IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

Are we in a better position than before?

Simple answer...Yes.

Is it immediate maybe no.

Are we looking to build..Yes.

Five minute fans will be upset.

Twenty year fans can see beyond.

Stop being so naive to think that money can buy you everything.

I wouldn't say we were stronger really. Probably about the same. But we do have a couple of days to change that, and my fingers are crossed that we will. If we get that creative player then it'll be job done.

Money can't buy you everything but it would be great to be able to spend money when we need to, like now. And if my crossing of fingers doesn't work it looks like we don't have much money at all. Which is slightly alarming and rather pitiful when we haven't spent much so far and play in a league that is awash with money. Surely you'll be a bit concerned about our finances too, Shukes?

It is mate.

All I'm trying to do is make it simple.

How do people feel?

I know we may be disappointed as we wanted more, but are we stronger now, rather same, or weaker?

I don't want arguments, just opinions.

How are we stronger? We lost two CB's and a reserve forward. We have several long-term injuries. Players are a year older which is quite relevant in the cases of Barry, Osman, Pienaar and Howard and to a lesser degree with Jagielka, Baines and Kone.

How are we stronger? We lost two CB's and a reserve forward. We have several long-term injuries. Players are a year older which is quite relevant in the cases of Barry, Osman, Pienaar and Howard and to a lesser degree with Jagielka, Baines and Kone.

Lost Distin and Alcaraz for Mori and young CB's Galloway and Pennington.

Gained Deulofeu, Rodrigeuz and Cleverley.

Kone returned to fitness and it seems form.

Window isn't over yet.

Mori could well be worse than Alcaraz. He's totally untested and from a much weaker league. Rodriguez is 22 and from an even worse league and with a pretty poor record. If we had signed a 22-year Englishman with 22 goals in 90 games from Burton for 500k would you even list him? There's no saying, he could still be a great signing.

Deulofeu needs to improve a lot. Cleverley is an improvement, but he basically needs to replace both Pienaar and Osman.

Shukes asked our status right now, not to guess what the squad might look on Wednesday morning.

Lost Distin and Alcaraz for Mori and young CB's Galloway and Pennington.

Gained Deulofeu, Rodrigeuz and Cleverley.

Kone returned to fitness and it seems form.

Window isn't over yet.

Pretty much my answer really.

I don't get why people wind themselves up before the window has closed? I find it so freakin' weird.

If the window closes and we are no better off, fine. Whinge and moan, protest, riot. Whatever. I'll probably duck out of here for a week if that happens. Until then...just wait!!!

But why do u wait till 2 days left? If u have your targets get them in. As usual we have a chance to be in the race for top four if we spent £40 mill on what we've got. Yarmelenko yes, Austin yes. Yes yes yes yes yes☝

Because that's the nature of the game. We won't be the only ones leaving it late. It's only us fans that create hysteria from it.

I don't know if you end up paying more or less than market value by leaving it late. I think it's just a bit of to and thro, see who buckles first.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of days, as a football fan, transfer deadline day excites me every year!!!

We lost two centre backs that were not going to make the team any longer.

We brought I'm two replacements that cam fit onto the team.

Again we let a reserve striker go and brought in one that may make our first team.

We have also added another winger and a midfielder.

Surely we look stronger now?

I'm gonna blow a fucking head gasket if we end up just with Lennon or a loan deal tomorrow. If we do there is absolutely no doubt we have no money. Watch the stadium talk come to the fore if it's the case then disappear again once the fume has subsided.

Same shit year on year with us we should all be used to it by now.

I'm gonna blow a fucking head gasket if we end up just with Lennon or a loan deal tomorrow. If we do there is absolutely no doubt we have no money. Watch the stadium talk come to the fore if it's the case then disappear again once the fume has subsided.

Same shit year on year with us we should all be used to it by now.

Just as us making some of our best signings on deadline day ;)

I'll be angry after tomorrow, for now I live in hope...

We lost two centre backs that were not going to make the team any longer.

We brought I'm two replacements that cam fit onto the team.

Again we let a reserve striker go and brought in one that may make our first team.

We have also added another winger and a midfielder.

Surely we look stronger now?

You should also consider what you measure against. Wouldn't this be against our rivals? Hypotethically if they each spent 100 million and we spent 5, would we be stronger?

You should also consider what you measure against. Wouldn't this be against our rivals? Hypotethically if they each spent 100 million and we spent 5, would we be stronger?

If we brought in the right players, yes. 100m vs 5m is irrelevant, as has been proven for at least a decade by the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland, Spurs, Wham,Villa.

Still work to be done but we're stronger now than we were.

If we brought in the right players, yes. 100m vs 5m is irrelevant, as has been proven for at least a decade by the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland, Spurs, Wham,Villa.

Still work to be done but we're stronger now than we were.

Oh, so that's why the teams at the top keep changing season-by-season rather than having an established top four.

Not sure what angle you are coming from here Makis.

Is it that the top 4 are our 'rivals'? We can't spend their sort of money. Not a chance.

The point being made is that you may spend £100 million but it doesn't necessarily make you stronger. There are teams out there spending fortunes year after year and not gaining anything.

We do have an improved squad. Hopefully we'll improve it more.

I didn't believe my sarcasm was so hard to understand.

In general, if you plot money spent versus average league position there is a strong dependency. And the whole "you can spend and it doesn't necessary make you stronger" is just stupid. Not spending any money then does? Which is more likely to strengthen the team, spending or not spending?

Exactly as MC put it.

Spending big CAN help you improve, IF you spend it well. But it doesn't guarantee a thing.

Spurs, Newcastle, West Ham, Stoke, Liverpool, Palace. that should pretty much be five to ten in the league come the end of the season. Not in that order mind, but if money guarantees it. See what happens in nine months.

I didn't believe my sarcasm was so hard to understand.

In general, if you plot money spent versus average league position there is a strong dependency. And the whole "you can spend and it doesn't necessary make you stronger" is just stupid. Not spending any money then does? Which is more likely to strengthen the team, spending or not spending?

Ok, so those who spend more must have the better squads. Fair enough, I'm just stupid.

Last 5 years spend...(in millions £)

City - 473

Chelsea - 462

Utd - 413

Pool - 349

Arsenal - 254

Spurs - 254

Soton - 164

Newcastle - 136

Villa - 122

S'land - 108

W'Ham - 107

EVERTON - 92

Swansea - 80

Palace - 75

WBA - 75

Stoke - 70

Norwich - 63

Leicester - 55

Bournemouth - 25

Watford - 12

It would be interesting to see the average league position for the last 5 years.

The problem with only looking at what is spent is that you fail to see what the club has sold or what they have kept hold of.

It's a difference of opinions. I just personally think there is more to it than just splashing the cash.