IGNORED

Summer Transfers: Who goes and who comes in?

Matt

Four players in by Tuesday according to RM. Two today (the South American's I imagine). No names given for the other two, obviously, but he says both will be attackers. Lennon will be one, would be my guess. Probably could've had that done before the game tomorrow but I doubt Spurs wanted him being able to play against them and make them look idiots if he helps us win.

C's other thread made me think I might as well start the annual "who should go, who should come in" thread.

No talk of Martinez please. This is all about players; cutting the deadwood and reinvesting.

My list would be:

Hibbert - Move him into the coaching staff. He's always been a decent defender, solid tackler at least, and Gods know we could do with that kind of instruction on the staff.

McGeady - The one-trick pony has had over a year to make an impression. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after coming from a spell of not playing in the Russian league, he's just never kicked on. However, there's enough youtube-like skill in him to convince someone to pay decent money for him in my opinion. 5-7m I would think.

Mirallas - I don't want him to go. I really don't. But this season he has been poor, uninterested and petulant. IF we could get him playing like last year again, it would be great but I don't have faith. Besides, even if he does have a great season for us, we'll end up selling him for a fraction of his worth anyway. If he goes this summer, we could get 10-12m for him easily. Next year would be half that.

Distin - A solid servant for the club who I've admired and was annoyed at the way he's been treated this season. However, relatively big wages on the books at 40k a week. His contract is up this summer anyway apparently, so pretty sure we won't see him in a blue shirt again.

Pienaar - the Stevie P we all know and love has not played for us consistently in over 2 seasons, and on a reported 60k a week he's just too expensive to keep around. Which is a shame, because we need someone of his ability. 1 year to go on his contract, I'd take what I could for him to be honest, 2-3m ideally.

Howard - Yup, even though I've repeatedly defended him, we need to cash in. Not just because its been a poor season by his standards, but with 2 years on his contract and MLS calls floating around, plus a more than adequate stand in with Robles, I think its time to move on. 3-5m would be my guess

Alcaraz - Another who I've defended because I see a decent player there. But, with his contract supposedly up in the summer, I'd not renew it.

Kone - Hard one this, but another aging player who has yet, in nearly 2 seasons on contract, to make any real impact. Same with Alcaraz, I see a decent player there but we should cash in on the remaining 12 months of his contract and move on. Not his fault he was out so long with injury but theres no space for sentiment here. 3m would be enough for me.

Assuming we can sell for the minimum amounts I've mentioned (around 23-25m), plus whatever new TV money there is, we could be looking at around 35-40m in the summer. Yeah, I know, but I can dream...

So who to bring in? Well, thats where I am stumped. The names bandied around in the rumourama section either are unknown to me, or never going to happen. So, I've put a number next to which priority each position needs in my eyes.

Prio 5: GK - Dunno, honestly no idea. I'd like Robles to be the starter, I think he's earned it, but we also need a back up if Howard goes in case Joel fails to deliver.

Prio 3: Def - Garbutt must be tied down to a long-term deal. Thats prio #1 for me. Take most of Distains wages and give it to the lad, he's going to be huge. Other than that, I don't know.

Prio 1: AMC - This position needs to be the marquee signing for me. That 1 player who has the trickery and quick passing ability ala Silva. Unfortunately those players don't come cheap. Would like to see Gerry return and move him more central.

Prio 2: Winger - I've been impressed with Lennons workrate, so it would depend on how much he would cost. 7m is too much, but if we can get him for under 5m, he would be a better option that McGeady. However, he would be second choice to Stephan El Shaarawy or Iker Muniain, but that not going to happen :(

Prio 4: ST - Henen. If its true that we've got an option to get him for 500k, and that he's enjoyed life in the u21s, then give him a chance to replace Kone.

Sorry but I don't see what anyone sees in Joel. He's a liability I can only remember one good game. I'd take TH every game.

The mobile version of toffeetalk throws me back to the start of each thread regardless of what I've viewed! Didn't check dates

No worries dude.

I think Joel is a decent keeper, he just needs a run of games to get up to speed. He'll never be our number 1 though

I like the idea of yarmolenko (apologies for any spelling mistakes), but geez I'd be happy to throw the sink at calhonoglu. The player any club needs, I reckon.

Watching how he acted when Son was in negotiations with Spurs, I don't think he'd leave Leverkuesen.

(though he would be a great #10)

Edited by TonkaRoost

1? Is he kidding? It's gone from 3 to 1!?

That's not enough.

Especially as TC is likely to be out for a while. When Rom's poor, Kone is an OK backup but we still need another. Mori will cover the CB but the most important is an attacking midfielder.

Attacking/Creative Midfielder

Striker

CB

Goalkeeper

Winger

Needed before the end of the window.

If we don't get the above, we'll be desperately short in quality and depth.

We WILL keep Stones and it will be hailed as our best effort and business, so signings weren't as important.

So the 2 south Americans were 2 of the 3 then!

Why the fuck does he talk so much shite. We need 3 Leandro isn't one of the 3 he's one of 4 now we hope to bring in 1.

Fuck right off. I'm convinced everything hinged on Stones going. Disgrace if so and I hope this board are exposed for their incompetence if it turns out to be the case.

No fucking money again.

I've a horrible feeling we may have done all our business this summer (Mori in classing as a cert). If that's the case and a few injuries later and we're playing untried youngsters.

With the TV deal surely we have some kind of pot to piss in! Or is our miscellaneous spending going to be higher than ever this year???

Edited by smeghead1

What a disaster of a window this has been. Honestly, what have we been doing since May? We've brought in four so far but have we really improved on last season?

Cleverley: Great bit of business on a free. Looks to have settled immediately. Calm with the ball, hard-working and can pass forward. A welcome addition.

Deulofeu: Again, for 4 million you can't really go wrong. I want him to get more minutes after the international break though. However, there is a buy back clause, so I don't know if we can relax completely over the deal yet.

Mori: No-one knows much about him really. Read some reports that he's going to struggle while others say he's a decent player. An unproven South American coming into the premiership hardly strikes me with confidence though. We'll see.

Rodriguez: Again, unproven. Not a great record in Uruguay. Not expecting much, if anything, from him this season.

What makes me laugh is that Martinez has said numerous times in interviews that what we need is a number 10 and that we need to look abroad for one as homegrown players don't fit the type of player we're looking for. We knew this since probably christmas last year so I'm assuming that our scouts have been looking abroad for this player for at least 6 months and yet I'm writing this on the 30th of August, with two days remaining in the transfer window and still no number ten has been brought in. It's laughable really. What the hell have we been doing?

Edit

To add to the misery, looks like Yarmolenko is off to Dortmund for 15 million.

Edited by Geth

Honestly, for the number 10 role, I imagine Martinez and the scouting team looking for some players, finding targets and then when they ask formally for a fee they see it...and back off.

There is no continental player that, for less than £15m, would do the job Everton needs. The only one I would have liked is Denis Suarez (also at Sevilla, just transferred to Villarreal for 4m).

But I have the feeling that the likes of Yarmolenko are far from the club's means (don't you think that any manager would like to spend in any transfer window silly money to guarantee his success?). Then, when the board does not approve spending more than 10-15 in total, we end up bringing a free player, a reject with potential and two unproven players from overseas.

Martinez can be a bit optimistic sometimes but I can't imagine him not trying to strenghten the team...and he likes to spend too (i.e.: McCarthy, Lukaku)

Are we in a better position than before?

Simple answer...Yes.

Is it immediate maybe no.

Are we looking to build..Yes.

Five minute fans will be upset.

Twenty year fans can see beyond.

Stop being so naive to think that money can buy you everything.

Strange post and quite bold assumptions Shukes...