IGNORED

New investment (finally)!

Louis

He also took a lot of the TV money with him. He had the right to do it, mind, but I bet Everton fans would be pissed if he did the same here. This guy was also said to be one of the greediest CEO's in USA by Forbes. And of course the new stadium was paid with public money - something that is not going to happen with Everton.

Him taking some of the TV money was part of the sale of the team and agreed upon between him and the new ownership group. A quote from Bud Selig (MLB commissioner), relating to why this was different from the Dodgers' owner attempting to take TV money while he was still running the team, sums this up well enough:

"The San Diego thing was different. John Moores was going. A new group was coming in, with beautiful credentials. They found, in their projections, they could live with what had been done. And so they and John Moores worked that out.

They knew what part of the sale price was. They felt that, even with that lack of television money, they could run a very good operation. They were themselves very well-financed. With what John Moores took out because he thought it was part of the sales price they feel there's enough other television revenue and enough other income that they can live with it."

So, it was part of the terms of sale. The commissioner agreed with it, as it was agreed upon between the two parties. He left the club in such a strong position financially that they were still happy to buy, with that as part of the deal. So, big whoopie!

Man...I'm so unsure about non-footballing Americans coming in. The record so far is poor.

Kroenke at Arsenal is totally different as he hasn't bought the club outright nor does he own the club. He has been steadily snapping up shares for about a decade or so. I think he's the majority shareholder but the ownership at Arsenal is quite unique.

Plus this bloke who is sniffing around is 72 year old or something!

I dunno. Totally mixed up about it. There's been so many shit takeovers in recent years. Worries the knickers right off me.

Lerner had a go, but was unlucky that he fell for MONS reputation. Since then the Prem has grown too rich to compete at the top and he has tried to manage his losses and sell. Villa are now relegation bound.

Glazers mounted the club with debt and basically got the club for free. Without Uniteds huge revenue streams this type of takeover would kill most clubs.

Liverpool were saved from one disastrous takeover, and currently have Jordan Henderson as captain.

Has there been many successful takeovers from the US?

This. As a mate at work said today, super-rich Russians and Arabs, yes. Yanks destroy football clubs.

I don't get why everyone blames 0'Neil for the mess Villa are in, though. Lerner ran out of patience, pure and simple. A bit like Leeds under Ridsdale, it was Champions League or bust - if he'd kept that squad together, with a different manager, they could still be right up there. Instead he flogged the crown jewels coz he couldn't be arsed anymore - even youngsters like Albrighton going on a free ffs, he's been great at Leicester this year!

It's a torrid, torrid story what has gone on at Villa. I'm very wary of this.

Edited by nogs

I think he's going to be good. I don't think it is a bad thing that in 18 years he increased the value of the team 10x. Ultimately, it's a business. (Of course, if he owns Everton for 18 years, he'll be 90 years old!)

I don't think it has been mentioned, but he wants an MLS club in San Diego and it could be a feeder side to Everton. San Diego borders Mexico, which is an advantage for Mexican talent as well. Southern California has long been a hot bed for American soccer and I think that bodes well for Everton as well.

Additionally, baseball, especially over the last 15 years or so, has required, with the exception of Europe, international scouting. If he's got people that know how to set up scouting networks in South and Latin American and Asia (or at least understands how important those regions can be key to winning), I think that's helpful as well. (Not saying Everton doesn't already have them; they sure did a good job in finding Funes Mori!)

And I've said it before, but soccer is ready to explode in the US. I wear Everton gear in Washington, DC and every time I do, someone mentions it to me. On Saturday afternoon, the lady in the beer shop mentioned my Everton sweatshirt. She was a Man United fan. Of course anecdote doesn't equal data, but NBC's ratings for EPL matches have been very solid and have grown over the past 3 years.

This. As a mate at work said today, super-rich Russians and Arabs, yes. Yanks destroy football clubs.

I don't get why everyone blames 0'Neil for the mess Villa are in, though. Lerner ran out of patience, pure and simple. A bit like Leeds under Ridsdale, it was Champions League or bust - if he'd kept that squad together, with a different manager, they could still be right up there. Instead he flogged the crown jewels coz he couldn't be arsed anymore - even youngsters like Albrighton going on a free ffs, he's been great at Leicester this year!

It's a torrid, torrid story what has gone on at Villa. I'm very wary of this.

Everyone in the US hated Randy Lerner because he was a terrible owner in Cleveland. Randy Lerner is possibly the worst owner the NFL has ever had, and they've had some really bad ones. Everyone here hates the Glazers too. Their American football franchise hasn't been relevant in about 15 years. John Henry has been pretty good in Boston and I wouldn't say his Liverpool tenure has been a disaster, but it hasn't lived up to potential either.

Point being, bad owners in the US become bad owners in England.

Edited by Keithb18

Everyone in the US hated Randy Lerner because he was a terrible owner in Cleveland. Randy Lerner is possibly the worst owner the NFL has ever had, and they've had some really bad ones. Everyone here hates the Glazers too. Their American football franchise hasn't been relevant in about 15 years. John Henry has been pretty good in Boston and I wouldn't say his Liverpool tenure has been a disaster, but it hasn't lived up to potential either.

Point being, bad owners in the US become bad owners in England.

As a Cleveland Browns fan and native I must speak on this. Randy's father Al bought the team and was a fantastic owner. Passionate and a fan and they did well for being expansion team at the time. He died in 2002 and Randy took over. Randy didn't give a shit about American football (hence buying villa) and never went to the games instead being at villa games. He was a bad owner because he inherited a team he didn't want and then sold. In interviews he was very passionate about villa, I think he honestly gave it a good go there, but the context on Cleveland is needed.

As a Cleveland Browns fan and native I must speak on this. Randy's father Al bought the team and was a fantastic owner. Passionate and a fan and they did well for being expansion team at the time. He died in 2002 and Randy took over. Randy didn't give a shit about American football (hence buying villa) and never went to the games instead being at villa games. He was a bad owner because he inherited a team he didn't want and then sold. In interviews he was very passionate about villa, I think he honestly gave it a good go there, but the context on Cleveland is needed.

Mark, I'm legit sorry that you are a Browns fan. I feel for you. No luck, no talent. Just no hope.

I think he's going to be good. I don't think it is a bad thing that in 18 years he increased the value of the team 10x. Ultimately, it's a business. (Of course, if he owns Everton for 18 years, he'll be 90 years old!)

I don't think it has been mentioned, but he wants an MLS club in San Diego and it could be a feeder side to Everton. San Diego borders Mexico, which is an advantage for Mexican talent as well. Southern California has long been a hot bed for American soccer and I think that bodes well for Everton as well.

Additionally, baseball, especially over the last 15 years or so, has required, with the exception of Europe, international scouting. If he's got people that know how to set up scouting networks in South and Latin American and Asia (or at least understands how important those regions can be key to winning), I think that's helpful as well. (Not saying Everton doesn't already have them; they sure did a good job in finding Funes Mori!)

And I've said it before, but soccer is ready to explode in the US. I wear Everton gear in Washington, DC and every time I do, someone mentions it to me. On Saturday afternoon, the lady in the beer shop mentioned my Everton sweatshirt. She was a Man United fan. Of course anecdote doesn't equal data, but NBC's ratings for EPL matches have been very solid and have grown over the past 3 years.

Excellent point on the scouting! I forget about the Latin(and Asian) influence on baseball in the States.

As a Lions fan, I feel a great affinity with Browns fans. Mark, please know that I empathize with your plight to the fullest possible extent.

Lol to Keith and joe. Yes they are a shit show but have the best fans (like the lions) in the nfl who continually buy tickets and sell out games regardless of end product.

I will say owning a team in England and the US are very different and as already shown by joe and keith above really only Stan Kroenke is the only to successfully do both although St. Louis residents might disagree with me (LA residents are rejoicing as well as his accountant and bank account lol).

I think the nature of relegation and managing to stay up and play well but also create a profit largely alludes Americans. Most tank for a year or 2 and still collect large tv revenue and ticket receipts and then get back to winning. You don't have that luxury in England and I think that's why it's difficult. Too bad other wealthy Europeans don't want to buy us (German French Spanish etc) who know the system.

I wouldn't have gone that far myself , but I do agree that they have some right dickheads following them. You only have to think back to some of the Buffoonisms that came out, like " happy clapper" to realise what arrogant tits they are

I thought it was a pretty harmless phrase that accurately typified the apathy that has been destroying the club for years. Edited by Hafnia

I thought it was a pretty harmless phrase that accurately typified the apathy that has been destroying the club for years.

Actually derives from evangelical Christians who, "...sing and clap enthusiastically during acts of worship."

Pretty derogatory and infantile (not to mention plain wrong) to characterise people who don't shout "Kenwright Out!" at every opportunity as such.

We're not exactly worshipping the man.

Edit: Also (thinking about it) the polar opposite of apathetic so just about as inaccurate as it's possible to be.

If the guy is only worth 500m then I presume we'll be borrowing a shit load based on TV revenue to build a new stadium. If the consortium has more money to throw in fair enough.... But I just get the feeling we're going to get rolled at some point. Beef us up then cash out.

I guess my point is that after buying the club - how much is he going to be prepared to invest in it further?

I'm sure he won't be fitting the entire £200m personally but hopefully you get my point.

Hopefully they'll at least put more in than the current owners; both in terms of transfer funds and what they're willing to put in for a new stadium.

Tbh, I have much the same feeling about this as I did when we were looking for a new manager. I was happy to be shut of Moyes but was wary about Martinez being his replacement, and I'm desperate to be rid of our current owners but I'm wary about these American's being our new owners.

We're just going to have to hope it all works out in our favour.

Hopefully they'll at least put more in than the current owners; both in terms of transfer funds and what they're willing to put in for a new stadium.

Tbh, I have much the same feeling about this as I did when we were looking for a new manager. I was happy to be shut of Moyes but was wary about Martinez being his replacement, and I'm desperate to be rid of our current owners but I'm wary about these American's being our new owners.

You're sitting on the same proverbial fence as me.

But under our new owners we have broken our transfer record 5 or 6 times, we have finished in top 7 loads, and we could be owned by the venkys.

I guess my point is that after buying the club - how much is he going to be prepared to invest in it further?

I'm sure he won't be fitting the entire £200m personally but hopefully you get my point.

Probably will finance a significant portion of the acquisition with debt and then the equity (Cash) portion of the purchase will be split up amongst a consortium of investors.