IGNORED

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

No need to apologise dude.

You're saying you read that I said don't be critical of anyone. I'm saying if you're going to be critical of someone, review your own stance too, I.e. be critical of all involved.

I suppose I was assuming that if you’re to the point that you’re critical of another you’ve already thought about your own position. Perhaps that’s giving some people too much credit. 

Despite all this conversation, I personally don’t think Gana’s action rise to a level where I wouldn’t want him back (for that reason). I just worry about those legs at his age for a player that’s game is so dependent on fitness and energy. 

2 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I suppose I was assuming that if you’re to the point that you’re critical of another you’ve already thought about your own position. Perhaps that’s giving some people too much credit. 

Despite all this conversation, I personally don’t think Gana’s action rise to a level where I wouldn’t want him back (for that reason). I just worry about those legs at his age for a player that’s game is so dependent on fitness and energy. 

Considering what is in politics, online etc, it's always someone else who's wrong and it seems to be the minority that actually self reflefts too. Cynical maybe but 20 years of the Internet has kinda shaped me. 

18 minutes ago, MikeO said:

He wrote it under a pen name because of that, but I don't think it was ever a secret on here; we have no members with a radical right wing conservative Christian creationist agenda as far as I know, and even if we did they'd not be able to identify him from his profile. That said, if he asks me to remove the link I will.

No we haven’t, we are just a bunch of misfits with just one thing in common we are all pricks 😂

35 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

What the hell does his ability and fitness have to do with him coming back? Get back on topic!

1 hour ago, RPG said:

No there isn’t a choice but I don’t expect you to understand. It’s ok.

You will need to speak to an Islamic Scholar and be ready for a very long lesson to understand why - and even then you may not.

I actually agree strongly with your last para but that is what we are dealing with. In order to engage people like Gueye in meaningful debate will not be easy but the first step is to try to understand their position and why they hold it - whether we agree with it or not.

You do understand that there are different types of Islam right? Just like there are of all religions?

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Although I am not overly mad on the idea of ageing player coming in to the club at the end of their career. But I am pretty sure IGG will be coming with the right intentions, and not simply coming to Everton as a way to grab a few extra quid before retirement. I am sure he will give everything he has got to the cause. We currently have a gap in the squad that needs plugging and don't have a massive budget to do it. So as things stand I would rather have him available in the squad than not.

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Although I am not overly mad on the idea of ageing player coming in to the club at the end of their career. But I am pretty sure IGG will be coming with the right intentions, and not simply coming to Everton as a way to grab a few extra quid before retirement. I am sure he will give everything he has got to the cause. We currently have a gap in the squad that needs plugging and don't have a massive budget to do it. So as things stand I would rather have him available in the squad than not.

I’m guessing 2 year contract. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's a loan deal by the looks.

That would be our last loan card this window then.  As it's his last 12months with PSG, you would think they would just let him go then as free agent next summer in anycase.

They must still be covering part of his wages then for this loan to make sense. 

Just now, RuffRob said:

That would be our last loan card this window then.  As it's his last 12months with PSG, you would think they would just let him go then as free agent next summer in anycase.

I thought it was that you could only loan 2 English players and the rules were different for an international player. I defer to my brothers across the Atlantic in this though.

9 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

7 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

I thought it was that you could only loan 2 English players and the rules were different for an international player. I defer to my brothers across the Atlantic in this though.

Sparty has it right. We can have two domestic loans and haven't used either of those yet.

4 hours ago, RuffRob said:

👍

9 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

If ever there was a thread that was designed to go off topic this would be it. Though I think it is actually on topic as the discussion has been centered around Gana. 

I honestly don’t think most of the points made have been about Gana, though it all certainly started around him. 

12 minutes ago, StevO said:

I honestly don’t think most of the points made have been about Gana, though it all certainly started around him. 

Well they were in relation to his decision and the various questions that it begs. Grant you we veered from football talk so I understand wanting to get things back on track.

3 minutes ago, RPG said:

I think I should. I am muslim.

Cool. Then you know that not all of them have the same restrictions and approaches to the faith. So when you say "The religion is rigid and there is no way for those of the faith to challenge their religion on these issues", that simply isn't true. It is true in some of the branches of Islam, it is not remotely true in others. Don't need a scholar to tell me anything there, it's just fact. Now, your religious path and the local culture may be that its the strict doctrine? If that's the case I understand why you'd make a blanket statement for the entire faith (although still not true). Regardless, choice is always present (although it can be dangerous), and we don't know which arm of Islam IGG follows so its kinda irrelevant.