IGNORED

Kieran Dowell

22 hours ago, hafnia said:

His upside is too big to sell too soon.  With a left foot like that it's conceivable he could make the breakthrough and play at top 6 standard. 

He will improve... whether it will be to our desired levels I don't know but I think he is deffo prem level. Gerrard wanted him at rangers... he's too good for that level. 

He looks like he has a decent shot on him, I'm seeing nothing of this upside you're talking about tbh.

Weak, slow... I see those things though.

57 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He looks like he has a decent shot on him, I'm seeing nothing of this upside you're talking about tbh.

Weak, slow... I see those things though.

He's got decent feet, skill and yeah a crackin shot and vision.

He could be athletically lacking but he's got a year or 2 till we know for sure. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, pete0 said:

I recall rave reviews by the Forest fans too, then they started complaining about his invisibility in games. 

He needs to show consistency over a season. 

27 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I recall rave reviews by the Forest fans too, then they started complaining about his invisibility in games. 

He needs to show consistency over a season. 

He reminds me a lot of Sigurdssen in that sense (and more fortunately in his technical ability too). Hopefully he'll have a bit more to him after getting a few more kicks in the Championship and impose himself on the pitch for us. 

Dowell plays in a position where, although pace helps, vision, positioning and decision making are just as important. I wouldn't necessarily write him off because it’s a tough position to learn (number 10) and actually getting his chance when he is ‘wiser’ may actually be of benefit to him and us. The best case scenario would be that he plays a significant part in getting Sheff Utd up then gets another year with them playing consistently in the Premier League. Didn’t Osman break into our first team as a 23/24 year old? If Dowell’s good  enough, I’m sure Brands will have a plan for him.

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

Dowell plays in a position where, although pace helps, vision, positioning and decision making are just as important. I wouldn't necessarily write him off because it’s a tough position to learn (number 10) and actually getting his chance when he is ‘wiser’ may actually be of benefit to him and us. The best case scenario would be that he plays a significant part in getting Sheff Utd up then gets another year with them playing consistently in the Premier League. Didn’t Osman break into our first team as a 23/24 year old? If Dowell’s good  enough, I’m sure Brands will have a plan for him.

Very true that Osman did. But he wasn’t competing with what appears to be an open chequebook. 

On 13/02/2019 at 19:35, StevO said:

He’s 21, it’s not like he’s a young kid. He is young, but he needs to be further along in his development if he wants to make it at Everton. That ship has sailed for me though. 

21 is young in footballing terms, players don't reach their peak till 27/28.

With a focus on youth and a lack of creativity in the side he still has time to make his way into the first team.

Just now, London Blue said:

21 is young in footballing terms, players don't reach their peak till 27/28.

With a focus on youth and a lack of creativity in the side he still has time to make his way into the first team.

Yeah it is still young, but from what I’ve seen of him I just don’t think he’s good enough. I’d love to be wrong and him turn into a player like David Silva, but I’ll be shocked if it happens. I think we are holding on for a decent transfer fee. 

Do you honestly think we won’t just buy more players who are better than him? Focus on youth is all nice and good, but if we want to get to the levels Moshiri has talked about we won’t be waiting around. 

11 hours ago, StevO said:

Yeah it is still young, but from what I’ve seen of him I just don’t think he’s good enough. I’d love to be wrong and him turn into a player like David Silva, but I’ll be shocked if it happens. I think we are holding on for a decent transfer fee. 

Do you honestly think we won’t just buy more players who are better than him? Focus on youth is all nice and good, but if we want to get to the levels Moshiri has talked about we won’t be waiting around. 

This is essentially what I mean about Davies as well although I do think Davies is a better player who has shown some good signs lately 

It's a tough and potentially costly game gambling on youth that don't have that crystal clear natural ability, hopefully though they do kick on but I fully get Steve's point 

59 minutes ago, nogs said:

Example in the papers today - remember Suso? Not good enough for Liverpool at 21, now at 25 Spurs and Arsenal are rumoured to be in for him for £35m.

You just can't say for definite that players aren't going to be top class at 21.

Suso was never going to become a first teamer whilst Coutinho was there plus the lad was clearly a very naturally gifted player 

No one is saying you can definitely rule out a 20/21 year old, it's judging their current ability and whether they have the ability to step it up 

7 hours ago, nogs said:

Example in the papers today - remember Suso? Not good enough for Liverpool at 21, now at 25 Spurs and Arsenal are rumoured to be in for him for £35m.

You just can't say for definite that players aren't going to be top class at 21.

He would have to prove himself over here for that point to be worth making IMO. There will be other examples though. 

The other thing is how many players do you hold onto to see if they make it that far? If you think our U23 squad holds probably 20 players. Where do you draw the line? No matter what you do, some players will slip through the net.