IGNORED

Kieran Dowell

41 minutes ago, StevO said:

I think the pressure in the SPL would be interesting for him. Personally I don’t think he’ll make it here, but that could be the making of him. Being expected to win every week, even with the best players, isn’t an easy situation to be in. 

Someone gets where I was coming from. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

I think the pressure in the SPL would be interesting for him. Personally I don’t think he’ll make it here, but that could be the making of him. Being expected to win every week, even with the best players, isn’t an easy situation to be in. 

Not exactly good preparation for potentially playing for Everton though.

3 hours ago, DavisJD said:

Terrible move for a loan to the SPL.

If it’s not a loan to a PL side, I’d like to see him loaned in Spain where he could hone his technical ability or Germany which is proving a great place for developing young talent at the moment.

Technical ability has never been the issue with Dowell. He has bags of it!!

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Sometimes feels to me like people expect every prospect to make it. Just won’t happen. If it did Jose Baxter and JP Kissock would be our front two right now. 

I completely agree.  On the same wavelength we as a club will get more from a championship side than an SPL side.  Gerard’s squad is half Liverpool loans and the like. Mike Ashley need I say more?

9 hours ago, StevO said:

Nothing will prepare him in my opinion. Needs to prepare for a transfer to have the best football career he possibly can. 

Still a reason to target a better loan, put him in a bigger shop window and hopefully improve the return.

Still think he's got enough ability, just needs to apply it.  Lower Prem or Germany for mine.

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I completely agree.  On the same wavelength we as a club will get more from a championship side than an SPL side.  Gerard’s squad is half Liverpool loans and the like. Mike Ashley need I say more?

Oh no, my point is just let the kid go 😂

6 hours ago, DownUnderToff said:

Still a reason to target a better loan, put him in a bigger shop window and hopefully improve the return.

Still think he's got enough ability, just needs to apply it.  Lower Prem or Germany for mine.

I’m never bothered by the price we get for a kid who hasn’t made it. Do what you can to help the kid get a good career, it’s more important than making a profit on them to me. Historically we have done what’s best for these young lads, and usually involves sell on clauses and minimal up front costs. Much more integrity in helping them than making a profit when the club is owned by a billionaire. 

6 hours ago, StevO said:

I’m never bothered by the price we get for a kid who hasn’t made it. Do what you can to help the kid get a good career, it’s more important than making a profit on them to me. Historically we have done what’s best for these young lads, and usually involves sell on clauses and minimal up front costs. Much more integrity in helping them than making a profit when the club is owned by a billionaire. 

Fair enough.  Might only be 5 - 10m (maybe more in these crazy markets), but every bit is important in the long run.  Our Billionaire owner is not just going to keep pumping in 5-10% of his net worth year on year.

See SPL as more of a career killer.  Doesn't seem like many come out and kick on, Van Dijk recently... anyone else?

44 minutes ago, DownUnderToff said:

Fair enough.  Might only be 5 - 10m (maybe more in these crazy markets), but every bit is important in the long run.  Our Billionaire owner is not just going to keep pumping in 5-10% of his net worth year on year.

See SPL as more of a career killer.  Doesn't seem like many come out and kick on, Van Dijk recently... anyone else?

That’s my point though, clubs who he would play every week for can’t afford to pay £5-10m for a player who has no experience. If we let him go for nothing but a load of clauses and bonuses it gives the lad a better chance to have a good career. I’d rather we did that and looked after these young lads. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

That’s my point though, clubs who he would play every week for can’t afford to pay £5-10m for a player who has no experience. If we let him go for nothing but a load of clauses and bonuses it gives the lad a better chance to have a good career. I’d rather we did that and looked after these young lads. 

If that’s truly how it works and a sale to rangers with a sell on clause and he does well and goes to say Leeds for decent money, then I’m with you Ste.  Admittedly I don’t know the finance/contract side of the game that well and this concept in theory does sound pretty good.

One other factor is how Brands handles things as I’m sure he will play a part in the goings and might have methods he prefers.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Championship level for me.

Hope he does well and we can bring in a decent amount for him.

His upside is too big to sell too soon.  With a left foot like that it's conceivable he could make the breakthrough and play at top 6 standard. 

He will improve... whether it will be to our desired levels I don't know but I think he is deffo prem level. Gerrard wanted him at rangers... he's too good for that level.