IGNORED

Steve Walsh (Director of football)

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Because most of their best days are behind them. 30 isn'tt old but it can show on a football field especially over a long season.

Those players you mentioned on the whole haven't proven themselves (bar Pickford). I hope they go and do it, but a lot of those players in the original list aren' going to improve so we have bought players who are on their last big contract and then the list you provided are players at the very start who need to prove themselves at this level.

Imo we need more players in between, albeit in suppose we tried with Klaasen and Keane. We just need to get better at it!

I think all the missing t’s from your posts are responsible for all the extra t’s everyone has been getting.

Lets see how all these are doing next season with hopefully a more balanced and settled squad- it’s been an absolute disaster of a season we just need to get to 40 points and write the lot off- tweek here and there bring more balance and harmony to the squad and start afresh next season and give everyone a clean slate. It’s unfair to critisise individuals when thhe whole thing has been a car crash from head to toe.

We’ve fucked up badly but rather than pointing fingers we need to pull together and sort ourselves out.

Because most of their best days are behind them. 30 isn'ttt old but it can show on a football field especially over a long season.

Those players you mentioned on the whole haven't proven themselves (bar Pickford). I hope they go and do it, but a lot of those players in the original list aren' going to improve so we have bought players who are on their last big contract and then the list you provided are players at the very start who need to prove themselves at this level.

Imo we need more players in between, albeit in suppose we tried with Klaasen and Keane. We just need to get better at it!

But most of them haven’t hit 30, in fact they haven’t even hit 29

They should be at their peek at 28/29 so can’t see how it’s an issue

Personally I think we needed players in that age bracket , phase out the players the wrong side of thirty with these lads and you get a good mix of youth and experience

3 hours ago, Paddock said:

Lets see how all these are doing next season with hopefully a more balanced and settled squad- it’s been an absolute disaster of a season we just need to get to 40 points and write the lot off- tweek here and there bring more balance and harmony to the squad and start afresh next season and give everyone a clean slate. It’s unfair to critisise individuals when thhe whole thing has been a car crash from head to toe.

We’ve fucked up badly but rather than pointing fingers we need to pull together and sort ourselves out.

this whole statement shows why pressure must be on Walsh, no harmony, not balanced, car crash, that's all on Walsh.  Head of recruitment.  

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

this whole statement shows why pressure must be on Walsh, no harmony, not balanced, car crash, that's all on Walsh.  Head of recruitment.  

We don’t actually know how much of a hand he’s played in transfers. He’s got that title but by all account he and Koeman didn’t see eye to eye - it’s all speculative whatever way you look at it.

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

We don’t actually know how much of a hand he’s played in transfers. He’s got that title but by all account he and Koeman didn’t see eye to eye - it’s all speculative whatever way you look at it.

he has said repeatedly in interviews he is in charge of recruitment.  the manager identifies where the team needs reinforcements and its Steve's job to get them.

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

he has said repeatedly in interviews he is in charge of recruitment.  the manager identifies where the team needs reinforcements and its Steve's job to get them.

I personally haven’t seen many of Walsh’s interviews so would like to if you can link any...

6 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I personally haven’t seen many of Walsh’s interviews so would like to if you can link any...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2017/02/06/walsh-reveals-key-qualities-to-signings

“When I came to the club, the first thing I asked Ronald was ‘how do you want to play?’ We then got a board out and looked at formations and the type of players that he likes because unless I know the blueprint for the type of players that Ronald wants, then we’d all be wasting our time.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2017/03/08/qa-with-steve-walsh

SW: We used this tactics board here, actually. I asked what systems did he believe in, what structures did he like to have, how did he like to set up his team and who are the key people in it?

Then you do a player audit and try to fit the people that you’ve already got into Ronald’s way of thinking, and then you decide on how we’re going to make ourselves better.

Ronald’s a manager with a plan B: ‘I’ll play direct when I need to play direct and I’ll play out when I need to play out.’ That’s a good strategy. So, very quickly, I felt that we sing from the same hymn sheet.

SW: Well, proper recruitment takes time. The time you spend after a window closes is a crucial time. That’s when you formulate your ideas. That’s when you have time to get out and watch players.

What scouting does is it minimises the risk. Until you actually go out there on the training pitch and see how they integrate with the people who you already have it’s an unknown quantity – and further to that, until they put on that blue shirt for real you’re never sure.

You try and have a shortlist for every position.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-news-transfers-live-blues-14043959

scroll down to the video of sam talking about recruitment.  

reporter" do you say to steve i need strengthen here and there and he comes up with a list of players"

sam "i think the answer to that is probably yes"

I'm not sure that happened this summer though MJB. Obviously I could be wrong, but Sigurdsson, Rooney, Keane, Pickford, Klaasen, Cuco, Sandro and Vlasic are not all Walsh players in my opinion.

It wouldnt surprise me if Siggy was due to his agent saying that he was available to Bill. Rooney was probably agreed by all, as was Pickford. Cuco and Klaasen more than likely Koeman favs with Sandro and Vlasic more likely to be Walsh spots. I am unsure about Keane, he was probably picked for his stats which suggests Walsh to me on reflection but it could be a mix of everyone.

What we do know his that Tosun is definitely a Walsh signing.

I imagine Walcott is another agent job.

13 hours ago, Bailey said:

I'm not sure that happened this summer though MJB. Obviously I could be wrong, but Sigurdsson, Rooney, Keane, Pickford, Klaasen, Cuco, Sandro and Vlasic are not all Walsh players in my opinion.

It wouldnt surprise me if Siggy was due to his agent saying that he was available to Bill. Rooney was probably agreed by all, as was Pickford. Cuco and Klaasen more than likely Koeman favs with Sandro and Vlasic more likely to be Walsh spots. I am unsure about Keane, he was probably picked for his stats which suggests Walsh to me on reflection but it could be a mix of everyone.

What we do know his that Tosun is definitely a Walsh signing.

I imagine Walcott is another agent job.

I think this 'walsh signing', 'manager signing', 'agent signing' and so on misses the point. It's a collective responsibility - the manager says the type of player he wants, Walsh finds them, the board agrees fees etc. You can't pin this or that signing on one or other person. Walsh obviously has a hand in them all, so they're all Walsh signings. And the manager will clearly have a certain influence for certain players - you can see the hand of Koeman in Martina and maybe Klaassen, and Allardyce clearly rates Walcott. 

The risk with the DoF model is that it creates a gap between what the manager wants, and the DoF's interpretation of that. I think we've fallen foul of that. At somewhere like Sevilla, it was clear that Monchi made the decisions on personnel, and then it was up to a coach to put the pieces together. I'm not sure a DoF works with a manager in the traditional English sense. You look at Moyes when he was here, well he managed the whole football side of things, including having a very firm grip on scouting and recruitment. Why would you need a DoF? 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-boss-sam-allardyce-reveals-14175945

Another indication that it’s Walsh pulling the strings

Of Lennon's future, Allardyce said: “I don't know. That lies in the hands of the chairman and Steve (Walsh) the director of football. They handle all that side of it, those negotiations if and when they go on.”

7 hours ago, nogs said:

I think this 'walsh signing', 'manager signing', 'agent signing' and so on misses the point. It's a collective responsibility - the manager says the type of player he wants, Walsh finds them, the board agrees fees etc. You can't pin this or that signing on one or other person. Walsh obviously has a hand in them all, so they're all Walsh signings. And the manager will clearly have a certain influence for certain players - you can see the hand of Koeman in Martina and maybe Klaassen, and Allardyce clearly rates Walcott. 

The risk with the DoF model is that it creates a gap between what the manager wants, and the DoF's interpretation of that. I think we've fallen foul of that. At somewhere like Sevilla, it was clear that Monchi made the decisions on personnel, and then it was up to a coach to put the pieces together. I'm not sure a DoF works with a manager in the traditional English sense. You look at Moyes when he was here, well he managed the whole football side of things, including having a very firm grip on scouting and recruitment. Why would you need a DoF? 

Bill himself says that he does some deals and Walsh does others so it is a case of this and that. Now how much of that is one person over another is very much up for debate. Why would you scout the likes of Walcott, Siggy, Rooney etc though? You know what they offer and it will be agents giving clubs the nod, like Barkley was for Chelsea.

I think the above is why it hasnt worked. Either Walsh controls the lot, including manager selection of he doesn't. Dont forget that Koeman was brought in before Walsh whereas now, Sam was brought in by Walsh. Bill made a point of saying that Walsh did the Tosun deal so maybe things are starting to change in that regard and Walsh is exercising more control, especially above the manager as shown by Dunc below.

7 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-boss-sam-allardyce-reveals-14175945

Another indication that it’s Walsh pulling the strings

Of Lennon's future, Allardyce said: “I don't know. That lies in the hands of the chairman and Steve (Walsh) the director of football. They handle all that side of it, those negotiations if and when they go on.”

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Bill himself says that he does some deals and Walsh does others so it is a case of this and that. Now how much of that is one person over another is very much up for debate. Why would you scout the likes of Walcott, Siggy, Rooney etc though? You know what they offer and it will be agents giving clubs the nod, like Barkley was for Chelsea.

I think the above is why it hasnt worked. Either Walsh controls the lot, including manager selection of he doesn't. Dont forget that Koeman was brought in before Walsh whereas now, Sam was brought in by Walsh. Bill made a point of saying that Walsh did the Tosun deal so maybe things are starting to change in that regard and Walsh is exercising more control, especially above the manager as shown by Dunc below.

I think we probably agree :) it's not just a case of scouting players to find out about their strengths and abilities etc. A lot of it is assessing how they'd fit in tactically, or even personality wise. That's where the collective decision making comes in, and if it has been a case of Bill signs one Walsh signs another, Id say that's its pretty likely that has contributed to our shit recent recruitment. You could say too many cooks or whatever, but the main point is about having a clear, coherent strategy about what happens on the pitch. I struggle to see ours over the past two years. 

5 minutes ago, StevO said:

I don’t see why Bill is still doing that while Steve is there, just undermines him. Let it go Bill. 

i don't get this.  bill isn'tt pointing out players and signing them on his own.  walsh identifies Cenk and Bill goes and negotiates.  why can't bill moshiri et all negotiate?  wouldn't if be better to leave walsh to recruitment?  he's not a negotiator, shouldn't the business people who negotiate deals all day do the negotiating?  

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

i don't get this.  bill isn'ttt pointing out players and signing them on his own.  walsh identifies Cenk and Bill goes and negotiates.  why can't bill moshiri et all negotiate?  wouldn't if be better to leave walsh to recruitment?  he's not a negotiator, shouldn't the business people who negotiate deals all day do the negotiating?  

Walsh identified Cenk and went and negotiated the deal, that's how a DoF role should work IMO. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Walsh identified Cenk and went and negotiated the deal, that's how a DoF role should work IMO. 

for me the DOF identifies and directs, he doesn't have to be the negotiator.  his talent is spotting talent, not making deals.  look at spurs, LEvy still did all the negotiating when they had leonardo, because he's the best at it.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think he will be gone by the summer

At the very least he will be moved aside for a proper DoF. 

I know City have greater power than us in the transfer market, but look at what' happened there. Sane gets injured and within a couple of days they have placed a bid for a proven replacement. 

We sold Lukaku in the summer and only brought in an unproven replacement in January.  We have been short of at least one FB since Coleman got injured and the only replacement we got was a proven to be shit Martina. Baines has been down for months now and as we approach the last days of the month, we still haven' got a replacement. Why haven't we put bids in for Chilwell, Bertrand etc? 

His first 18 months have not been brilliant, but that doesn't mean we need to burn the house down. The blame lies on Koeman, the players, Walsh, and the management for not having a more coherent management structure and assignment of responsibilities. 

You people are going to call for a different person's head each month over the next several months until our form improves when you will all declare us European contenders and a threat to the big six again.