IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

Everton's transfer activity summed up by penguins.

CLph5VYWUAAxIPu.jpg

Yep. Being left behind...

So, as things stand, whose squad (other than the obvious six) would you swap lock, stock and smoking striker for ours?

Actually looking at your league prediction you have us ninth behind Palace and Southampton so presumably those two. Would you really?

I'll tell you what it is. Some of those teams have the right attitude, the right tactics and the right approach to games. The thing they kind of missed last time round was 'quality' in terms of personnel.

Southampton, Swansea, Stoke, Crystal Palace....all finished above us without this 'extra' bit of quality. So this summer, on a whole, they've added the quality that they were missing.

They (in theory) should continue to rise as the previous seasons have suggested.

We, on the other hand, have the ability and quality, we just don't seem to have the right approach to games (for one reason or another). We haven't added anything to our quality stakes really but we're entering the season with a similar approach as last year (if pre-season has been any sort of indication and knowing how last year panned out).

So my worry is, those around us who for the most part, served no real threat to us because they couldn't attract the quality of players you come to expect from those leveled teams, have no addressed that and bought quality and in general, rather well.

So as I see it. We ARE being left behind.

In regards to the swapping question, none, IF it was based on ability.

IF my decision was based on tactics, confidence, attitude and passion....all of those above. Stoke give 100% but were always turd in terms of quality, technical players (which they're very much addressing). Palace give bucket loads of commitment, have the odd tricky player but didn't have the quality to really push on. Southampton in fairness are a bit of an abnormality because they did have quality but they're now attracting even more top European talent. Swansea have shown the can mix it with the big boys but didn't have the squad depth to compete. All of whom, now have squad depth, now have better players but more importantly, have the same managers and will probably enter the season with the same attitude.

We, don't seem like we've learnt anything (so far) and I can't help feel that we're still just a bit too 'soft' and lacking in confidence. IF that changes, we'd dick those teams. At present, I can't see it.

Edited by tenaciousj

So, as things stand, whose squad (other than the obvious six) would you swap lock, stock and smoking striker for ours?

Actually looking at your league prediction you have us ninth behind Palace and Southampton so presumably those two. Would you really?

The point isn't that we'd want any of their squad in ours, but that those teams are making an effort to progress, they have a plan. Us? I can't work out what we're doing at all.

I'll tell you what it is. Some of those teams have the right attitude, the right tactics and the right approach to games. The thing they kind of missed last time round was 'quality' in terms of personnel.

Southampton, Swansea, Stoke, Crystal Palace....all finished above us without this 'extra' bit of quality. So this summer, on a whole, they've added the quality that they were missing.

They (in theory) should continue to rise as the previous seasons have suggested.

We, on the other hand, have the ability and quality, we just don't seem to have the right approach to games (for one reason or another). We haven't added anything to our quality stakes really but we're entering the season with a similar approach as last year (if pre-season has been any sort of indication and knowing how last year panned out).

So my worry is, those around us who for the most part, served no real threat to us because they couldn't attract the quality of players you come to expect from those leveled teams, have no addressed that and bought quality and in general, rather well.

So as I see it. We ARE being left behind.

In regards to the swapping question, none, IF it was based on ability.

IF my decision was based on tactics, confidence, attitude and passion....all of those above. Stoke give 100% but were always turd in terms of quality, technical players (which they're very much addressing). Palace give bucket loads of commitment, have the odd tricky player but didn't have the quality to really push on. Southampton in fairness are a bit of an abnormality because they did have quality but they're now attracting even more top European talent. Swansea have shown the can mix it with the big boys but didn't have the squad depth to compete. All of whom, now have squad depth, now have better players but more importantly, have the same managers and will probably enter the season with the same attitude.

We, don't seem like we've learnt anything (so far) and I can't help feel that we're still just a bit too 'soft' and lacking in confidence. IF that changes, we'd dick those teams. At present, I can't see it.

Only in terms of bank transactions? Clubs have outspent us for years; Sunderland, Spurs, Stoke, Palace, Wham, Newcastle, etc. and whilst it's been frustrating (and hilarious at times) watching them throw money around, we've been "left behind", if we want to still call it that, in terms of position twice in 13 years for the most part (Spurs being the only exception). So I don't buy that at all. We are froogle with our spending, and thats the way any good business should spend (which is ironic considering the people in charge).

The point isn't that we'd want any of their squad in ours, but that those teams are making an effort to progress, they have a plan. Us? I can't work out what we're doing at all.

I understand this, but if their efforts account for fuck all, who cares?

I get the excitement of splashing the cash around, and I get the frustration linked with "bargain bin" shopping. For me, price is the last thing on the list. The important thing is we get the right player. If that takes a bit longer, so be it. Most of our best deals come in that final week of the transfer window, so I'm not going to get wound up now. Come TDD and the window closed and we've not signed the 2-3 player we need, I'll be right alongside y'all complaining, because then I'll have reason. Until then, we're complaining about speculation, which is nuts!

Only in terms of bank transactions? Clubs have outspent us for years; Sunderland, Spurs, Stoke, Palace, Wham, Newcastle, etc. and whilst it's been frustrating (and hilarious at times) watching them throw money around, we've been "left behind", if we want to still call it that, in terms of position twice in 13 years for the most part (Spurs being the only exception). So I don't buy that at all. We are froogle with our spending, and thats the way any good business should spend (which is ironic considering the people in charge).

I get the excitement of splashing the cash around, and I get the frustration linked with "bargain bin" shopping. For me, price is the last thing on the list. The important thing is we get the right player. If that takes a bit longer, so be it. Most of our best deals come in that final week of the transfer window, so I'm not going to get wound up now. Come TDD and the window closed and we've not signed the 2-3 player we need, I'll be right alongside y'all complaining, because then I'll have reason. Until then, we're complaining about speculation, which is nuts!

Matt you're completely missing the point here. In the past fans have accepted this because ghey know we run on a budget but even with this extra money we're still acting like we're skint. It's not a case of splashing cash it's a case of getting the players we NEED to push us on and now the clubs are cash rich why are we still operating like this. Yes deals can be decent on DLD but if we have the money shy wait, we should get them in early like virtually EVERY club has done.

To save a few million quid when we're skint then fine but not when we have it or we risk pissing another season up the wall because we are 5 games in and 4 defeats and a draw (potentially) then new recruits come in to a low morale squad low on confidence and in a slump then take 3-6 weeks to bed in and potentially another 2-3 losses. Our opening 10 fixtures are tough and we're wanking about waiting until DLD to do our business yet teams like Bournmeth, Watford etc are buying early. I'm not saying buy for buyings sake but our manager said we identified the targets 9 months ago and they know who we need to bring in... SO FUCKING SIGN THEM THEN, if we're going to do it on deadline day what's the difference except the club have to pay extra wages and maybe an extra 5 million in fees. Personally I think that's acceptable to have a squad ready for the start of the season with new faces in and bedded in knowing where they are at the club.

Liverpool do it, City do it, Spurs, United, Chelsea, Southampton... They all get their main players in early so why oh why do we have to do it this way and risk a woeful start to the season. It's just not acceptable to me.

I'm not missing the point at all, I jut don't see it as as big a deal as some others. Even if we had billions to spend, I'd want the right players brought in at the right price. For all we know, our targets are being held up at the selling club, whilst they find their replacements for the players were going to sign from them. If that's the case it could well be the budget restraints on the selling side that are holding everything up, but we're convinced the player is worth the wait.

We just don't know what's going on, so why get so upset?

I hope I don't have to but I'm preparing my maniacal laughter at you for when the window closes.

And let's be honest, Matt; you won't be complaining if we don't get the players in that we need. You'll polish a turd. You're TT's very own Roberto Martinez :P.

And I'll join the ranting and raving, once the future (3 weeks) has actually passed and yielded nothin. In the meantime, I'm optimistic because 1/. There's enough fuckin misery goin on and 2/. Our best business is usually done very late :)

I'm not missing the point at all, I jut don't see it as as big a deal as some others. Even if we had billions to spend, I'd want the right players brought in at the right price. For all we know, our targets are being held up at the selling club, whilst they find their replacements for the players were going to sign from them. If that's the case it could well be the budget restraints on the selling side that are holding everything up, but we're convinced the player is worth the wait.

We just don't know what's going on, so why get so upset?

So you're happy gambling away our season and going with practically what we had 2 seasons ago because we usually do our best business in the dld time. Imagine we would have got this dld signings when the window opened Matt that season when we came 5th, would it of tipped the scales? Hypothetical in so many ways I know but don't you wonder what if....

If times were tight all round and nobody was spending I could understand it but the market dictates clubs are cash rich yet we are the ONLY club not getting our targets in early.

There is a whole world of difference between identifying your targets and getting them early and spunking money mate there really is and you could argue that come deadline day if we miss out on our targets we may have no option BUT to spunk money panic buying because we've been caught pissing in to the wind AGAIN!!

The thing for me is that our starting 11 is excellent - top 6. Beyond that though we are really thin. Look at Palace they have Bolasie, Zaha, Puncheon, Lee, Sako and probably more I've not thought of and in attack Wickham, Murray, Campbell and Gayle - now I'm not saying player for player that they've got more quality than us but when players get injured, which they will, teams like Palace and Southampton will be able to swap like for like while we continue to put square pegs in round holes.

I think the balance of our squad is all wrong - we are really well stocked in centre mid and left back and that's it! With Deulofeu, Mirallas, Pienaar and McGeady potentially out already we have no width AGAIN! With Lukaku potentially out we have no goal scoring threat.

I'm usually so so optimistic but this summer is killing any optimism I usually had. Thing is, say we go and sign Shaqiri, van Dijk and Austin, that optimism would probably come flooding back. The injuries are probably my biggest fear this summer as, as usual, the deals will get done but just late on.

So you're happy gambling away our season and going with practically what we had 2 seasons ago because we usually do our best business in the dld time. Imagine we would have got this dld signings when the window opened Matt that season when we came 5th, would it of tipped the scales? Hypothetical in so many ways I know but don't you wonder what if....

If times were tight all round and nobody was spending I could understand it but the market dictates clubs are cash rich yet we are the ONLY club not getting our targets in early.

There is a whole world of difference between identifying your targets and getting them early and spunking money mate there really is and you could argue that come deadline day if we miss out on our targets we may have no option BUT to spunk money panic buying because we've been caught pissing in to the wind AGAIN!!

I'm stopping, we're going around in circles :)

In Martinez's press conference this morning, he has confirmed we're looking at, at least 3 more signings.

I'd put money on one of them being Lennon. We're just waiting for the price to drop.

So it's most likely - Striker, Attacking Mid, Winger.

Winger I think will be Lennon.

The others, who bloody knows.

In Martinez's press conference this morning, he has confirmed we're looking at, at least 3 more signings.

I'd put money on one of them being Lennon. We're just waiting for the price to drop.

You don't think we'll sign a CB even though he said that's one of the three?

If it's true Mirallas is signing a new deal I think it'll be a striker number 10 and cb myself.

We could do with Lennon as well though. We would have Mirallas, Geri, Lennon and Mcgeady (as much as I think he's shite that's 2 sets of wingers us utility players who as much as I hate them playing there canbe used in an emergency.

We all know we need a 10 and a centre half so is the third another winger or a striker...

Incidentally what would people prefer? We've just signed a cb and number 10, it's deadline day and one more is coming in... What do you want, winger or striker?

Pad with mirallas and Gerry hamstrings I'd like Lennon over a centre half. I think Naismith or mirallas could play up top and do a job.

Mark we cannot play this season without another centre half it would be suicide.

A centre half and number 10 are a MUST so it's left with a straight choice betweenanother winger or back up striker.

Mark we cannot play this season without another centre half it would be suicide.

A centre half and number 10 are a MUST so it's left with a straight choice betweenanother winger or back up striker.

I agree completely, I'm just saying the question was would you rather have winger or centre half and seeing as both our wingers are seemingly injury prone, we'll need solid backup.

Honestly id rather ospina in goal over a striker. We can make do without a striker but a solid keeper could shore up the defense and turn the tide.

I agree completely, I'm just saying the question was would you rather have winger or centre half and seeing as both our wingers are seemingly injury prone, we'll need solid backup.

Honestly id rather ospina in goal over a striker. We can make do without a striker but a solid keeper could shore up the defense and turn the tide.

It was a winger of striker mate.

I don't think Lennon's one of the 3. Maybe mind games with Spurs saying he's not part of their squad but asking too much. Longer it goes and I'm talking the dying embers of the window it's who blinks 1st. He already knows what's what with Lennon so can just wait - with us playing Spurs in August they'd probably want to hold out until after that anyway. I think Lennon will sign but whether it's this window, January or even on a free next summer we'll see what suits us - I'd say we've got the power in this deal.

It was a winger of striker mate.

just shows how dire of a situation we are in that we have desparate needs in 5 positions (GK, CB, 10, W, F) and can only get 2-3 and who knows if all of those are even permanents. i'm really fearing this season, it's starting off with half the squad at the physio's and a lack of signings, i'm really hoping we aren't relegation fodder all campaign.

just shows how dire of a situation we are in that we have desparate needs in 5 positions (GK, CB, 10, W, F) and can only get 2-3 and who knows if all of those are even permanents. i'm really fearing this season, it's starting off with half the squad at the physio's and a lack of signings, i'm really hoping we aren't relegation fodder all campaign.

Disagree. We're fine at GK, with Robles ready to step in when needed. We just brought in Deulofeu, and injuries to wingers are temporary. We need what we've always needed: backup CB, #10, and backup striker.

Disagree. We're fine at GK, with Robles ready to step in when needed. We just brought in Deulofeu, and injuries to wingers are temporary. We need what we've always needed: backup CB, #10, and backup striker.

This makes sense to me, not that I think we'll actually get all 3. Maybe, hope so.

On wingers, I still assume Oviedo will get a little time at both LB and LW.