IGNORED

Martinez - Direction?

MC11

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-dont-weakness-defending-crosses-11007491

Apparently Bobby doesn't think we have a problem defending crosses!

This is why people have lost faith in him. People wouldn't be as upset, if he said something like "we got hit hard by not defending the crosses properly, we'll reassess the coaching around this and hopefully stop it."

But it's naive. Really really naive and massively frustrating.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-roberto-martinez-must-beware-11008682

Why Everton's Roberto Martinez must beware the looming spectre of Mike Walker

The role of worst manager in Everton's history is unchallenged.

By almost universal consensus Mike Walker holds that unfortunate tag.

His managerial reign was so ignominious it lasted barely 11 months. And even that was very close to being two months too long, with Everton needing one great escape four months after he took over, and then another, three months after the worst start to a season in the club's history.

Everton will not need a great escape this season because Roberto Martinez is an infinitely more convincing manager than Walker. But worryingly there are parallels.

Mike Walker earned the Everton job by coaching an unfashionable club to a handsome win at Goodison Park, then pulling off a spectacularly unexpected victory in a major cup tie. His cavalier Norwich team demolished Everton 5-1 in front of their own supporters, three weeks before they became the first English team to defeat Bayern Munich in the Olympic Stadium.

Fast forward a couple of decades and Roberto Martinez led Wigan Athletic to a 3-0 win in an FA Cup tie at a shell-shocked Goodison, then outwitted Manchester City in the final.It was enough to earn him the prestigious Everton job. Martinez, of course, also guided Everton to a fifth place finish in his debut season as Blues boss, with a record Premier League points haul. But Mike Walker also guided Norwich City to third place in the inaugural Premier League season, with a points haul The Canaries have never come near since in top flight football. (That Norwich team also conceded a staggering 65 goals in 42 matches. Everton are two-thirds of the way to that unseemly total with 10 games to go).

So far, so similar.

But it's both men's refusal to budge from their footballing philosophies which is most disturbing. Walker had a vision which he refused to budge from. He picked teams which were easy on the eye and attractive to watch, but didn't defend. His first league match as Everton manager saw Swindon demolished 6-2. But until Swindon striker Andy Mutch was sent off it was a game which could easily have swung either way. Resilient, disciplined individuals like Joe Parkinson, John Ebbrell and Andy Hinchcliffe were abandoned in favour of the more elegant talents of Vinny Samways, Anders Limpar and Iain Durrant throughout his reign. And even when he had the opportunity to bring in new talent, he insisted on adding even more style than substance, enlisting Daniel Amokachi from FC Bruges and trying to sign misfit Brazilian, Muller. But not once did he receive calls for his head from the terraces.

Evertonians desperately, dearly wanted him to succeed – much as most craved to win the football pools. Each had about the same chances of success. And Mike Walker's refusal to change cost him his job. He left bemoaning that his team had 'turned the corner' after the streakiest of 1-0 wins over West Ham and a dire 0-0 draw at Norwich.

Everton are nowhere near that level now.

But 12 place with only four league wins from 14 home games all season is simply unacceptable for Everton Football Club. Roberto Martinez insists that Everton aren't far away from a turnaround in fortunes. “We are very close,” he said after Saturday's defeat. “Do we do things right enough? The away form tells us that we do.”

Everton's away form has, indeed, been impressive.

The least number of defeats since 1911 points to a team capable of much, much more. But that is countered by a thoroughly wretched run of home defeats – and a failure to accept responsibility for those failings. When Everton founder, as they have done frequently this season, it's usually someone else's fault .

At Stamford Bridge it was a linesman, in the Capital One Cup at Manchester City it was the referee, against Stoke it was Mark Clattenburg's fault for awarding a last minute penalty, the referee bore the brunt again on Saturday for dismissing Kevin Mirallas.

There was even a suggestion that Romelu Lukaku's missed penalty was a turning point, even though replays showed the penalty shouldn't have been awarded in the first place. It was a refusal to accept the blindingly obvious which cost Mike Walker his job in 1995.

A different manager came in, took over the same squad of players, and immediately won three games in a row against opposition as formidable as Liverpool, Leeds and Chelsea. Joe Royle also delivered the last piece of silverware to adorn an Everton trophy cabinet. The only problem he had to worry about was the fashion police querying the style of his football teams. He even turned that criticism into a positive by celebrating his 'Dogs of War' – and planting a psychological seed whenever anyone lined up to face his side.

West Brom boss Tony Pulis has had to endure those brickbats, too. But he has also turned it into a positive. His West Brom side climbed a point clear of Everton in the Premier League table on Saturday . Only a point. And Everton do have a game in hand and a superior goal difference. But the change was significant.

West Brom are managed by Tony Pulis. Everton are managed by Roberto Martinez. One is the champion of pragmatic football, the other an advocate of the beautiful game. Yet both have a remarkably similar record. Martinez's results in the Premier League at Wigan and Everton are almost identical to those achieved by Pulis with Stoke, Crystal Palace and West Brom. Martinez has 80 wins, 74 draws and 102 defeats from his 256 matches, while Pulis has racked up 84 wins, 74 draws and 102 defeats in his 263 matches. In fact, Pulis has won a higher percentage of his matches (31.9%) than Martínez (31.2%).

A refusal to yield from 'footballing' principles appears to be offering no greater likelihood of success. Sure, no-one wants to watch a team play pragmatic football, and playing percentages is not going to get the Gwladys Street signing about the School of Science. But equally no-one likes watching their team lose home matches to Manchester City, Manchester United, Leicester, Stoke, Swansea, West Brom and West Ham. Even the hapless Walker only managed to lose six home matches in his 11 months in charge. But there's one more similarity which Martinez should be concerned about. A change of club ownership saw Mike Walker replaced as Everton manager.

The Moores family were the majority shareholders who oversaw Walker's appointment, Peter Johnson was the chairman who sacked him. Everton are about to enter a new era with a new major shareholder. And new owners want quick returns.

We are told Farhad Moshiri will be at Goodison Park on Saturday – and a visit to Wembley for an FA cup semi-final from his very first match is a surefire way to win friends and influence people. But the only way to win more friends and influence more people is to win more matches – and Everton simply aren't doing that often or effectively enough. Evertonians desperately want Roberto Martinez to succeed.

An increasingly growing number have lost faith in him doing just that.

He won't go down as the worst manager in Everton's history. But like the man who is, his refusal to change may cost him dear.

Edited by Lowensda

In short Martinez is a stubborn fool.

He reminds me of warren beattie in his portrayal of bugsy siegel, built a hotel and was far too pedantic, trusted the wrong people and in the end got whacked because he was too stubborn to change the little things that cost him big. In the end Vegas became big after the right people but his vision back on track.

I felt the last six games we'd found a really consistent level of performance in different competitions, keeping very good clean sheets."

Then why change it to three at the back?

"On Saturday, to be so good for 78 minutes, half of which was with 10 men, and then concede three goals in 12 minutes, it makes no sense."

RM with his usual excuses, we won for 78 minutes. Someone needs to sit him down and explain how you score points in a football league. It's beyond a joke how ignorant this man is.

Edited by pete0

The point is though for 78 minutes we were good and they weren't really hurting us. The defense was Good! Be it us defending from midfield or from defense.

We lost because we didn't have the stomach for a fight and because we didn't win our duels.

Is this because the manager has trained it out of them or because individually they lost thier duels?

Personally I think as characters, they weren't strong enough. Jags should he stronger in the air. Mori is capable of defending those headers. And Joel should be braver and dive at the ball.

The point is though for 78 minutes we were good and they weren't really hurting us. The defense was Good! Be it us defending from midfield or from defense.

We lost because we didn't have the stomach for a fight and because we didn't win our duels.

Is this because the manager has trained it out of them or because individually they lost thier duels?

Personally I think as characters, they weren't strong enough. Jags should he stronger in the air. Mori is capable of defending those headers. And Joel should be braver and dive at the ball.

The point is that games don't last 78 minutes, you have to play the full game. You don't get three points for winning most of the game, you get them for winning it all.

The point is that games don't last 78 minutes, you have to play the full game. You don't get three points for winning most of the game, you get them for winning it all.

That's exactly my point.

You don't play well for 78 minutes then stop because the manager told you to.

You need to grow some balls and stand up for yourselves..not just roll over.

That's exactly my point.

You don't play well for 78 minutes then stop because the manager told you to.

You need to grow some balls and stand up for yourselves..not just roll over.

But that attitude comes from the top. Martinez hasn't got it.

Martinez clearly managed to ensure that all of the players were 'up for it' tonight, and fair enough they already ought to be in a cup QF, but to have such a difference in attitude and application between games is frustrating.

Happens with all teams, but just seems more pronounced with us.

The high pressing tonight was great to see.

Judge at the end of the season.

Need some real consistency for the final 10 league games. We are bottom of a very tight group.

This season has the potential to be seen as a 'fairly good' one just as much as it can end up being a 'fairly shit' one.

It's a strange one.

Judge at the end of the season.

Need some real consistency for the final 10 league games. We are bottom of a very tight group.

This season has the potential to be seen as a 'fairly good' one just as much as it can end up being a 'fairly shit' one.

It's a strange one.

Has the potential to be a brilliant one if we win the cup, big step up from "fairly good".

If we played like that 80% of the time we would be in the top four easy this season. We play high tempo football with the right decision making at the back we are amongst the best teams in the prem. players need to be bollocked now and then and know they've had a bollocking. I just don't see that from Martinez. Do players go into a war for him? That's what I want. Bilic in hindsight would have been ideal for me. Right now if he wins the cup I'd still be 50/50. I'd be looking forward to next season knowing our management team was de boer, bergkamp and stam. Can u imagine that? How could any player not improve under them?

If we played like that 80% of the time we would be in the top four easy this season. We play high tempo football with the right decision making at the back we are amongst the best teams in the prem. players need to be bollocked now and then and know they've had a bollocking. I just don't see that from Martinez. Do players go into a war for him? That's what I want. Bilic in hindsight would have been ideal for me. Right now if he wins the cup I'd still be 50/50. I'd be looking forward to next season knowing our management team was de boer, bergkamp and stam. Can u imagine that? How could any player not improve under them?

This. I want to win the cup, I don't want Martinez in charge next season. There's no point looking like a top class football team half the time. The way he raises the team for cup games (beating Man City and Chelsea at home) begs more questions than it answers (winning four league games at home in year)'