IGNORED

Pre-season Friendlies 2015-16

c1982

For those who watched match (or even if you didn't - I'll never know), how about a comment on Barkley's play? Where on pitch, how effective, calibre of his football brain in this match?

And Cleverly - where did he play? Replaced Barkley or someone else? Did he play anything remotely like a #10?

For those who watched match (or even if you didn't - I'll never know), how about a comment on Barkley's play? Where on pitch, how effective, calibre of his football brain in this match?

And Cleverly - where did he play? Replaced Barkley or someone else? Did he play anything remotely like a #10?

Barkley was playing box to box. Mostly on the left of center. Lots of short passes, but always had his head up. Deulofeu was the only one up front doing anything of worth and he looked for and found him all the time. He wasn't super effective, but that's down to nobody up front (other than Deulofeu) making any worthwhile runs and drawing defenders.

Cleverly was box to box, too. Though, most of his action was right of center. The Besic injury forcing Barry back into midfield kind of dictated that. He wasn't playing a #10 role. I think it's likely that he wasn't the continental #10 Martinez had in mind. So, that's good news. He moved the ball quickly and showed excellent vision. He sprayed it about a bit and his accuracy was great, I thought. He was composed defensively. Even tried to bend in a shot that didn't look too bad (maybe two?), but went over the top left corner. Good debut, I think. He looks like he could take Barry's spot in the team.

Thanks, JoeQuince, for the descriptions of Barkley's and Cleverly's play. Hope Cleverly gets a chance to share and eventually replace Barry's spot. He's got Barry beat for pace, so if he develops Barry's vision and matches Barry's often lovely passing, we're considerably strengthened over next several seasons.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Even during pre-season Barry plays every game... just doesn't make sense to me.

Really starting to fuck me off. Barkley in for Barry and after this game if Kone is still rubbish Conor Mac needs time

Edited by Btay