IGNORED

Tom Davies

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

If he keeps playing balls like the one for Walcott in the second half against Spurs you’ll be right. That was sexy. 

It's exciting to see he has that kind of vision in his game. Maybe he's just needed a bit of confidence to start showing it. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Strange we didn't see him on the pitch last season so he could improve on them aspects. Hard to be more consistent if you're not actually playing, guess it does avoid you getting an early yellow though... 

He’s 21 and seems to have matured. If his form stays consistent as it’s been recently then I’d have to credit the coaching staff because when he was getting minutes it’s was an 8 followed by a series of 4’s.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

He’s 21 and seems to have matured. If his form stays consistent as it’s been recently then I’d have to credit the coaching staff because when he was getting minutes it’s was an 8 followed by a series of 4’s.

He played 975 minutes last season. He was getting twice that many minutes under the previous two managers when he was even younger. 

Form had nothing to do with it. He only played when Gomes was unfit or Gana was in Africa. Davies coming in when the latter was away is arguably the turning point of our season to.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

He played 975 minutes last season. He was getting twice that many minutes under the previous two managers when he was even younger. 

Form had nothing to do with it. He only played when Gomes was unfit or Gana was in Africa. Davies coming in when the latter was away is arguably the turning point of our season to.

Understood. Last year a lot of people thought he was stale and hadn’t progressed at all from when he first came on the scene. Without knowing the exact details of what they have worked on or spoken about in regards to his game it’s hard to pinpoint how much Silva and his team have effected his consistency right now.

For me, giving him the captaincy has matured him vastly - credit silva. Maybe sitting out a bit and developing bits of game has contributed to what we are seeing now. If he stays this consistent and keep a producing good levels, then I’ll happily say having a quite year was worth it, given he is still only 21.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

Understood. Last year a lot of people thought he was stale and hadn’t progressed at all from when he first came on the scene. Without knowing the exact details of what they have worked on or spoken about in regards to his game it’s hard to pinpoint how much Silva and his team have effected his consistency right now.

For me, giving him the captaincy has matured him vastly - credit silva. Maybe sitting out a bit and developing bits of game has contributed to what we are seeing now. If he stays this consistent and keep a producing good levels, then I’ll happily say having a quite year was worth it, given he is still only 21.

Captain was last year for a couple of games and then dropped for no reason other than Gomes coming in and Gana being older than him. Both had stinkers and so did Sigurdssen yet Davies only got minutes when someone was unavailable. 

Digne has the armband now so don't see how making Davies captain for a couple of weeks nearly a year ago has had an impact. 

Sitting out helps you develop? The lad needed minutes and at the moment he's showing exactly why he should have already been getting them. Davies took part in every game for the rest of the season under Koeman after coming in and doing well, that well the club stopped him from going the u21s world cup. (Koeman then opted for the Schneiderlin-Gana beginning of the season and ultimately results went the other way and Koeman got chopped). Alladyce took over and we saw more of Davies again. Silva then took over and halved his playing time when if anything he should have been getting more minutes. 

First 8 matches got 20 minutes. That's less than 3% of playing time. It took four straight defeats for him to start a game. Last season no matter how bad the seniors were Davies didn't get a sniff. Doesn't look like a manager that trusts or believes in him. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Captain was last year for a couple of games and then dropped for no reason other than Gomes coming in and Gana being older than him. Both had stinkers and so did Sigurdssen yet Davies only got minutes when someone was unavailable. 

Digne has the armband now so don't see how making Davies captain for a couple of weeks nearly a year ago has had an impact. 

Sitting out helps you develop? The lad needed minutes and at the moment he's showing exactly why he should have already been getting them. Davies took part in every game for the rest of the season under Koeman after coming in and doing well, that well the club stopped him from going the u21s world cup. (Koeman then opted for the Schneiderlin-Gana beginning of the season and ultimately results went the other way and Koeman got chopped). Alladyce took over and we saw more of Davies again. Silva then took over and halved his playing time when if anything he should have been getting more minutes. 

First 8 matches got 20 minutes. That's less than 3% of playing time. It took four straight defeats for him to start a game. Last season no matter how bad the seniors were Davies didn't get a sniff. Doesn't look like a manager that trusts or believes in him. 

Each to their for opinions mate.

last season I saw a Davies that was under criticism for consistency and now he seems to be stringing together a series of good performances. I’ve noticed a massive improvement in forward passing - especially threading between fullback and centre back. 

My point is - he is 21, he’s playing the best and most consistent football I’ve seen from him and I hope as much as anyone that this is his natural level and we will see this and more from here on in. 

You can look back on my comments on him, last season I asked for consistency and this season I asked for him in a midfield 3 because I appreciate his qualities.

Davies is looking good for me he’s always looked good when he’s been given a decent run at it. 
I don’t attribute any of that down to Silva he showed it before Silva got here, he got his opportunity to season not because Silva had been working with him on the training ground, and had decided he was now the player I want him to be so I’ll catapult him into the first team, he got his opportunity back in the team purely due to injuries if Silva had any thoughts of him being in the first team this or next season why go out and buy 3 midfielders who when not injured were on the team sheet in front of him. 
Fair play to Tom for me he’s shown again what he is capable of, and for Silva to try and take the credit for the way he has been playing is completely out of order. 

Aside from the run he had when he first broke into the team under Koeman he has always been very inconsistent. That has been a feature for quite a few players in that time period as well.

These last few games aside you have had to take the rough with the smooth with him. He has generally been poor when he had been played deeper but better when he has been allowed to go and get involved in attacks. I would have never have trusted him in a two man midfield prior to the last few games. His ball retention has been better and his positioning has been much better. He looks responsible and he has never looked like that before. It looks to me as though he is learning a lot from Gomes in respect of how to try and control and influence games.

I don't know enough about what they have done together to credit Silva for it but he has definitely improved in the games I have seen of him recently. It remains to be seen as to how long that continues because that has been his weakness in the past.

4 hours ago, StevO said:

Looks to me like whatever he’s been doing at Finch Farm has improved his game. The Tom Davies from the last few weeks is levels above anything I’ve seen from him before. 

He has always had the quality and the skills, what he lacked was proper first team coaching to bring it out and time in the first team.

Always rated him.  Since he is local, fans will ALWAYS give him stick for not being the best footballer in the world.  Hopefully he will change some minds with a run of games due to injuries.  As long as Morgan is still employed by the club then Tom will never be our worst midfield option. A crucial mistake made by previous managers and our current one.

7 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Always rated him.  Since he is local, fans will ALWAYS give him stick for not being the best footballer in the world.  Hopefully he will change some minds with a run of games due to injuries.  As long as Morgan is still employed by the club then Tom will never be our worst midfield option. A crucial mistake made by previous managers and our current one.

The last two managers have him twice as many minutes as Silva has. Koeman was lucky with injuries forcing him to pick him but Alladyce recognised his ability. Silva has been an absolute joke, 3% of minutes played until the 4 defeats and then claims he's the reason why Davies is doing well. If that was the case he'd be starting already. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

He has been playing well for England for quite a while now and receiving good reviews, he plays a different role in the MF than for us, for England he plays more of a holding role and bringing the ball out from the back, more in kin to what Schneiderlin use to be good at. 

6 hours ago, London Blue said:

But not good, or consistent first team coaching.

Not good? He had the current Belgium and Holland managers coaching him in that time. Inconsistent I’ll give you, but not good? I think that’s a stretch, you can take into account that things didn’t work out for both of them at Everton, but not good coaches, no chance. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

Not good? He had the current Belgium and Holland managers coaching him in that time. Inconsistent I’ll give you, but not good? I think that’s a stretch, you can take into account that things didn’t work out for both of them at Everton, but not good coaches, no chance. 

Spot on.

12 hours ago, StevO said:

I ment fat Sam.