, and Kenwright will, because he more than deserves it after last season.

Just read up on Howe being an blue and it's true... didn't know that.

One of the very first games I remember watching was the Cup Final when Everton beat Watford in 1984 and it left a huge impression on me, he added. From that moment on I was a real diehard Everton fan. I used to travel and watch the games in London and Southampton and turned into a big fan. I still look out for their results.

As a kid I always wanted to see Everton beat Liverpool, but this will be a case of Bournemouth trying to beat them rather than seeing it from an Everton perspective.

My already high opinion of him has just risen!

No moyes for me. Slaven Bilic, Michael Laudrup, and Pelligrini when he gets fired (won't get him but try anyway).

Blilic has done well with Besiktas and is a Evertonian. Laudrup won a trophy with Swansea and had them playing well, he knows how to find a bargain transfer and won't blow the kitty in one fell swoop.

Barry, Howard, Alcaraz, Hibbert, Atsu, McGeady, Kone all out.

For me the 'Moyes finished 17th in his 2nd season' argument for Martinez doesn't work and this will be heard over the next weeks as a positive. Moyes inherited a squad that was used to bottom half finishes, Martinez, the opposite.

I will stay loyal; always did to Moyes but the only thing keeping me on side with Martinez is the blind optimism that some of these Barca youngsters/Spanish gem rumours will bear fruit and we will start playing free flowing attacking football again... not counter productive sideways shite.

Just read up on Howe being an blue and it's true... didn't know that.

One of the very first games I remember watching was the Cup Final when Everton beat Watford in 1984 and it left a huge impression on me, he added. From that moment on I was a real diehard Everton fan. I used to travel and watch the games in London and Southampton and turned into a big fan. I still look out for their results.

As a kid I always wanted to see Everton beat Liverpool, but this will be a case of Bournemouth trying to beat them rather than seeing it from an Everton perspective.

My already high opinion of him has just risen!

I've said it on here a few times as I grew up/ went to same school as Eddie. Daniel Amokachi was his favourite player which I never got.

Are we fuckin serious???!!! Moyes back?!

The longest serving manager in the premier league never to win a trophy. Won't the red shite just love that. Unbelievable.

If we were Charlton fuckin athletic and our avarage attendance of 18,000 per game meant top 10 was a true achievement then ok. But fuck that.

He had 11 years here!!! Not only that, he took the piss out of us. And we go cap in hand.

Have a word.

I'll ignore the 'who' part of the question. It will be Martinez.

I'll also ignore answers of Moyes.

But the topic touches on something quite important. An ageing squad. It's been a concern of mine for a while. Too many players at the wrong end of their career. Could cost a fortune to replace them all.

The positive thing is that we have no Europe to worry about next season so we can trim the squad a bit and add to it in stages.

There really is some deadwood around.

I also don't know why Martinez has a reputation of poor signings for us?

Yeah, some have been dogs. But look at every signing made by every team. It's 50% 50 whether they work out or not.

If you want to see more poor tactics, poor line-ups and poor subs then Moyes is your man.

Short memories some people.

Probably in a minority but I remain a Martinez loyalist; too much knee-jerk reaction tonight to things out of his control. Go have a look at the Alcaraz comments in the Newcastle threads; he was "immense" and "a beast". Why would he not pick him after a performance like that? Who could predict Seamus being so poor? Admittedly he should've subbed him (Alcaraz) at half time and he has issues with his Barry obsession but so did Moyes with Neville.

Would definitely give him the summer, and Kenwright will, because he more than deserves it after last season.

To be fair he did have a decent game against Newcastle but his good games are very few and far between, for the most part he has been piss poor. He also had a real shocker against Kiev in the first game so they were always going to target him as the weak link

If Roberto can drop the likes of Garbutt and Robles after they put in a string of good performances then why cant he drop this clown after just one good game?

Stones is a class act and as well as Alcaraz played at the weekend it was a no brainer to bring Stones straight back in, unless of cause there was an injury to him that we don't know about

I said when Moyes went that Bilic would be my first choice and that still stands

I don't want to risk giving Martinez another year or transfer window or two if he pisses what funds we have available on mediocre players it will set us back even further but I can't see Bill potting him

But the topic touches on something quite important. An ageing squad. It's been a concern of mine for a while. Too many players at the wrong end of their career. Could cost a fortune to replace them all.

I've been banging on about since probably Moyes' last season with us, and is why I've been a bit concerned that a lot of the players we're being linked with since Martinez took over close to 30 already. I'm not saying we should be filling the team with kids by any means, but we should be looking to signing players who are more around the 24/25 years of age mark rather than 28/29/

I've been banging on about since probably Moyes' last season with us, and is why I've been a bit concerned that a lot of the players we're being linked with since Martinez took over close to 30 already. I'm not saying we should be filling the team with kids by any means, but we should be looking to signing players who are more around the 24/25 years of age mark rather than 28/29/

Yeah, I think we've touched on it in another topic somewhere.

Martinez has spent the core money on useful players for the future...Lukaku, McCarthy, Besic, Robles plus some youngsters that we'll have to wait and see.

He gets flack for his transfers but really, how many have cost real money and been out and out flops? Out of Alcaraz, Kone, Barry, McGeady, Eto'o?

I think we'll be looking to sign more technical players this summer. More players who can do the finer things in football, like thread a neat forward through ball, take on a player at ease, be comfortable on the ball under pressure. A couple of natural wide men, a couple at the back. Less of the out and out workhorse type.

Giving Hibbert that contract sent alarm bells ringing with me.

Yeah, I think we've touched on it in another topic somewhere.

Martinez has spent the core money on useful players for the future...Lukaku, McCarthy, Besic, Robles plus some youngsters that we'll have to wait and see.

He gets flack for his transfers but really, how many have cost real money and been out and out flops? Out of Alcaraz, Kone, Barry, McGeady, Eto'o?

I think we'll be looking to sign more technical players this summer. More players who can do the finer things in football, like thread a neat forward through ball, take on a player at ease, be comfortable on the ball under pressure. A couple of natural wide men, a couple at the back. Less of the out and out workhorse type.

Knowing him well probably sign a couple more centre mids and he will say pienaar and Osman will be back on the wings to assist. They'll call us the Everton geriatrics.

My response to this question is to focus on "rebuild" and think of the next 2 seasons.

I was very happy when Martinez took over, thrilled with last season, appalled this season, but doubt Martinez will be sacked unless we're bottom 3 next Boxing Day.

For me, "rebuild" will refer to players: (1) who should/will go and (2) how RM should/will deploy them.

GK -- I'm American but started following Everton before Howard became our GK. A fine servant, it's over for him here, at least as automatic first-choice. I hope he'll head to the MLS, but until then, I hope Robles or a new signing gets a fair shot at #1. If that bruises Tim's ego, too bad, catch a plane to Orlando.

RB -- although Coleman was absolutely horrendous last night, he's still valuable going forward. If Hibbert can play occasionally, fine. If not, I'd be interested in seeing Browning slotting in there on occasion, as well as CH.

CHs -- Stones is the rebuilding block in center of defense, period. I have doubts about Jagielka as captain, but I don't see Browning taking over in central defense immediately, maybe never. I do hope Browning is given his chance to play some next season somewhere on the backline. If Alcaraz's contract is up, no renewal. Need to include Browning in plans and/or buy a new CH.

LB -- Here I think we're fine, if Garbutt gradually becomes first choice here over next 2 seasons. Sign him to new contract now, long-term. I wonder whether Baines actually has enough passion to play 3-4 more seasons, but I'll hope he can become an intriguing combo LB and LM, rotating with Garbutt at LB and with Oviedo at LM.

DM -- Geez, RM's devotion to Barry. I thought Barry was very good during his loan season, was nevertheless disappointed he was given a 3-year deal, but understood the necessity. Turns out to have been a disaster. If he continues to be first-choice, all the more real the possibility of RM being sacked by Boxing Day. McCarthy and Besic are the building blocks here. Gibson really is neither a DM nor a #10, but if, if, if healthy, he has to play alongside either McCarthy or Besic some of the time. I see no necessity of spending on DMs, but the more Barry plays, thus keeping Gibson and Besic on bench, the more likely will Everton's rebuild resemble Barry's pear-shape.

LM -- Don't see a future for Pienaar, sad that injuries have taken their toll. I'm willing to see Baines share both LB with Garbutt and LM with Oviedo and perhaps Osman. Baines just isn't a top-notch defender, but he is a clever passer and more than capable enough of playing down that side. Where's Mirallas? My guess is neither here nor over on the right, but elsewhere chasing his CL dreams. Two years ago, he was my favorite player, as I told an Everton friend (Wigan-born) that he would prove a great signing. But his ego has got the best of him. Presumably he wants out; let him go, get some money if possible.

ACM -- I've no confidence in Barkley's pitch-sense, and think he wastes a lot of energy looking lost. Yet clearly he has loads of energy and talent, and since Everton are highly unlikely next season to finish anything better than 7-10th, he must be allowed to make mistakes and learn the game. He has to play regularly in this spot going forward. Naismith becomes a utility midfielder, starting occasionally as ACM or on wing, but not most games. When not starting, sure, bring Naismith on at 60 minutes almost anywhere going forward.

RM -- Need to buy. McGeady is a squad player, certainly hasn't proven he can either score or assist regularly. Deulofeu would be a pleasant surprise-buy, but have to buy. Atsu on another loan, maybe......

S -- Lukaku is coming along, slowly. I personally have no doubt he'll score goals, but I have lots of concerns that he'll succumb to Mirallas-like-inflated-egoism-CL-dreams. Kone is hardly the rebuild plan, but if healthy, I'm fine with him for next season. Still, need to buy, either to supplement or replace Lukaku a couple of years hence.

Overall -- Bad vibes hover over Man City and Arsenal as well as Everton. Reloading more than rebuilding at those top-4 clubs. Our chance at glory and major move toward top-6 for rest of this decade might have ended with floundering at end last spring. That might have been it. Hard to deny that injuries have just killed our chances this season, unless it's all down to RM, Barry, and Howard. Seems precious little chance that RM could actually keep his promise to Kenwright. Very deflating, given last season's wonders. Not to mention the fact that, yes, for the players and fans those "magical European nights" were exciting. Shoot, that atmosphere and crowd in Kyiv were exhilarating, and the game, but a single miracle blast from Barkley short of a classic.

Yet there's little reason to think of the rest of this season as anything other than a dull campaign to avoid relegation. Nor is there any reason to think of next season as anything other than "rebuild," as this season's effort to "sustain" has collapsed.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

sadly I think the only thing that will change is he will sell kev M

and sign that dynamic midfielder with the killer pass cleverly

we will still be watching timmy and barry and birdman etc

those who said birdman had a good game against Newcastle

must have noticed they had there flip flops on and were already on there hols

hes not a prem player.

Dissapointing part of it is I dont see Martinez walking or being sacked, I don't even know if he deserves to be sacked. The fact any old fan can point out his and our teams 100 flaws and nothing changes is a telling sign of someone I don't want to manage my football club. I don't think he will be sacked or walk so and I love this club so I have no choice to support him going forward and am therefore desperate for him to succeed. I just feels he needs to evolve to get the best out of himself and his team. I also fear from some of his signings that he doesn't know what kind of player it takes to take the team forward and improve it. I'd fear our ageing players and underperforming ones are all given an extra year onto their contracts and no major signings will come in. What we need is the younger players to be brought through, the under-performers to be axed and old and injury prone players to be moved on. Buy promising players who may not be the finished article but have the potential to be. As I said I only want Everton to succeed so I desperately want Martinez to at the same time.