IGNORED

Tom Davies

33 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Trouble is Pete he is giving the ball away all game every game so those murmurs are building in to a crescendo

Its a bit of an stretch to say Davies gives the ball away all game every game!

Yes he was poor against Norwich but good against Lpool. 

He is number 7 in our MOTM standings.

I want him to stay and have the benefit of working under Carlo, but ultimately I trust the manager to make the right decision.

3 hours ago, StevO said:

I know he had a bunch of loans, but Leon Osman was the midfielder who was never good enough but always waited for a chance to get in the team. Was never the best player, but from about 25 onwards he became a very steady player who could be relied upon. Would it be so bad if Davies stuck around and became that player? Just a steady Eddie in the squad, without being a world beater.

He might not be the best, but we’ve seen plenty who are worse. We wouldn’t get enough money to make it worthwhile selling him, and we would then need to find a replacement. Id still pick him over Delph every week. I’d rather we bring in a top level midfielder to partner Gomes and bring Davies in and out as needed, than to go and take a risk on another player. 

I don't remember seeing a lot of Osman when he was young so I can't really compare but Osman was a good technical player and he had a brain on him. 

As I said before I haven't argued that he should be sold per se, just that he isn't a player I would want to play every week or a significant chunk of the season as and when injuries hit.

3 hours ago, StevO said:

But why does he have to be the player to take us to the next level? Why can’t he be a player in the squad who helps when needed? We will need back up players, why buy one if we’ve already got one?

It was and general comment about us as a club going to the next level not just Davies doing it himself. 

If Davies plays as many games as he has this season, it doesn't matter who the manager is, we won't be going anywhere fast.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

You're watching a different Tom Davies than me if you think he has good shooting technique and is a good passer. IMO he does decent enough vision but his technique isn't good enough for him to execute it consistently. 

I also don't see him as a leader and he isn't exactly a great tackler either. He has bottle and bravery and that would be his biggest attribute IMO. He doesn't hide but the problem is his other technical and physical failings stop him from imposing himself on the game.

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

Just to throw it in here for a bit more balance, he isn't the only player in this squad that I struggle to see what they bring. 

IMO it's far more criminal that we brought Delph in on big wages to bring absolutely nothing to the side. 

I see where you’re coming from Bailey. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I'm glad someone does as I'm never too sure myself!  😂

I’m totally in agreement  with you. 
It’s the basics he seems to fail at. He lost the ball cheaply against Norwich, and then didn’t even attempt to get back... the old pass it on to someone else... came to mind. 
I also don’t see this shooting technique. 
I don’t get this passing ability either. 
leadership? 
Tackling is like watching a bad Paul Scholes.

That said, I like Tom Davies and desperately want him to succeed. I’m just struggling to see what his best attribute is.

33 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I’m totally in agreement  with you. 
It’s the basics he seems to fail at. He lost the ball cheaply against Norwich, and then didn’t even attempt to get back... the old pass it on to someone else... came to mind. 
I also don’t see this shooting technique. 
I don’t get this passing ability either. 
leadership? 
Tackling is like watching a bad Paul Scholes.

That said, I like Tom Davies and desperately want him to succeed. I’m just struggling to see what his best attribute is.

Are you not prepared to consider that a lot of what you said could have been caused by the heat getting to him, I’m going to assume that you never felt that way as much after the Liverpool game only because you never said so at the time. 
The reason I say this is because some people who are fit can’t deal with sun and high temperatures that’s just a fact. 
I had Carpenters between the ages of 40-60 working on roofs Wednesday who all come to work Thursday, I had 2 younger and they look fitter cry off Thursday suffering from heat exhaustion. 
I accept he was the worst I’ve ever seen him in any game, but I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt that the conditions got to him, because I’ve never witnessed him play like he’d never seen a football before. 
Just trying to put some understanding of what went wrong 🤷‍♂️

Your assumption is wrong mate. 

I think this every time I watch him play if I’m honest.

But I’m open to you showing me his shooting technique. 
His good passing technique. 
His good tackling technique. 
Or his leadership skills.

Because honestly, I have tried and tried to see the best parts of him, but I just can’t say what his strengths are. I mean is he a box to box? Defensive mid? Attacking mid? Something else?

I really want him to explode or life, I honestly do. But I’m slowly turning around to many others thinking, that he might just not be good enough. I’m happy for him to sit on the bench and be a squad player. 

6 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Your assumption is wrong mate. 

I think this every time I watch him play if I’m honest.

Because honestly, I have tried and tried to see the best parts of him, but I just can’t say what his strengths are. I mean is he a box to box? Defensive mid? Attacking mid? Something else?

I really want him to explode or life, I honestly do. But I’m slowly turning around to many others thinking, that he might just not be good enough. I’m happy for him to sit on the bench and be a squad player. 

Your right he isn’t a master of any of those traits you mentioned, and he wouldn’t be on my team sheet as a starter on regular basis, but normally is all round game gets him through when required, but against Norwich I think that could go down as one of the worst performances I’ve seen of any player in an Everton shirt, which for me was not representative of a majority of his games, which makes me think he suffered from the weather conditions, because if that was representative of all his games for us then sack Carlo today, because no manager deserves to be in a job if they pick a player who plays like that every game. 

44 minutes ago, Shukes said:

He scored a chipped goal against City and in general when he has a pop it tends to be decently strook and near the target compared to a lot of midfielders who hit row z. 

I don't see how you can question this one. Surely you've appreciated some of the balls he's put through are top class. He's probably the player most comfortable taking the ball with either foot as well. 

He positions himself so well he doesn't have to go flying in all the time, also comfortable to take the ball with either foot which makes it easier for him. The Scholes comparison is good, Scholes was the same just he had the reputation of being a poor defensively as he tactically took a yellow. 

He captained us and the England youth teams. 

A big example would be the United game when he coached Holgate through the match. (Which is Davies biggest problem, he doesn't have anyone coaching him out there. It's no surprise that his best performances had Barry next to him.)

Also when we're under pressure he's a player we look to to shield the ball, in general he's the player who doesn't shy under pressure. 

49 minutes ago, Palfy said:

According to Fox his stats are one the best this season for a MF in our squad  better than Delph, Gylfi, Iwobi, Gomes and Schneiderlin, the only one in front of him is Bernard.

Now that surprised 😮 me completely, now they maybe wrong or I’ve misinterpreted them completely, but if right wow and wow again.

I think I’ll put that down to stats are bollocks, Gana’s were good and he was shit so same here possibly 😂

Haha I was just about to say.... read back what you just wrote. 

It’s a bit like PeteOs post above, Niasse scores a fantastic goal, made a fantastic pass, and even dribbled past three players..... 

Proof will be in the pudding. Carlo will pick him even when he has the players he wants in the squad.... if Davies is good enough.

If he isn’t good enough, you’ll probably see him put on the bench even before we buy players. Imagine if Delph is fit and he gets picked before Davies.... that will surely settle it.

It’s pretty damning for the poor lad to have you two Ps rate him, that usually spells doom for any player 😉

24 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Haha I was just about to say.... read back what you just wrote. 

It’s a bit like PeteOs post above, Niasse scores a fantastic goal, made a fantastic pass, and even dribbled past three players..... 

Proof will be in the pudding. Carlo will pick him even when he has the players he wants in the squad.... if Davies is good enough.

If he isn’t good enough, you’ll probably see him put on the bench even before we buy players. Imagine if Delph is fit and he gets picked before Davies.... that will surely settle it.

It’s pretty damning for the poor lad to have you two Ps rate him, that usually spells doom for any player 😉

They usually end up leaving so that should make you happy 😃 

56 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Haha all joking aside, I hope he stays. Local lad and he can do a job for us. 

That would be nice, but there is something to be said for the comment that if he is a first choice MF next season we are going to struggle to get to where we want to be?

57 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I think even his staunchest supporters will admit that he won’t be first choice mate. 
I think he is that player we can bring on and battle and stop the other team playing, when we’re defending a goal lead. Just come on and do a job.

I think he is an all-rounder and that is part of the problem which role to play him in, he has played a more box to box role under previous managers, then for England he played as a defensive holder linking defence and attack.

For me he is good at reading the game and closing off passing lanes, he is a good passer, and tries to get the ball forward, and he draws fouls. 

He has brain farts and losses possession in silly areas and when he is poor he is very very poor. But he never stops trying.

Like I say I want to see a world class manager like Carlo can do with him.

I don't think he is a poor player at all, but that game against Norwich was something else. 

Like others have said, I don't really see what his role is in the squad. He's not going to score a lot of goals; he's not going to be a defensive hound; and he's not going to be a creative player in the middle of the park. I so desperately want him to succeed, but he really has regressed since he first made his appearances. 

41 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

I don't think he is a poor player at all, but that game against Norwich was something else. 

Like others have said, I don't really see what his role is in the squad. He's not going to score a lot of goals; he's not going to be a defensive hound; and he's not going to be a creative player in the middle of the park. I so desperately want him to succeed, but he really has regressed since he first made his appearances. 

To be fair our midfield has regressed over the last couple of years.