IGNORED

Steve Walsh (Director of football)

I hadnt heard of Chenk to be honest. And I think that Walcott is to address our severe lack of pace. 

So to be fair, that’s two major answers for us. 

LB depends on the Garbutt situation.

I did like sams comments though... one at a time! We have cocked up massively in the past by stretching resources and losing signings.

1 hour ago, plaidharper said:

If this window ends with just Cenk and Theo and no LB.  Thoughts?

What is Walsh doing? Thought he was supposed to uncover diamonds? and hard workers? Cenk was all over the TV in the CL and Theo is old news.

Was his stint at Leicester just luck?

I don't agree about Cenk but in the same breath it depends on how well he does. If he does well, Walsh would have done a great job of getting him in before more tempting clubs got to him. If he flops then he has spanked  x million up the wall. Kenwright admitted that Cenk was all Walsh so it will be interesting to see how it goes. 

Walcott wouldn' have been scouted, that comes from someone else. Ironically given the debate on other threads, it is probably Walcotts agent touting his availability around and then a conversation between Bill / Sam / Walsh

9 hours ago, plaidharper said:

If this window ends with just Cenk and Theo and no LB.  Thoughts?

What is Walsh doing? Thought he was supposed to uncover diamonds? and hard workers? Cenk was all over the TV in the CL and Theo is old news.

Was his stint at Leicester just luck?

I’ve said the same thing in the past.  I’ve not been impressed at all by Walsh.  Roberto Martinez managed and did recruitment and he had a better record in the transfer market with Way less money.  Hell moyes did too.  This guys got hundreds of millions and most have been flops.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’ve said the same thing in the past.  I’ve not been impressed at all by Walsh.  Roberto Martinez managed and did recruitment and he had a better record in the transfer market with Way less money.  Hell moyes did too.  This guys got hundreds of millions and most have been flops.

I agree we have seen nothing that has really impressed from him in fact most of what he has acquired have been flops, I don't agree with the director's of football roles good management is all that is required they know the system they want to play and they are capable of finding the players they want to fit into that system.  With the way we are trying to do things neither the manager or the director will take full responsibility for any failings it leaves to many grey areas to be exploited by either party when things don't workout, get rid of Walsh and add his wages in the quest to find the right manager, who will have and take full responsibility for the team and players in it.

I think DoF are more important when you plan on changing managers every couple of years (as was the case with Koeman and Allardycr) because it means that the philosophy and players largely stay the same as the new manager will be picked with the same philosophy as the last, or at least that' the plan.

If you want the manager to be heavily involved with both then they need to be given much longer to get the club moulded in their image otherwise you end up with changing most of the first team squad every couple of years which won' bring us success. 

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

We have signed lots of players for the U23's, was he also involved in the Lookman and Vlasic deals?

Have to wait to see if the young players we have signed are able to step up.

If we didn’t play hajduk we would have never signed vlasic.  

26 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think DoF are more important when you plan on changing managers every couple of years (as was the case with Koeman and Allardycr) because it means that the philosophy and players largely stay the same as the new manager will be picked with the same philosophy as the last, or at least that' the plan.

If you want the manager to be heavily involved with both then they need to be given much longer to get the club moulded in their image otherwise you end up with changing most of the first team squad every couple of years which won' bring us success. 

I don’t want the type of football Walsh wants.  Punt and run.  No thanks.  Get someone who knows technical players.

We pay one of the best packages in this league to our manager yet we pay Walsh to buy the players and dictate the style of play, wtf and if he's buying a lot for the U23s then give him the role as youth development officer but keep the dick head away from the first team.

I don’t understand the hatred towards him. We don’t know the ins and outs of his complete role, it’s something we’ve never had before, so why not wait and see what he does. It’s a long term role, not a quick fix. If we don’t see continual progression over a longer period then fine, for me it’s still way too early to judge. 

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He openly campaigned for sam and Shakespeare.  That says it all really.

Sam is long ball. Similar to Moyes, well an upgrade on him imo as Sam is defensively more robust as is his attacking see Bolton when they had Anelka. 

Whereas Shakespeare/Walsh are fast counters. Similar to MO'Ns Aston Villa. My least favourite style of football, only good for motd as the goals will be fast and exciting rather than creating something yourself. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

Sam is long ball. Similar to Moyes, well an upgrade on him imo as Sam is defensively more robust as is his attacking see Bolton when they had Anelka. 

Whereas Shakespeare/Walsh are fast counters. Similar to MO'Ns Aston Villa. My least favourite style of football, only good for motd as the goals will be fast and exciting rather than creating something yourself. 

So he campaigned for two absolute cockwombles then. 

Give that man a fucking raise. 

17 hours ago, pete0 said:

He couldn't be more of a downgrade! 

I don't know why people keep quoting his Bolton days, they were 10 years ago. The game has evolved massively and he has regressed. 

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

He couldn't be more of a downgrade! 

I don't know why people keep quoting his Bolton days, they were 10 years ago. The game has evolved massively and he has regressed. 

Last season the run he went on at Palace, who were a shambles before he took, was a great feat. Moyes had Sunderland relegated before they even kicked a ball. 

I've not checked but I'd imagine Alladyce has won at all the Sky clubs grounds, something Moyes didn't manage in 40 attempts. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Last season the run he went on at Palace, who were a shambles before he took, was a great feat. Moyes had Sunderland relegated before they even kicked a ball. 

I've not checked but I'd imagine Alladyce has won at all the Sky clubs grounds, something Moyes didn't manage in 40 attempts. 

Frankly, I could not care less about what he's done previously for other clubs. Pretty much every club he touched, they've gone down at some point or been in constant fear of being relegated. His negative mentality sets root and kills teams, which is why I never wanted him linked with us, let alone as manager. 

So far, he took Unsworths work and got a few points. After a few games of his "leadership" we've had the worst "attacking threat" I've seen in nearly 20 years. That's not down to the squad, that's down to his tactics.

Walsh rejoined Leicester in 2011. They won the title in 2015-16.  

To me the real question is who (if anyone) do you blame for missing on Giroud? IMHO that is down to bad luck. Cannot blame Walsh...or Koeman for that matter. Giroud doesn't solve all of our problems but it certainly would have helped. The lack of a quality forward compounds other problems with the squad. My point is I'm not hanging Walsh out to dry yet. 

Since Walsh arrived:

IN: Gueye 7.1, Williams 9.0, Bolasie 22.5, DCL 1.5, Lookman 7.5, Schneiderlin 20, Klaassen 23.6, Onyekuru 6.8, Pickford 25, Keane 25, Sandro 5.2, Siggy 40, Rooney 0, Vlasic undis., Tosun 27

OUT: Stones 47.5, Gibson/Ovideo 7.5, Cleverley 8, Deulofeu 10.6, Rom 75, Barry 1, Barkley 15

The only complete disaster in that lot is Klaassen and I wonder if Koeman pushed that through. We'll get every penny back on Sandro. 

I'll end with this and let me be clear I'm sad I believe this, it's just the football world as we know it. I firmly believe we need to stop thinking of 25 million as a great player. In 2018 spending 25 million on a player, especially from outside the premier league, might as well be a punt. If we want top four we need to be spending 40+ on every midfield and forward signing. 

30 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Fair enough the Giroud episode was unfortunate but surely we should have had a back up plan

It was also bordering on gross negligence to go into the season with an ageing Leighton Baines as the only left back in the squad

agreed on both accounts, Walsh missed the boat on both of them.