IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

Martinez moaning about the window being open in August???? Yet admits we need 3 more players?????

This man is not making too much sense at the moment.

reading between the lines, wasn't he really saying that if Chelsea really want Stones, they should match his valuation and give us enough time to find a replacement? And that it should all be done before the season starts, cos it's disruptive to the player, the manager, the team, the fans....

Hard to disagree with that really!

reading between the lines, wasn't he really saying that if Chelsea really want Stones, they should match his valuation and give us enough time to find a replacement? And that it should all be done before the season starts, cos it's disruptive to the player, the manager, the team, the fans....

Hard to disagree with that really!

Martinez should shoulder some of the blame. If he grew a pair and publicly stated " John Stones is not for sale at any price " the matter should be closed. Martinez still needing 3 players in August???

So what he's going to do to another club, is what he's actually whining about now.

We won't get the three players we "need" we will more than likely end up with Evans who you could say is needed depending on your view of him Lennon and that'll be that imo

We won't bring in a number ten that has the ability to walk straight into the side if any at all I've said this from the word go and as others have worryingly said now Kone has scored and how much Martinez obviously rates the man we won't bring in a forward

We will get palmed off with the usual we identified our targets early and worked hard to make it happen but sadly they chose other options etc

Austin doesnt excite me but its a new face. If its him then all well and good. get that number 10 in now. Im really not arsed about Shakiri he isnt a playmaker. I was more pissed off when we didnt sign Bojan last year

He is a playmaker he's played both as a winger and a attacking mid pretty much equally

I'm pissed as he has the ability to instantly improve us and he's gone to what will likely be a better side this season or one that we will be in direct competition for places with

Serious question, because I'm not as tactically aware as most (which I'm happy to admit). Why is a "number 10" suddenly such an important addition? We had pretty much the same personnel in 13/14 so managed a record points total without one so why is the position now seen as the panacea for us?

And who was the last good one we had?

This is in no way a facetious point, I really don't the answers.

Serious question, because I'm not as tactically aware as most (which I'm happy to admit). Why is a "number 10" suddenly such an important addition? We had pretty much the same personnel in 13/14 so managed a record points total without one so why is the position now seen as the panacea for us?

And who was the last good one we had?

This is in no way a facetious point, I really don't the answers.

mike that season barry was playing that role in my opinion. he was the more advanced of the 2 DCM and he was threading passes to all the midfielders and striker orchestrating the attack. Barkley was ACM and he also played a bit of this role, he drove the ball forward to pass or take a shot himself. So my answer is both those players gave us the closest to the "10 role". Mirallas led the team with assists so an argument could be made for him as well, but i stand by my assertion.

the reason we need it so badly now is due to the style of football we play post 2013/2014. mccarthy and barry seem to have been ordered to just sit and defend, with mccarthy now being tasked to push forward. barry is the better passer and has better vision, so this limits us. also ross has been instructed not to run with the ball (seemingly so) and just make quick touch passes to the other players. this means all the space he used to create which made other players open is now gone and so there are no open passes or open players because he's not pulling them off their man.

honestly with moyes i felt like pienaar was our 10. he would link up with everyone in the box and was the creative force attacking and being positive in the box. he cut inside and didn't just stay on the left. the year he was gone was similar to last year in that we just lacked that creative impetus in the final third. someone to take the ball and either pass it off or drive it in to attack.

Edited by markjazzbassist