IGNORED

Tom Davies

Stupid to say he's peaked. How many midfielders even start at his age to even show what they've got.

Of the players in his position aged 23 and under there's; Gilmour, McTominay, Guendouzi, Fernandes, Ndombélé, Choudhuri, Ndidi, Tielemans, Rice, Longstaff, Cook, Douglas, Berge. 

Out of all his age bracket I'd put him as the third best behind Tielemans and Ndidi. Technically Ndidi is more of a defensive mid so could even argue Davies is the second best up and coming centre mid. 

He's also already got more to him than a few of the ones a little older too: Winks (24), Chalobah (25), Loftus-Cheek (24), Meyer (24). 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

Stupid to say he's peaked. How many midfielders even start at his age to even show what they've got.

Of the players in his position aged 23 and under there's; Gilmour, McTominay, Guendouzi, Fernandes, Ndombélé, Choudhuri, Ndidi, Tielemans, Rice, Longstaff, Cook, Douglas, Berge. 

Out of all his age bracket I'd put him as the third best behind Tielemans and Ndidi. Technically Ndidi is more of a defensive mid so could even argue Davies is the second best up and coming centre mid. 

He's also already got more to him than a few of the ones a little older too: Winks (24), Chalobah (25), Loftus-Cheek (24), Meyer (24). 

Its more about experience than age IMO. Age is used as a marker for young players because it tends to suggest that they haven't played a lot but Davies has 100 games under his belt and about 4 seasons. That's a good number to see how far a player is going to go. I can't imagine too many players suddenly come on leaps and bounds after 100 top flight games. 

There are plenty of 'meh' players in that group. I wouldn't say any of them were worse as such, just similar levels of average. I have seen enough of McTominay, Fernandes, Tielemans, Rice and Ndidi to say they are comfortably much better all round footballers with far less experience in the league (most of them). I like what I have seen from Gilmour too but its very early days and he is tiny.

Winks is a similar average player, Chalobah has been plagued by injury and Loftus-Cheek has far more going for him if he could also stay fit. 

He needs taking to the vet now.

Can’t play a pass, can’t beat a man, can’t mark a man (or a space), can’t tackle or close down.

I’ve never seen a player run down as many dead ends.

Sorry to say that, as he burst on the scene but 100 games later he has managed to get Much worse As a player.

i thought he had a great match.  was snapping at their heels for everything and sure a couple misplaced passes (literally everyone on our team had at least 1-2 of them) so i'm not sure why people single him out.  he was great in transition with that little half turn and looking up to move the ball.  drove the ball up the pitch a few times to spark the attack too.  people are too critical of him IMO, great match tom

11 hours ago, c1982 said:

He looked good in parts and his effort can’t be faulted but he is just far too sloppy. I do hope Carlo sees enough that he can work with and improve but Davies needs to cut out the 3/4 (at least) stupid errors most games if he wants to stick around long term.

This. He was woeful in the first half, along with the rest of them, but he did get better in the second half. His better, though, isn't anything that suggests a long term starting spot in our side.

Like Gyfi, it was nice to see an improvement in him but he still needs moving on in the summer or relegated to a bench role. If those two are starting a lot of games next season then we've failed in the upcoming transfer window.

18 minutes ago, London Blue said:

He has a future here, if he gets his confidence back and plays in a settled midfield he will improve. I think he will be a very useful player for us. Just my opinion, but ultimately Carlo will have the final say, and I trust his judgement. 

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens with Davies after Carlo has a transfer window like.

His problem I think is that he tries too hard. He comes, makes himself available and gets the ball, if we have possession. If we don’t have the ball he Quickly closes down. That the best part of his game. The problem comes that he is only good enough to have a 50% success rate in pulling stuff off on even his betters days. Today was one of those better days, but most of the time the outcome is that the opposition have the ball and he is out of position. Can’t have that in a top flight midfielder, sadly. 

Not good enough I'm afraid.  Wish the lad all the very best - when it goes wrong for him him he doesn't hide and that is a credit to him.   He's been very unlucky to play with some of the biggest shithouses I've ever seen wear an Everton shirt.  Schneiderlein, Siggurdson, Walcott, Mirallas, the list goes on. 

Looked like a potential superstar.  I'm hoping a side like Bournemouth come in for him and he restarts his career. 

Lacks pace & strength and doesnt have enough attributes to nullify these deficiencies. He looks to at least play the ball forward and has good positioning.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Like Dan Gosling in many respects as a player I think, though I'm sure he wouldn't screw us like Gosling did. Great shame if he moves on for me because I love his attitude and his uncle was a big hero of mine; maybe with some better players around him he could still contribute something in the future, modern day Alan Harper/Kevin Richardson possibly. Live in hope.

This is exactly why the amount of shit he gets pisses me off.  His commitment to the club is never in doubt, if half of these mercenaries had an ounce of his heart we wouldn't be in the shit we were in.

Sadly he seems to carry the can for the disgusting performances we have seen from siggy, Gomes,  delph, schneiderlein......  this lad doesn't have their talent.  So yeah the once in a blue moon performances they decide to throw in buys them a bit of credit with some fans who seem to think the odd 30 harder or a game where they make some good passes makes up for a season of strolling round with clean shorts.

Tom Davies has been massively mistreated by fans, he's still a kid age wise and the amount of pressure he's been under and lack of on for me mentorship is a disgrace. 

He was fine next to Barry. What midfielder has done well since he left? 

Put him next to someone good and then judge. Just look at the Sig bid poster by haf. What the fuck can you do with cunts hiding like that. He had Gana and Sig last season both fucking doing it. Gomes isn't much better for it either.

As for Davies I see him making himself available, dragging players, and putting decent passes. If anything he's made the most passes that have had me impressed. 

Bar a yard of pace he's above average or better at everything else. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

This is exactly why the amount of shit he gets pisses me off.  His commitment to the club is never in doubt, if half of these mercenaries had an ounce of his heart we wouldn't be in the shit we were in.

Sadly he seems to carry the can for the disgusting performances we have seen from siggy, Gomes,  delph, schneiderlein......  this lad doesn't have their talent.  So yeah the once in a blue moon performances they decide to throw in buys them a bit of credit with some fans who seem to think the odd 30 harder or a game where they make some good passes makes up for a season of strolling round with clean shorts.

Tom Davies has been massively mistreated by fans, he's still a kid age wise and the amount of pressure he's been under and lack of on for me mentorship is a disgrace. 

Couldn’t agree more mate.  

• 1 month later...

I think a year away on loan would do him good, would rather it be at a premier league club, think he has played enough games already at this level and championship would be a step backwards for him. A promoted club would be ideal. If he had a year as a regular starter, i think by the end of the season we would then know if he had a future at the club.