IGNORED

Steve Walsh (Director of football)

13 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Walsh rejoined Leicester in 2011. They won the title in 2015-16.  

To me the real question is who (if anyone) do you blame for missing on Giroud? IMHO that is down to bad luck. Cannot blame Walsh...or Koeman for that matter. Giroud doesn't solve all of our problems but it certainly would have helped. The lack of a quality forward compounds other problems with the squad. My point is I'm not hanging Walsh out to dry yet. 

Since Walsh arrived:

IN: Gueye 7.1, Williams 9.0, Bolasie 22.5, DCL 1.5, Lookman 7.5, Schneiderlin 20, Klaassen 23.6, Onyekuru 6.8, Pickford 25, Keane 25, Sandro 5.2, Siggy 40, Rooney 0, Vlasic undis., Tosun 27

OUT: Stones 47.5, Gibson/Ovideo 7.5, Cleverley 8, Deulofeu 10.6, Rom 75, Barry 1, Barkley 15

The only complete disaster in that lot is Klaassen and I wonder if Koeman pushed that through. We'll get every penny back on Sandro. 

I'll end with this and let me be clear I'm sad I believe this, it's just the football world as we know it. I firmly believe we need to stop thinking of 25 million as a great player. In 2018 spending 25 million on a player, especially from outside the premier league, might as well be a punt. If we want top four we need to be spending 40+ on every midfield and forward signing. 

Has Keane been worth the money? Siggy? Williams was over 10 million, think it was 12. Schneiderlin had a good four months, 20 million for that is a bit steep.

The main issue however isn'tt to look at signings player-by-player but as a whole. What's the vision? If all the signings have been good then how are we so shite?

6 hours ago, Makis said:

Has Keane been worth the money? Siggy? Williams was over 10 million, think it was 12. Schneiderlin had a good four months, 20 million for that is a bit steep.

The main issue however isn'ttt to look at signings player-by-player but as a whole. What's the vision? If all the signings have been good then how are we so shite?

spot on there, it feels more like he plugs holes when we spring a leak than having an overall idea of how to build a side.  baines injured, get a LB, strikers are shit, get a striker.  instead of building/buying/selling players to fit a style/formation.

Walsh is a real dud so far for me.  hundreds of millions in the miss column, he makes moyes and martinez transfer dealings look better every window.

6 hours ago, Makis said:

The main issue however isn'ttt to look at signings player-by-player but as a whole. What's the vision? If all the signings have been good then how are we so shite?

I still think they will still come good, but that second bit is absolutely spot on 

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

I still think they will still come good, but that second bit is absolutely spot on 

Going back to my point about Giroud, I tend to disagree. The vision was to get the spine sorted for the next 3-4 yrs. Pickford Keane Schneiderlin Siggy Giroud. Missed on Schneiderlin because his attitude sucks. Missed on Giroud even though he was in the building. Siggy being played out of position by RK didn't help. Keane questionable but appears to have been playing through injury until it caught up with him. 

It absolutely has not worked (yet) but to me the vision is there. 

17 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I think the only real clanger is klassen who just doesn’t look suited to premier league football. 

klaassen, keane, schneiderlin, martina, sandro, bolasie, valencia all misses for me.  Note most we overpaid.

gana, williams, pickford, vlasic are hits for me.  Note All were cheap except pickford.

Lookman, DCL, Gylfi the jury is still out.  2 cheap youngsters and 1 guy who was was overpaid, gotta wait till the end of the season to see if sig deserves the fee or not.

That's the spine of the slowest team in footballing history! Getting Giroud would have been another long term mistake. 

I also don' agree about Siggy. He has made a career of playing in a wider position. He is suddenly going to turn into a 40 mil player by starting centrally (especially as he spends most of his time there anyway).

Makis is right the vision was all wrong, whatever it was!

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

klaassen, keane, schneiderlin, martina, sandro, bolasie, valencia all misses for me.  Note most we overpaid.

gana, williams, pickford, vlasic are hits for me.  Note All were cheap except pickford.

Lookman, DCL, Gylfi the jury is still out.  2 cheap youngsters and 1 guy who was was overpaid, gotta wait till the end of the season to see if sig deserves the fee or not.

Williams a hit? 

2 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Williams a hit? 

he was our best CB last year, when he has played with holgate this year he was shown that form again.  it seems he is dependent on having a certain type of partner to really shine.  has scored a goal (or more?) as well, something very few on the backline have done.  also we bought him at his prime for 12m, that's how much funes mori was and he's definitely better than him, so i consider that a good deal.

3 hours ago, Finn balor said:

We bought him a few weeks before he turned 32. Not exactly in his prime eh? 

Consider me corrected then Finn, you’re right a mere couple weeks before his birthday.  I loved williams for Swansea, was a great player and the heart of their defense, he did well there.  I thought he did well last season too.  This season didn’t start well but he’s come into his own again with holgate.

at least that’s how I see it, we all see it differently.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

People are forgetting what they saw when Mori played. We wanted him to be good, but like so many, he ended up being a bit of a liability. I think he will be a decent back up player for us... but that’s all.

with the inflation prices i think he will be an excellent sale to a spanish club, well make back all the money or even a profit.  great in possession and ball at his feet, decent defender, he would do well in spain.  also speaks the language.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

People are forgetting what they saw when Mori played. We wanted him to be good, but like so many, he ended up being a bit of a liability. I think he will be a decent back up player for us... but that’s all.

People are also forgetting that he was brought in by a manager who didn't know what the word defence meant. The next manager treated him like he did all Martinezs signings and side-line him until he was forced to play him, and then Mori got a terrible injury.

I think there's a defender in there, but like with all players, needs a decent run in the team and decent management. He made some howlers, but every player does. 

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

One of the most negative tweets ever, and complete bollocks . Why completely ignore the young players we signed and the excellent crop of youngsters coming through from the academy

I get your point but 9 or 10 of them will start most weeks! 

I get your point but 9 or 10 of them will start most weeks! 

What’s the problem with that? 29 is hardly over the hill

Out of those he listed only Jags, Williams , Rooney and Baines are a worry

I could counter it with

Pickford
Keane
Holgate
Davies
Benni
Lookman
Vlasic
DCL
Kenny
Dowell

And that’s just the tip of the ice berg

Pickford/back-up senior keeper

Coleman/Kenny

New 1st choice LB/Baines

Keane/Holgate/Mori/At least 1 more top quality CB

Gueye/McCarthy/Davies/Rooney/Schneiderlin/Baningime

Sigurdsson/Dowell

Bolasie/Walcott/Vlasic/Lookman

Tosun/Calvert-Lewin/Maybe another senior striker 

I don’t know what will become of Klaassen, Sandro and Onyekuru but actually, if some are moved on in the summer it’s potentially looking a fairly strong and much better balanced squad going into next season. Where there’s older players, there’s youthful back-up in most areas. If we could address the left back position this month then I’d be fairly optimistic moving forward.

55 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

What’s the problem with that? 29 is hardly over the hill

Out of those he listed only Jags, Williams , Rooney and Baines are a worry

I could counter it with

Pickford
Keane
Holgate
Davies
Benni
Lookman
Vlasic
DCL
Kenny
Dowell

And that’s just the tip of the ice berg

Because most of their best days are behind them. 30 isn't old but it can show on a football field especially over a long season.

Those players you mentioned on the whole haven't proven themselves (bar Pickford). I hope they go and do it, but a lot of those players in the original list aren' going to improve so we have bought players who are on their last big contract and then the list you provided are players at the very start who need to prove themselves at this level.

Imo we need more players in between, albeit in suppose we tried with Klaasen and Keane. We just need to get better at it!