IGNORED

Tom Davies

It's a shame we're having to talk about this because he's played well recently, and as a team we were doing well yesterday - nice and compact, organised and stopping Leicester while still being a threat ourselves. But his mistakes cost us the game really, so it is what it is. 

He'll know it himself so hopefully he doesn't let it get him down and he follows what he does if he misplaces a pass - he goes again and makes himself available for the next pass.

He cocked up for the goals and had a very poor last half hour. But I actually thought for an hour he and Sigurdsson did a brilliant job implementing a plan which naturally neither of them are particularly well suited to, they gave no one in Leicester's midfield any space to play at all. The turning point was Iheanacho coming on, him being prepared to drop off the back three and run with the ball caused chaos in our two defensive lines and it took us a while to react. You have to say great tactical awareness from Rodgers. 

Davies has to take this on the chin and get his head right for the derby. We can't afford him taking a backward step in performances with our injury situation, so it might be a good idea if Everton fans got behind one of our own for once. 

26 minutes ago, Bill said:

I've said in the Gomes thread how there was much love has been thrown at him but a couple of poor games and the knives come out. Same with Tom Davies he has been voted motm on the thread in this forum 4 out of the last five games, but one poor game and the same people want to crucify him. We Are Everton and that's what we do.

A few people on this thread need to look at themselves, we need to try supporting our players not tearing them to bits after a couple of mistakes.

This sums it up well for me.

13 hours ago, pete0 said:

Didn't watch the match but from the comments on here today I expected Davies' faults to be much worse. Sigurdssen just as much for fault but no one has mentioned him. 

First one Davies presses, like an idiot who used to play for us, but there should be another midfielder in the centre to the point I'd say Sigurdssen is just as much to blame for not being in position, and Iwobi(?) a little bit for losing his man. Funny thing is I've seen Gana press much more stupidly and defended for it by those lambasting Davies. 

Second one Sigurdssen makes the run too early. Given how we play to the wings and mostly safe plus Sigurdssen not being the fastest you'd expect him to want it to feet and not make that run. 

Siggy makes the run too early? The ball should have never have gone to Siggy. He was too close and thats why he was making the run. At the very least Davies could have at least played it into a position he could get a foot to it and not a yard behind him. 

As well as Davies has done he was absolutely nowhere all game when they took him on.

I’ve still gone for Davies in my team against Liverpool he will be up for it more than most, a local lad he knows what it means more than most. 
Plus there’s not any better options in Schneiderlin or Delph in my opinion, but maybe Delph for Gylfi if fit enough. 

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Sadly I have to agree with this, had high hopes for him when he first broke through but if anything he has gone backwards since

Very sad to see.  He almost looks like he's aged into a 32 year old midfielder.

Sell him and hopefully a championship team of decent enough quality will give him a good home.

His intentions as a player are good, he just isn't mobile enough or strong enough.  The odd game gives you hope but you seen a 19 year old float around the pitch yesterday, snapping into tackles and making himself availed for passes and moving it forward. 

14 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Sadly I have to agree with this, had high hopes for him when he first broke through but if anything he has gone backwards since

I've said for a long time that he does absolutely nothing well. There is literally nothing to his game at all.

It saddens me because I want lads coming through the academy to make it here but he's not cut out for it.

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Very sad to see.  He almost looks like he's aged into a 32 year old midfielder.

Sell him and hopefully a championship team of decent enough quality will give him a good home.

His intentions as a player are good, he just isn't mobile enough or strong enough.  The odd game gives you hope but you seen a 19 year old float around the pitch yesterday, snapping into tackles and making himself availed for passes and moving it forward. 

It's a bit like the schoolyard, back alley, free spirited footballer has been coached out of him. Not that it would make a difference to him!

He lacks true pace hasn’t got a very good engine on him, against Chelsea he was letting his man go more because he couldn’t keep up with the pace when he passed him, which and I did mention it in game time, he left Sidibe trying to cover 2 men and he struggles with 1. 
If you lack pace you need to be a good reader of the game and be in the right position at the right time, if you recorded it take a look and you might see what I mean. 

59 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Been managed by 6 managers in one club and he's not even 22. 

Haf, I really don’t think he’s ever been good enough. Whether we’d had 1 manager or 6 over that period of time wouldn’t make any difference to that in my opinion.

Ive watched him closely to see why some of our fans rate him and, other than putting effort in and not hiding (the minimum we expect), I haven’t seen anything in him. What I have seen is that he’s a poor passer of the ball, is slow in his decision making, slow in general, weak on the ball, doesn’t have a clue positionally, can’t shoot, isn’t a good tackler...

I just don’t get it!

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Haf, I really don’t think he’s ever been good enough. Whether we’d had 1 manager or 6 over that period of time wouldn’t make any difference to that in my opinion.

Ive watched him closely to see why some of our fans rate him and, other than putting effort in and not hiding (the minimum we expect), I haven’t seen anything in him. What I have seen is that he’s a poor passer of the ball, is slow in his decision making, slow in general, weak on the ball, doesn’t have a clue positionally, can’t shoot, isn’t a good tackler...

I just don’t get it!

I don't think he's good enough.  He was at his best when he first came in...  he is slow, unbalanced.

Pity cos I wish the others who need to go at least had his attitude. 

Only caught the last 10 mins of the three games so just watched the highlights on the OS to see what the fuss is about. Can't see from the highlights why he's getting blamed? 

The tactics/formation killed us. The midfield is overrun and the defence is sitting too far back giving them too much space and an extra man to play in it. All we had to do to stop most their chances was to step up closer. 

From the moments I've watched Sidibe, Keane, Holgate and Sigurdssen all had worse stinkers. Gomes didn't do any better than Davies from what I saw either. 

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

What do you like about him out of interest? 

i don't think he's a DM first of all, he's more similar to Gomes.  I like him more advanced not sat so far back.  I think on his day he transitions the ball well into attack and offers something in the final third.  i think defensively on his day he can really stick his foot in and make some tackles and add some grit.  he's slow, but so was barry, he just needs to improve his vision and understanding of the game which will come with time.  i think he also has passion, he gives a fuck which is something we need.  he's not going to back down to anyone.  we need that fire and steel.

i would put him where Gomes is during Cup matches or for rotation.  i would not have him be the DM like he has been.  

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

What do you like about him out of interest? 

His hair looks cool as fuck, and with his socks down low too, that’s just cool! If he started wearing an old fashioned pair of Tiempo’s or World Cups, I’d be done!

I wish he was a bit more aggressive though. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

i don't think he's a DM first of all, he's more similar to Gomes.  I like him more advanced not sat so far back.  I think on his day he transitions the ball well into attack and offers something in the final third.  i think defensively on his day he can really stick his foot in and make some tackles and add some grit.  he's slow, but so was barry, he just needs to improve his vision and understanding of the game which will come with time.  i think he also has passion, he gives a fuck which is something we need.  he's not going to back down to anyone.  we need that fire and steel.

i would put him where Gomes is during Cup matches or for rotation.  i would not have him be the DM like he has been.  

He’s not been DM. He’s just been playing the same role as Gomes, they just have different skill sets. The rest, I neither agree nor disagree, because I’m not sure what Toms best attributes are yet to be honest. When he first came on the scene he could break forward from deep, I don’t see that anymore and it’s disappointing. He played with no fear, but I think he has fear now. 

23 minutes ago, StevO said:

He’s not been DM. He’s just been playing the same role as Gomes, they just have different skill sets. The rest, I neither agree nor disagree, because I’m not sure what Toms best attributes are yet to be honest. When he first came on the scene he could break forward from deep, I don’t see that anymore and it’s disappointing. He played with no fear, but I think he has fear now. 

Good post, he needs a defined role and time with Carlo and his team to develop. Give him next season competing for a place in a settled and please God a successful team then we will know where he is at.

On 11/03/2020 at 04:04, markjazzbassist said:

I’ve said from the moment we signed Gomes that Davis needs to shadow him. He lacks mobility but he is strong on the ball and can dribble. Either Davies and Gomes need to be paired with someone with real energy and puts a foot in but actually wins the ball. We had some one pretty similar to that last season. Hopes for Gbamin still. 

Davies probably needs to be in a midfield 3 to start off as well as he can’t control a midfield like Gomes yet...

12 hours ago, Btay said:

I’ve said from the moment we signed Gomes that Davis needs to shadow him. He lacks mobility but he is strong on the ball and can dribble. Either Davies and Gomes need to be paired with someone with real energy and puts a foot in but actually wins the ball. We had some one pretty similar to that last season. Hopes for Gbamin still. 

Davies probably needs to be in a midfield 3 to start off as well as he can’t control a midfield like Gomes yet...

At the very least Davies needs to go out on loan for a season and figure himself out, what his position actually is. I don't believe he can do it while he's here.

On 10/03/2020 at 17:34, markjazzbassist said:

I don't disagree with some of that. Certainly as StevO says below, that breaking forward and playing the ball forward is one of his better attributes but at the same time, it's not hard to coach into players. I think he should be the guy that breaks forward and into the box or edge of it but then again when he gets there he is hardly a good finisher and of it breaks down is doesn't have the legs to get back. That is why he is difficult to place because a complete profile for any one position.

On 10/03/2020 at 20:06, StevO said:

Definitely agree with the last bit. Part of that is because you can't do that in a 2 man midfield now, but also as one of the two sitting players in a 3 man midfield, you still have the same problems. I'd play him as the 3rd man floating around in midfield, dropping in when the team needs it and then having the freedom to break forward and make clever supporting runs when we have the ball.

17 hours ago, Btay said:

I think he is weak as piss. When we did have Gana, the two of them didn't play that well together because neither of them had the positional play. 

He can dribble and he can turn on the ball but he doesn't really get away from players because strong players can hold onto him and slow him down before getting back in and quick players will catch him up. 

He is a bit of a conundrum.

On 12/03/2020 at 19:22, Romey 1878 said:

At the very least Davies needs to go out on loan for a season and figure himself out, what his position actually is. I don't believe he can do it while he's here.

Agree about the position, through no real fault of his own. 
Koeman tried him at RB for a period in a pre season. Silva had him further forward and he’s even found himself out wide. 

He is at his best with late runs forward and trying to get behind the defensive line. Needs to sharpen up some of his 2 touch football, pass, move, receive and pass type football. 

A promoted team should be trying snap him up on loan.