IGNORED

Steve Walsh (Director of football)

7 hours ago, Matt said:

I’d fire him for recommending Fat Sam alone

I've no issue with Walsh, well, no extreme issue as I don't feel I know enough to really judge...but if the Fat Sam thing is true then I'd be fuming. And if other little things turn out to be true...then yeah, get rid. Or at least realign his position and stop the DoF thing until we can work it out as a club.

But....Moshiri I feel has a fuck tonne to learn about the runnings of a football club (away from the commercial/business side of things). And although we are enduring a torrid time, hopefully he is learning and we do eventually benefit.

12 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

I've no issue with Walsh, well, no extreme issue as I don't feel I know enough to really judge...but if the Fat Sam thing is true then I'd be fuming. And if other little things turn out to be true...then yeah, get rid. Or at least realign his position and stop the DoF thing until we can work it out as a club.

But....Moshiri I feel has a fuck tonne to learn about the runnings of a football club (away from the commercial/business side of things). And although we are enduring a torrid time, hopefully he is learning and we do eventually benefit.

I go along with the Moshiri shout, he brought the two people here that have broken this club in Koeman and Walsh and he set out to do that before the ink had dried on his share purchase,  I can't help thinking he should have stuck with Martinez for one season with a fraction of the money Koeman and Walsh spent we'd be flying again, but we'll never know which was his first mistake.

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

Who have we lost?

lukaku = haven’t replaced.

Gerry = bit part player.

Barry = didn’t play a lot second half of the season, but an obvious massive miss.

Barkley = injured and could return soon. But could also leave.

Coleman = injured and returning soon.

Bolasie = injured and returning imminently.

Did we deserve to finish 7th last season? I say yes. I think we were good enough to be closer to sixth. Yet we all suddenly think this same team minus Lukaku, Gerry and Barry at suddenly relegation fodder?

realistically I can’t see us buying six or seven players in January, I honestly think the board will see this team as needing two or three players and motivating more than a whole team reshuffle. If we can get the players playing to their level then we should be able to climb away easily. If we an get players playing to potential, then I am with Bill and think we  climb back into the top ten before too long.

Im still gonna go for 8th.

Now please don’t waster yours and my time by saying any of these following sentences!

No you don’t get it Shukes... because I do, I just see if it differently to you.

If you think we have a squad that should be top 8 then your crazy, nuts, stupid or any other name you can think off........ I am all of those and more, still think were 6 to 10 places better than our position.

Your wrong Shukes.... no I’m just as wrong or right than you. At the moment we are all speculating or offering an opinion... nothing more nothing less.

Not sure who mentioned it, but someone suggested the manager isn’t as important as we all think. I agree. Those of you who have played at level semi or above will all know the most important aspect of a team is the players and their attitudes and desire. A manager picks 11 players and it’s up to them how hey perform once they cross that white line.

Im going to predict a turn around from this point on. We’re going to have something to cling too and believe in.

I think the factor you are missing out is character. I think a lot of the players we've brought in have shown poor attitude, in as much as, if you're playing badly, ultimately you have a responsibility as a professional to buck your ideas up. Too many of the players we've brought in over the past 18 months have failed to do that. I'd say our dressing room is a pretty unhappy place at the moment. Too many people feeling sorry for themselves, rather than fighting for the team. That is much harder to turn around than a temporary loss of form. 

Last summer: "Walsh is the lad who signed Kante. Get in!"

Now: "Walsh is buddies with Allardyce! Sack him!"

Honestly, not surprised to see him bring in scouts from Leicester or places he's worked in the past. Anyone hired to build an organization or when tasked with filling a position will look to names he knows/has worked with in the past.

As for any scouts ability, don't think any of us know enough to make an informed judgment. 

2 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

Last summer: "Walsh is the lad who signed Kante. Get in!"

Now: "Walsh is buddies with Allardyce! Sack him!"

Honestly, not surprised to see him bring in scouts from Leicester or places he's worked in the past. Anyone hired to build an organization or when tasked with filling a position will look to names he knows/has worked with in the past.

As for any scouts ability, don't think any of us know enough to make an informed judgment. 

i was cautious but backed him hoping we would be stocked with cheap young foreigners who we could find a diamond in the rough from.  finding out who he really is has made me sour on him.  if we had a bunch of U23 guys looking class i'd be in a different mood but the french striker and other he signed don't seem to be anything better than what we already had.  same with lookman and DCl, premier league palyers sure but not enough to make a major impact.  hope i['m wrong.

35 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i was cautious but backed him hoping we would be stocked with cheap young foreigners who we could find a diamond in the rough from.  finding out who he really is has made me sour on him.  if we had a bunch of U23 guys looking class i'd be in a different mood but the french striker and other he signed don't seem to be anything better than what we already had.  same with lookman and DCl, premier league palyers sure but not enough to make a major impact.  hope i['m wrong.

I think part of our problem is the signing of too many 18-20 year old players from the Championship and League One who show promise but are raw and ultimately may not cut it. Combine that with our senior squad aging and missing on some of our mid-career player signings, we are in a mess

Fucking £1million a year?? To scout players fuck me! He should be nowhere near the choice for a new manager. That’s not his role. I don’t think Williams was one of his signings but to allow the deadline to go with no other centre back or left back cover is piss poor. What we are so so lacking is a player that can pick the ball up deep under pressure and knock it about. Like a peanuts or an arteta. That type of player creates space for others all over the park. That’s what we should have spunked £45 mill on

a lot of humble pie to be served up.  many here stated "he doesn't have anything to do with transfers, he just scouts players and brings in who the manager wants"  and "all on koeman, all his players he brought in, walsh is just a scout".  i kept saying he had more to do and was to be held accountable, he's a DOF, but no to many he's just a scout.

turns out he's the one running the club's big decisions with moshiri.  got his mates the manager job and has farhad's ear.  what a shithouse appointment, i'd rather have leonardo and he's washed up.

17 minutes ago, Paddock said:

I have massive reservations about Walsh- the way he’s escaped all this unscathed worries me also the claims he’s pushed Allardyce- there’s now a photo on Twitter of Allerdyce at FF with Walsh standing there with a stupid grin on his face like the cat who got the cream.

My thoughts as well -- there was even talk that Koeman had blamed Walsh for not getting the signings he wanted. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I'm thinking there is at least some.

Walsh has a big job to do in January.

It will be interesting to see how his relationship with Sam pans out, Allardyce is a big personality with an old school mentality of management that he's the manager and he will make all decisions when it comes to the team and players, if the Echo story is to be believed that Walsh is running the club or thinks he is then I can see stormy waters ahead in their relationship, and I don't think Walsh will win many if any arguments so Moshiri could have a busy time ahead as peacemaker.

It will be interesting to see how his relationship with Sam pans out, Allardyce is a big personality with an old school mentality of management that he's the manager and he will make all decisions when it comes to the team and players, if the Echo story is to be believed that Walsh is running the club or thinks he is then I can see stormy waters ahead in their relationship, and I don't think Walsh will win many if any arguments so Moshiri could have a busy time ahead as peacemaker.

Walsh and Allardyce are as thick as thieves so I can’t see there being any issues at all

2 hours ago, Paddock said:

Troy Deeney though- wtf is he thinking wanting to sign aging shite players like that- if that’s the type he’s looking into I really do worry about him having so much sway here.

He's been like for the past 4 or 5 Windows. Surly it can't be true?

50 minutes ago, hafnia said:

We don't need deeney. DCL does the work deeney does. 

It will be interesting to see what formation he goes with. If he sticks to the 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 of the last two games he will either need a) a number 9 who scores more than DCL and is better at hold up play than Niasse or b )  a wide man who scores plenty. I think DCL is made to play in a front two with a goalscorer next to him. Then it's a case of playing 4-4-2 / 4-1-3-2 with Sigurdsson and Rooney in midfield. I think we'd need a better DM than we currently have to make that work - let's see how good Walsh is and see if he can get N'Zonzi. 

• 1 month later...

I maybe wrong but I would gamble that we will be safe with the current squad, so on that basis I would wait till summer before we go splashing out in the transfer market, you pay through the nose in January and it's possible we may part company with Allardyce, in which case the man coming in may not rate the players brought in.

I maybe wrong but I would gamble that we will be safe with the current squad, so on that basis I would wait till summer before we go splashing out in the transfer market, you pay through the nose in January and it's possible we may part company with Allardyce, in which case the man coming in may not rate the players brought in.

We could soon get sucked back into it , so still need. CF and a LB yesterday
Anyway isn’t that meant to be the entire point of having a director of football, so that a manager leaving doesn’t cause disruption ?

19 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

We could soon get sucked back into it , so still need. CF and a LB yesterday
Anyway isn’t that meant to be the entire point of having a director of football, so that a manager leaving doesn’t cause disruption ?

Well it never stopped Koeman leaving a trail of destruction under his watch so that obviously doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...