IGNORED

Tom Davies

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I was embarrassed for him tonight. The highlight of his game was the air shot he had. Incidentally, that was his best first touch of the game. Mainly because he didn’t touch it.

Im still not seeing a single thing to change my mind about him. He still looks totally out of his depth and nowhere near good enough. 

Yep can’t disagree there. Gilfy came on didn’t lose the ball every touch and that transformed the game. Hes been poor but I think he took it to a new level today. Shame as I’ve always really wanted him to succeed at the highest level but I just don’t think it’ll happen. 

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

The question is what does he offer to the side? Technically average, physically below average, mentally maybe slightly higher than average. 

I don't mind him filling in for a game or two here and there. I wouldn't want him having a run in the side.

He offers energy but seeing as he’s so slow and positionally thick as pig shit it doesn’t actually make any difference. 

12 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

for those that would like to get rid (not me BTW), how much do you think we could realistically get for him?  i doubt he's on super high wages either.

According to https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tom-davies/profil/spieler/314210 £14.5m.

Love the kid but for that money I'd cycle up on a tandem to help him relocate.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

for those that would like to get rid (not me BTW), how much do you think we could realistically get for him?  i doubt he's on super high wages either.

Does it really matter how much we get for him? Either he is good enough or he isn't. 

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

But what would £14.5 get you to replace him, given we need to strengthen in many other areas?

I would bite your hand off for £14.5m for him. How many midfielders is he better than in the league? It's not going to be a particularly high percentage. 

As an example Brighton bought Mooy for less than £6mil. I know who I would rather have. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

As an example Brighton bought Mooy for less than £6mil. I know who I would rather have. 

We should have brought Mooy in regardless (price was low as he only had a year left on his contract when they got relegated). Would have been the perfect stop gap whilst we looked for a better player and give Davies a chance to develop. 

A journeyman 29 year old who has played 7 times in the league for a struggling side, think I will take the England U23 captain with time on his side myself.

Yet people get excited about Declan Rice (rated £44m?!) and the Chelsea kids yet Davies is head and shoulders above them. Koeman rated him highly enough to get him to skip the kids world cup. 

Does it really matter how much we get for him? Either he is good enough or he isn't.

You’re better than that bailey.  Every team needs bench and rotation players. World beaters won’t be satisfied sitting on the bench.  Even Barca has some average players on their bench.  They aren’t good enough but they’re there to serve a purpose, no shame in Tom doing that for us.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

You’re better than that bailey.  Every team needs bench and rotation players. World beaters won’t be satisfied sitting on the bench.  Even Barca has some average players on their bench.  They aren’t good enough but they’re there to serve a purpose, no shame in Tom doing that for us.

Maybe Bailey doesn't think he's good enough even for that.

15 hours ago, London Blue said:

A journeyman 29 year old who has played 7 times in the league for a struggling side, think I will take the England U23 captain with time on his side myself.

Not sure where you are looking but he has played 24 times for Brighton this season. You can have all the time you want, but Mooy is a far better all round player. Technically and mentally very strong.

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I have said that he could stick around if he is happy to play on the bench plenty of times but a young footballer should be going out and trying to play regularly not just sat on the bench wasting his career waiting for an injury or two to fill in and then be dropped again when they are back.

The players on your bench should be ones that you are happy to rely on for a string of games. At worse they should be players that have a specific role in the squad, a bit like Park and Solskjear had at Utd. Would you want to be in the position we are in now season after season where a main midfielder gets injured and then Davies comes in to play 23 times like he has done this season? 

8 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Not sure where you are looking but he has played 24 times for Brighton this season. You can have all the time you want, but Mooy is a far better all round player. Technically and mentally very strong.

I have said that he could stick around if he is happy to play on the bench plenty of times but a young footballer should be going out and trying to play regularly not just sat on the bench wasting his career waiting for an injury or two to fill in and then be dropped again when they are back.

The players on your bench should be ones that you are happy to rely on for a string of games. At worse they should be players that have a specific role in the squad, a bit like Park and Solskjear had at Utd. Would you want to be in the position we are in now season after season where a main midfielder gets injured and then Davies comes in to play 23 times like he has done this season? 

My bad, Wiki split this season into two as he signed on a permanent deal this season, adm I only used the number since he signed.. 

My point still stands though, he is at the peak of his career in terms of age and is playing for Brighton, no disrespect to the man but that is not what I want for Everton.

I am a Davies fan and would be interested to see how he would fair in Carlo's team for 23 games. It would massively aid his development and answer once and for all where he is as in terms of  a future with us. Personally I think he can become a really useful player for us.

My bad, Wiki split this season into two as he signed on a permanent deal this season, adm I only used the number since he signed.. 

My point still stands though, he is at the peak of his career in terms of age and is playing for Brighton, no disrespect to the man but that is not what I want for Everton.

I am a Davies fan and would be interested to see how he would fair in Carlo's team for 23 games. It would massively aid his development and answer once and for all where he is as in terms of  a future with us. Personally I think he can become a really useful player for us.

i am too, removed him as my avatar (gotta take off the pressure LOL), but i still think he can come good.  our youngsters take a while (lundstrum, duffy, barkley) to mature

3 hours ago, London Blue said:

Haha I thought that must have been the case!

I'm not sitting here saying that Mooy is the man we should sign and it's problem solved or anything like that but is mooy better than Davies... Yes... Does he cost less than Davies... Yes. I'd hope our scouts could do a better job than that but it was a quick example that I came up with off the top of my head. 

He has had time under plenty of coaches now, I don't know what you expect to suddenly improve to make him the type of player that can help us get to the next level.

I know he had a bunch of loans, but Leon Osman was the midfielder who was never good enough but always waited for a chance to get in the team. Was never the best player, but from about 25 onwards he became a very steady player who could be relied upon. Would it be so bad if Davies stuck around and became that player? Just a steady Eddie in the squad, without being a world beater.

He might not be the best, but we’ve seen plenty who are worse. We wouldn’t get enough money to make it worthwhile selling him, and we would then need to find a replacement. Id still pick him over Delph every week. I’d rather we bring in a top level midfielder to partner Gomes and bring Davies in and out as needed, than to go and take a risk on another player. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

He has had time under plenty of coaches now, I don't know what you expect to suddenly improve to make him the type of player that can help us get to the next level.

But why does he have to be the player to take us to the next level? Why can’t he be a player in the squad who helps when needed? We will need back up players, why buy one if we’ve already got one?

4 hours ago, Matt said:

He’s got Ossie syndrome. He’ll be and become even more an integral squad player. But he’ll never be first choice. 

I loved the look of Davies as a youth team player and after that City game I thought he was going to be the real deal but sadly he just hasn’t progressed   If anything he has dramatically regressed

Ive not been in this thread for a while so the first post I read was a reply to my comment from this tweet after the Chelsea game

Sadly nothing has changed , the same applied against Norwich 

He has far too many games that totally pass him by 

Ossie had great feet, a cool head and an eye for a goal, name one quality that Davies has 

That city game he had Barry to talk him through the match and more importantly show for the ball. Compare how Barry plays to the likes of Schneiderlin and Gana and there's no question who makes it easier. 

The Chelsea game was he any worse than the rest of them? Nope. Much like Osman, Davies gets far too much grief from his own fans. The lad only has to give the ball away once and there's murmurs. 

Compare him to Gana, Schneiderlin and even Gomes and none of them stand out head and shoulders above him. Davies passing % is no worse yet he's the one who takes the most risk. Of them all Davies is the one that has the best vision. 

2 minutes ago, pete0 said:

That city game he had Barry to talk him through the match and more importantly show for the ball. Compare how Barry plays to the likes of Schneiderlin and Gana and there's no question who makes it easier. 

The Chelsea game was he any worse than the rest of them? Nope. Much like Osman, Davies gets far too much grief from his own fans. The lad only has to give the ball away once and there's murmurs. 

Trouble is Pete he is giving the ball away all game every game so those murmurs are building in to a crescendo

I get the point about Ossie, even though I was a big fan of his, but again I ask the question . What does Tom bring to the table?

That is a genuine question btw because I just can’t see what it is

He is still young , I also get that, but he just isn’t dong it in an Everton shirt

Maybe , as I’ve alluded to before, he needs a loan to sort himself out and discover what type of player he wants to be

If he can get back to the all action player he was in the youth team  then we all win, if not he needs to find a club in the lower leagues where he can get regular playing time 

8 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Trouble is Pete he is giving the ball away all game every game so those murmurs are building in to a crescendo

He really doesn't give it away anymore than anyone else though. That reputation stales him with some fans and it really needs kicking in the bud. 

I get the point about Ossie, even though I was a big fan of his, but again I ask the question . What does Tom bring to the table?

Vision, passing, tackling, leadership. His shooting is average but has good technique so wouldn't be surprised if he starts scoring a bit more once we're playing better. Only real negative is his pace but everything else will get better with time.

Of the English centre mids it's only Gilmour at Chelsea that's outplayed him (but our whole team was shite that day). Yet none of the others get the same pressure or abuse, if anything their fans are the opposite and blow smoke up their arse. Be nice if our fans starting believing in our youth or at least help take the pressure off otherwise we could end up scaring him off like Barkley. 

That is a genuine question btw because I just can’t see what it is

He is still young , I also get that, but he just isn’t dong it in an Everton shirt

Maybe , as I’ve alluded to before, he needs a loan to sort himself out and discover what type of player he wants to be

If he can get back to the all action player he was in the youth team  then we all win, if not he needs to find a club in the lower leagues where he can get regular playing time