IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

4 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He’s completely forgotten where he has come from. 

The hype has got to him. His whole persona has changed. There’s more of an arrogant swagger about him. He no longer works hard. Please please do not start this man again. 

Gordon, Gray and Richarlison must start with Ali as backup. 

Probably as disappointing as Keane. With Keane you expect him to just be like that in terms of poor defending and concentration.  

DCL honestly looks like he doesn’t give a crap and working for the team is beyond him. He should be ashamed.     His workrate is what set him aside from other players - not he just looks like a lower level striker. 

His form has been shit, and he's rightly been criticized over the last few weeks, but what a difference he made last night. His physicality surely rattled Burn. His first touch on the edge of the box might not have been perfect, but he held the ball up well and played a perfectly weighted pass to Iwobi.

Hopefully this can kick him on for the remainder of the season

9 minutes ago, Bailey said:

To be completely honest, I thought it was pretty basic stuff. 

He did alright though when he did come on. He chased everything down and did exactly what his manager would have wanted.

Sure, but for someone who's been so out of form and lacking confidence, I would've actually expected him to under/over hit that layoff to Iwobi

put more effort in than he did versus Spurs and it had an impact.  All this bollocks about him being a poacher - he's a top athlete who needs to make a nuisance of himself which he did well.  The goals are a bonus - we need him as a presence up front to hold up the ball, Ritchie likes to run off the shoulder and be played through

Just now, Matt said:

Forgive me, but out of form based on coming back from a series of long injuries? Or do people really think players walking back in after months out, into a squad that's on its knees morale-wise, should immediately be at peak performance?

nope but we dont expect him tom walk round like he did vs Spurs, that was unacceptable.  He made a difference last night and it was good to see.

47 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Sure, but for someone who's been so out of form and lacking confidence, I would've actually expected him to under/over hit that layoff to Iwobi

I dunno, its not like he hasnt kicked a football for months! 

He did what was expected of him IMO, nothing more, nothing less. 

2 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

His form has been shit, and he's rightly been criticized over the last few weeks, but what a difference he made last night. His physicality surely rattled Burn. His first touch on the edge of the box might not have been perfect, but he held the ball up well and played a perfectly weighted pass to Iwobi.

Hopefully this can kick him on for the remainder of the season

His rubbish first touch probably did us a favour because he more than likely would've ended up having a shot at goal otherwise, and I doubt he'd have been scoring from there.

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

I have only just realised that he is not in the England squad. Not unsurprising but it gives others a chance to get ahead of him in the pecking order. 

Great news. Hopefully he didn’t get a call off Southgate either…. Just a simple - not getting picked. Tammy Abraham a player who he seemed to be compared with is. 

it’s great because I think he loves being selected for England and it may be a fire under his backside. 

Since returning from injury he obviously hasn't looked great. Weather this is solely because of his fitness, or if the way Lampard is utilising him is a factor we've yet to see.

On the plus side, if there was anyone looking at buying him in the summer, at least his form could potentially fend them off for this upcoming window.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Since returning from injury he obviously hasn't looked great. Weather this is solely because of his fitness, or if the way Lampard is utilising him is a factor we've yet to see.

On the plus side, if there was anyone looking at buying him in the summer, at least his form could potentially fend them off for this upcoming window.

He is our most likely inflated priced player vs what he offers.  We will need to be very creative in our transfers and selling him at the best price is needed.

im pretty sure he was close to going to arsenal and wanted the move in jan.    Rumours are the club are looking at replacements etc. 

As a sole front man Richi is a pain and soaks up the pressure, he did so well against wolves and toon. However it nullifies his goal threat and ability to hurt the opposition.

When DCL plays that role he not only soaks up the pressure, he can win the physical battle against the likes of burn and create space for others.

He’s been injured and out of form but he has to start up front. Then Richi, Gordon and Gray behind for me.

Looking at all that footage taken on the sidelines I'm reminded how much I like DCL's sense of humour.  The look on his face when he runs over and copies Iwobi's gesture, and then the warmth on his face when he turns and congratulates him - proper human being.

I remember as well another time we played toon when one of the centre backs fronted him up after a tackle.  DCL didn't back away and made the ''errrr mate your breath stinks" gesture to the player.  Freakin hilarious that was.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I didn't think he was that bad today. He was one of a number of ok performers but I certainly wouldnt single him out.

I would single him out on the basis that he is a player we look to who can provide a physical threat to opposition back line…. A bit like Antonio does for them but he did nothing.  Very very lack lustre, I’d need to check but pretty sure he just let them play the ball out from the back unopposed before they won the free kick for the goal. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I didn't think he was that bad today. He was one of a number of ok performers but I certainly wouldnt single him out.

Ye strange they are picking him out. Held the ball up well, linked well and a couple of decent efforts. Nothing great… but a decent performance.