IGNORED

Tom Davies

A young player who has had 4 sets of coaches in his short career with us, all who wanted different things. It must have been hard for him and the other young players at Everton.

I dread to think what Sam and his band of misfits tried to coach the youngsters😱 I'm not overly convinced that Koeman is a great coach either.

At least now we are seeing the talents of Tom and Mason being given a chance to develop and shine.

He was the only one doing anything in the middle.  Gylfi was too high up and had defenders marking him.  Morgan too far away from the action.  Tom dictated play and was intercepting and pressing.  He looked like Gomes today.  Morgan and gylfi don’t suit him.  I’d put Beni as the holder and have Davies and Bernard the 2 acm inverted triangle ala Barca 433

Just now, markjazzbassist said:

He was the only one doing anything in the middle.  Gylfi was too high up and had defenders marking him.  Morgan too far away from the action.  Tom dictated play and was intercepting and pressing.  He looked like Gomes today.  Morgan and gylfi don’t suit him.  I’d put Beni as the holder and have Davies and Bernard the 2 acm inverted triangle ala Barca 433

He dictated play when Schneiderlin was alongside him, but when he went off he had no control whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

But that's the madness of playing Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin in the same side. One plays too high, the other too deep. We've been conceding the middle of the park doing that for two years

2 minutes ago, nogs said:

But that's the madness of playing Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin in the same side. One plays too high, the other too deep. We've been conceding the middle of the park doing that for two years

Schneiderlin played more or less alongside Davies today. There wasn't much in it at all. I agree with you about the problems with Sigurdsson and the general use of a number 10 but Iwobi played a similar way against West Ham and no-one complained about his positioning then. We controlled the middle of the pitch from a defensive point of view, we just didnt play through it from an attacking point of view.

The problem with Sigurdsson is the quality of his movement in those packed defences. In my opinion his presence crowds the striker and instead of creating space, he reduces it and then you are relying on City level of intricate build up play to break through which with our lot just isn't going to happen. Sometimes with Cenk and DCL their best link up play is when they take a poor first touch.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Schneiderlin played more or less alongside Davies today. There wasn't much in it at all. I agree with you about the problems with Sigurdsson and the general use of a number 10 but Iwobi played a similar way against West Ham and no-one complained about his positioning then. We controlled the middle of the pitch from a defensive point of view, we just didnt play through it from an attacking point of view.

The problem with Sigurdsson is the quality of his movement in those packed defences. In my opinion his presence crowds the striker and instead of creating space, he reduces it and then you are relying on City level of intricate build up play to break through which with our lot just isn't going to happen. Sometimes with Cenk and DCL their best link up play is when they take a poor first touch.

It's a formula that didn't work under Koeman and doesn't work now. I agree with you on Sigurdsson's movement. I'd say Schneiderlin offers the same problem in a different area of the field. He just isn't dynamic enough or clever enough and gets found out time and time again. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

Correct, but people are acting like Davies did and that's just not the way it was.

First half he was quite good, getting the ball forward and playing some good passes, tracking back to win the ball.

Second half we fell apart and partnering with Siggy in midfield was a disaster. 

Cant blame him or some of the others who at least tried. He didnt have a great game by any stretch but I think the squad knew Silva was done as there was little fight from them. 

19 minutes ago, London Blue said:

First half he was quite good, getting the ball forward and playing some good passes, tracking back to win the ball.

Second half we fell apart and partnering with Siggy in midfield was a disaster. 

Cant blame him or some of the others who at least tried. He didnt have a great game by any stretch but I think the squad knew Silva was done as there was little fight from them. 

I don't think anyone was quite good in any half, and certainly not Tom Davies. In that half he got the ball on the edge of our penalty area, didn't have a clue what was around him, turned into a Norwich player and lost the ball. Meaning they were attacking our goal instantly. 

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't think anyone was quite good in any half, and certainly not Tom Davies. In that half he got the ball on the edge of our penalty area, didn't have a clue what was around him, turned into a Norwich player and lost the ball. Meaning they were attacking our goal instantly. 

I thought he was the best of an atrocious bunch. In the first half he was one of the only ones moving the ball forward but in the second half he got caught on the ball too many times but then again there wasn’t many options as most players went hiding. 

It’s not just Tom but if your in the midfield and especially against counter attacking teams you have to do the nasty side of the game. You need to take a yellow for the sake of a goal. We have no nasty side to us. That’s why I love Tim Cahill. He’s wasn’t a dirty player but he knew what to do in a situation like that 

2 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

It’s not just Tom but if your in the midfield and especially against counter attacking teams you have to do the nasty side of the game. You need to take a yellow for the sake of a goal. We have no nasty side to us. That’s why I love Tim Cahill. He’s wasn’t a dirty player but he knew what to do in a situation like that 

The ability to pass to a player with the same coloured shirt , stood less than two foot away from him , might also have helped 

47 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

TBF to the lad he has probably been the best of a bad bunch in the past few weeks but was fucking horrendous today

Must have had a 2% pass completion rate and both Leicester goals were down to him

First half he was good I thought. Second he was awful. 

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I thought his best spell was at half time , either side of that he was absolutely shite 

First half he was good, but then he ran out of energy as we got swamped in midfield. Iwobi and Siggy are not midfielders and Davies had to do allot of the defensive work. Should have been subbed around the 65 minute mark.

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

First half he was good, but then he ran out of energy as we got swamped in midfield. Iwobi and Siggy are not midfielders and Davies had to do allot of the defensive work. Should have been subbed around the 65 minute work.

Each to their own but I think he stunk the gaff out all game, his passing was abysmal for the entire match

The loss today is on him

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Each to their own but I think he stunk the gaff out all game, his passing was abysmal for the entire match

The loss today is on him

Yeah we lost today because of Tom......

His tensity and passing helped create the chance for Kean. Lets not forget his midfield partners were not midfielders so he had to cover allot of ground. Yes some of his passes didn't come off but they were attempts to move us forward.

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

Yeah we lost today because of Tom......

His tensity and passing helped create the chance for Kean. Lets not forget his midfield partners were not midfielders so he had to cover allot of ground. Yes some of his passes didn't come off but they were attempts to move us forward.

🤷🏻‍♂️ He was directly to blame for both goals . Like I said at the start he has been the best of a bad bunch lately but he has had an absolute mare today

Positionally I thought him and Siggy did a good job of keeping Leicester at bay for most of the game but they found it so easy to run past him or through him. He was so slow and weak. At least Siggy has the strength to hold people off. Siggy was even more aggressive than Davies which I didnt expect.

His passing was also terrible.

Didn't watch the match but from the comments on here today I expected Davies' faults to be much worse. Sigurdssen just as much for fault but no one has mentioned him. 

First one Davies presses, like an idiot who used to play for us, but there should be another midfielder in the centre to the point I'd say Sigurdssen is just as much to blame for not being in position, and Iwobi(?) a little bit for losing his man. Funny thing is I've seen Gana press much more stupidly and defended for it by those lambasting Davies. 

Second one Sigurdssen makes the run too early. Given how we play to the wings and mostly safe plus Sigurdssen not being the fastest you'd expect him to want it to feet and not make that run. 

6 hours ago, pete0 said:

Didn't watch the match but from the comments on here today I expected Davies' faults to be much worse. Sigurdssen just as much for fault but no one has mentioned him. 

First one Davies presses, like an idiot who used to play for us, but there should be another midfielder in the centre to the point I'd say Sigurdssen is just as much to blame for not being in position, and Iwobi(?) a little bit for losing his man. Funny thing is I've seen Gana press much more stupidly and defended for it by those lambasting Davies. 

Second one Sigurdssen makes the run too early. Given how we play to the wings and mostly safe plus Sigurdssen not being the fastest you'd expect him to want it to feet and not make that run. 

😂😂😂 you didn’t see it but it’s Sigurdsson’ fault !

Whilst he was a fault on the ball for both goals, theres more to it, he needed more support around him, he was stretched, and after about 70 mins looked knackered and should have been subbed. I don’t think either  Maddison or Tielemans had good games, but didn’t get caught like Tom, did they go missing or did we nullify their efforts?