IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

If we're going off his history at the club we'll fold when we need to push on. First season.... Champions league was there.... We folded like a pack of cards. Same in Europa last season and again in league cup this season.

you're right MC it has been an illuminating season. I think the FA cup will even further our scope of RM progress so to speak. If he can pull it off, i think it would show he doesn't bottle it (like he has so much this season) and just needs to learn and grow. I said at the begining of the season if we got europe or won a cup he gets another year from me.

now if we lost in the semis again or bottle the final and end up bottom half of the table, it would leave me to wonder where this Champions League he promised will come from.

Newt Gingrich - you give me too much credit my man! Of course it was a stupid thing to say, and I'll be the first to admit it. Remember:

1) Its not the first stupid thing I've ever said

2) Its not the last stupid thing I'll ever say

3) I actually enjoy eating crow in some deranged way :)

However, I love this club as much as the rest of you turkeys and my gut tells me Roberto is not the ideal Captain to steer this ship any longer. But whomever thinks I keep saying David Moyes is popping too many gummi bears - never mentioned him once - Moyes can go ride a tricycle naked in a potato field as far I'm concerned. I don't have the answer, but if they pay me a large sum I'll give you one. As far as finishing, I sure hope you're right on that one brother!

Hahaha...like your style. You crack me up (a good thing!!!)

I think Martinez is just like Everton, "a work in progress". Both have the potential to achieve great things. If we win the FA cup it could old be the start of a great period for us, just like under Kendall.

Absolutely. We talk about young players needing time to develop certain parts of their game. Most of this comes from experience of playing. But we forget about young managers. Because Martinez has been around for a good while, we forget he is only 42 and is still developing. Although he does need to show this development in the you know what areas!

I hope he's not one of these that needs sacking before he learns!!!

I think it's confirmed he's a one trick pony. Either a cup run or a league run but never both. Just like Wigan when he won the cup the league form was dire.

I just don't think he's a complete manager. Bad subs over and over again and never uses the last sub when he spunked 12.5m On niasse.

He's a championship manager at best. That he can fire a team up for such a great win at home in the cup in the middle of such a dire run of home league performances shows how limited and one-dimensiinal he is.

I actually felt sorry for him today , he was badly let down by the players

I think every Evertonian would have selected Besic,Mori and Barkley today but all 3 put in 2 out of 10 performances

You felt sorry for a manager who brought another centre half on at 2-0 down "at home"?

Besic was clearly unfit.

Are people still backing this charlatan? An absolute disgrace of a performance down to an inept manager!

To the end of the season, yes. And then we'll see where we are.

That was the strongest team we could have put out. And the way those players went about their business was a disgrace. They couldn't even pass the ball to each other when it mattered.

Martinez was annoyed at that.

As I said in the match day thread...this lot, including the manager, need to start ignoring all the hype about how good they are supposed to be and start doing the basics right...on a consistent basis. Not just for one game. Then go off boil. Then do it again. Then go off boil.

Those players today need to apologise to everyone in attendance at GP today. It's not the result (considering our poor record against Arsenal, the result isn't much of a surprise!) but the performance was so poor

Every league game is a cup final now...this lot need to be that up for it.

To the end of the season, yes. And then we'll see where we are.

That was the strongest team we could have put out. And the way those players went about their business was a disgrace. They couldn't even pass the ball to each other when it mattered.

Martinez was annoyed at that.

As I said in the match day thread...this lot, including the manager, need to start ignoring all the hype about how good they are supposed to be and start doing the basics right...on a consistent basis. Not just for one game. Then go off boil. Then do it again. Then go off boil.

Those players today need to apologise to everyone in attendance at GP today. It's not the result (considering our poor record against Arsenal, the result isn't much of a surprise!) but the performance was so poor

Every league game is a cup final now...this lot need to be that up for it.

Fair play to the rest but that was not our strongest team. Besic wasn't fit, Cleverley is not a starter, and McCarthy has been shit all year. he spunked 12.5m on niasse and won't play him, play him.

That lineup is classic Martinez one sided and easy to suss out.

Fair play to the rest but that was not our strongest team. Besic wasn't fit, Cleverley is not a starter, and McCarthy has been shit all year. he spunked 12.5m on niasse and won't play him, play him.

That lineup is classic Martinez one sided and easy to suss out.

Yeah...I said "strongest team we could have put out"...as in, out of those available.

Besic has been a machine in most of his games. It's so easy to use say afterwards 'oh, he wasn't fit'. Clearly he wasn't up to it today.

Before the game, I doubt many would have picked a different line up.

EDIT: Even you picked this exact starting 11 in your match day thread!!!

Edited by Newty82

Yeah...I said "strongest team we could have put out"...as in, out of those available.

Besic has been a machine in most of his games. It's so easy to use say afterwards 'oh, he wasn't fit'. Clearly he wasn't up to it today.

:rofl:

Owned.

First laugh I've had all day!

Yes I put the lineup id thought we'd see. I've posted many times before the lineup I would like with 1 sitter but we'll never see.

Listened to 606 and West Ham and Leicester fans coming on singing the praises of Ranieri and Bilic, and rightly so. Just made me feel so depressed - how the hell have we fallen behind Leicester and West Ham?? Because they have better managers than we do, that's why. And yes, the players were a disgrace today, all of them need to have a long, hard look at themselves, the wages they are paid by this club and whether they are happy as human beings making ludicrous amounts of coin for spunking up half-hearted, weak, effortless crap like that. If they had any decency they would donate their week's wages for charity out of shame.

But we need to be brutally honest here - Leicester and West Ham are where they are because one way or the other, the managers get them turning up week.in, week out and putting everything they have on the line to get a result. You could even go as far as say they are doing it because they want to perform for the manager, or for the fans, the shirt, whatever. We are where we are because we don't want it enough, and never was that more painfully obvious as today. Would our squad run through brick walls for Martinez, the fans, the shirt? No, not from what I can see, not even close. And that is why we need to get in a manager who can provide the leadership that Martinez just cannot.

Not a full "own" in my eyes. Everyone would have picked that lineup but we have no idea of the fitness levels of players and Besic was about 50% fit. Should never have been picked. If we could see it today surely the fitness coaches and Martinez could this week. Was a joke of a selection!

Well after I was lambasted the other day for saying that I want Roberto out regardless of, well, pretty much anything, I still stand by that comment. I don't feel he is the future of this club, even with an FA trophy. Sorry, its what my gut is telling me. Yes, you can blame individual performances but at the end of the day the manager shoulders the responsibility, and playing well comes from within one's own self: confidence, inspiration, consistency.....basically everything that Roberto does not seem to convey to his players. Its a sad situation, I am really frustrated and just bewildered why we can't get it right. The lads are ultra talented, but we are an engine running at less than 50% capacity it seems. At the end of the day, the stats do the talking and we SUCK sheepsack.

I think he needs to go, I really do.

One more thought: Martinez cannot stop the purging of goals conceded. We applaud our attacking prowess but what good is it when you concede just as many? Its like a guy who runs 10 miles a day immediately gets in the house and eats an entire box of cookies, three jars of mayonnaise, a large pizza with triple cheese and bacon, and his wife's pie. A proper manager would continue this attacking ability, counter attacks, AND stop the porous defence. Wouldn't *that* be nice, eh? When that happens, then you will see EFC in the top 4 - I would bet large sums of bread on that. Who is that magic bloke? No fuckin idea, but its not Martinez or The Donald. But somebody better find him.

We have a team full of perspnalitusloke our fans.

The kind that go to work and feel the manager is responsible for everything.

Not willing to stand up and take responsibility for themselves.

I played at a much higher level where each player had to take an amount of blame for thier own actions. These days they don't need to, the manager us the be all and end all.

Yes the manager needs to step up, but aren't many of these the same players that played against Chelsea last week? Why do they're telling how to put effort in?

We have a team full of perspnalitusloke our fans.

The kind that go to work and feel the manager is responsible for everything.

Not willing to stand up and take responsibility for themselves.

I played at a much higher level where each player had to take an amount of blame for thier own actions. These days they don't need to, the manager us the be all and end all.

Yes the manager needs to step up, but aren't many of these the same players that played against Chelsea last week? Why do they're telling how to put effort in?

You're acting like the players aren't getting blamed at all, which simply isn't true. As far as I can see the manager and players have been getting the blame for yesterday, I know I certainly blamed both.

But seeing as this is the thread about Martinez I'd expect the comments in here to be about him.

And, I have no idea what parts of your post even say! :unsure:

Edited by Romey 1878

Where I am with Martinez now is that I'm thinking to myself...if it was me, I'd be going back to that first season in charge, looking at how good it was and asking the players who have been around in both eras (Howard, Jags, Coleman, Baines, Ossie, Pienaar, Gibson, not Barkley or Stones...Too young!)...what have I done that has changed us from that first season? What part of my 'philosophy' has caused an issue? At the end of the day, this is pretty much the same set of players that he had back then.

I'm frustrated with Martinez. Really frustrated. Because I believe he has the ability...but we are seeing and saying the same things over and over.

We've seen this team deliver some exceptional performances this season. Which gives you hope. But then we see the same mistakes time and again. And I've always said that it is important to me that we see some evolution...well we are in terms of attacking play, buy we aren't in terms of defensive play. And we aren't in terms of playing at home. And, as it stands, we aren't in terms of getting the points that our play deserves. There's only so many times in a season you can call a ref's decision, a linesman's decision, an injury, a bit of bad luck...it wears thin.

Martinez needs to evolve himself. The potential is there, no doubt. But he needs to start showing that he, we, are learning from these games. Not just for 1 or 2 games at a time, but consistently.

As for the players, well, I start wondering if they really are the top 4 quality that they keep going on about. And I wonder if they are believing too much in the hype. But that's another story.

I'm not interested in scoring personal points with anyone over Martinez. If he proves not to be good enough, then so be it. He gets sacked. Whatever is best for the club comes well above my personal opinions.

As I've said all along, we'll see at the end of the season. It could still end up being a good season just as much as it could end up being a poor season. I still find that quite bizarre to be honest, quite a unique situation that I can't remember feeling before with Everton!!!