IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

Yes deeper replace Barry and run box to box. His quickness and ability to transistion make him valuable deep. McCarthy can stay the destroyer.

Sign me up for this, too. But first you'll have to secure the consent of Roberto, whose [here I understate] irritating insistence on playing Barry every match has several negative ripple effects. Conceding that Barry has a fine sense of the pitch and makes some impressive long passes, his lack of pace means regular yellow cards, not to mention our back line in a panic to cover for him. (There's some sheepish comic relief in the eagerness with which TT gleefully anticipates a Barry suspension on card-accumulation. For that matter, imagine how hard we'll be cheering - yes, this very season - for a Barry red in the 85th minute of a match our boys are winning, say, 4-1. Even 3-1. Heck, 2-1, it's easily worth the risk.)

Barry on the pitch means one fewer attacking player. As most of us have noticed, (1) we need goals, and (2) Barry isn't a goal-scorer. By being on the pitch, Barry is a walking (.......) double jeopardy: he's both taking up too much space [another player's place in the eleven], yet simultaneously not taking up nearly enough space [his own].

Edited by Elston Gunnn

I'd let McCarthy go to raise some funds. Good player but Besic can do the destroyer role i think in future.

Besic and Barkley in the middle and money towards another forward

I like Besic, but he is not ready to be our starting CDM. Everyone wants us to go with 1 sitting midfielder instead of 2, at the moment he is too erratic with his positions. Potential is there to do the job, needs to go out on loan i feel with McCarthy, Gibson, Barry and Cleverly around him.

I'd let McCarthy go to raise some funds. Good player but Besic can do the destroyer role i think in future.

Besic and Barkley in the middle and money towards another forward

I'm with you if we are that broke. Well just be trying to stay top 17 (if 2 reinforcements is all we can afford) so Besic will be good enough. Plus I think he and Barkley will grow into some amazing players in those roles.

As much as everyone seems to love Besic, he just isn't in the same league as McCarthy and Barkley. I hope he proves me wrong though.

At the moment. I think he is almost an exact blend of the two. Not quite the defensive qualities Mccarthy has, not quite the natural talent/technique of Barkley, but then he is Technically better then Mccarthy and defensively better then Barkley.

I disagree that he is technically better than McCarthy. He tries his step overs and turns, McCarthy doesn't. But then he gets caught in possession and McCarthy doesn't.

I'll say again I hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't think he's good enough.

I disagree that he is technically better than McCarthy. He tries his step overs and turns, McCarthy doesn't. But then he gets caught in possession and McCarthy doesn't.

I'll say again I hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't think he's good enough.

Besic is better on the ball - driblbing/skills and a much better range of passing.Ross gets caught with the ball alot too, its an age thing (hopefully) I agree besic isnt the near the finished article, hence why i said he isnt ready to be a starter, but get him out on loan to lower prem team and he could flourish. Also Im not trying to slight McCarthy, i think he is very very good at breaking up the play but he offers very little in distribution.

I hope your wrong, I've still got high hopes for him.

Last season didn't do anyone any favours and he didn't get enough game time IMO.

Unfortunately I don't see that changing this year.

I suspect we will see Barry start most games.

Hence why i think he should go on loan to one of the new boys or a Villa or something, even if its just untill January

Edited by Btay

i know he's not the finished article but he's too good to go on loan I'm sure he will get more game time this season.

If he can get games with us this year then keep him, but if Martinez is going to play Barry/Cleverley/Gibson ahead of him then im not sure

for a start Gibson is always injured so that's a no no barry will play that's a cert and Ross must play now will McCarthy be here I don't know.

I agree, but Gibson is our best mid when fit. If McCarthy goes then Besic will have a big role, i just think he is at least 1 season ( of good game time ) away from where he needs to be to play first team.

Nods in agreement.

Is that with or without sales I wonder? For me I would definitely play McCarthy and Barkley together if we are playing the same formation. That way Ross sees more of the park and can run from deep, if he loses it he still has McCarthy to mop up. That would allow us to spend on a number 10 and a forward. I would have Galloway and browning as cover or get a loan. Praet looks good and a rapid centre forward

Is that with or without sales I wonder? For me I would definitely play McCarthy and Barkley together if we are playing the same formation. That way Ross sees more of the park and can run from deep, if he loses it he still has McCarthy to mop up. That would allow us to spend on a number 10 and a forward. I would have Galloway and browning as cover or get a loan. Praet looks good and a rapid centre forward

He said it wasn't dependent on anyone leaving. Two signings AFTER others leave would be a disgrace.

If we get a half decent centre half, a very good quality number ten and don't lose anyone I can take that. I'd like Lennon, actually think he isn't included in the two as he's playing the game, and a striker but a striker is just not happening.