IGNORED

Stoke City (Home) Saturday August 27

markjazzbassist

MOTM could go to any of our essentially 4 new defenders. Stekelenburg in goal was fantastic... incredible to see someone coming out of his box and punching so many balls away. Williams very assured and cleaned up more dangerous chances than anyone else. Holgate did a great job with Arnautovic and held his own pushing forward including that fantastic piece of dribbling to win the free kick there at the end. And Gueye was everywhere once again.

Our attacking still needs some work though. Everyone looks rusty. Barkley was good at times but gave away far too many balls, either due to miscommunication or poor decision-making. Rom was good in hold-up play but only once or twice made the right decision. Mirallas was good but not sensational. And Bolasie looks a live wire but, like Barkley, precision wasn't there.

Overall a good performance and MOTM to Gueye.

Thought it was a great game myself..certainly entertaining for a neutral

Thing is I'm not a neutral.

I think we'll need to improve in a few things before we can be happy.We have to score more, this should come in time, but I've seen way better games than this......too bloody nervous, even at 1-0, just glad it's over.

Thing is I'm not a neutral.

I think we'll need to improve in a few things before we can be happy.We have to score more, this should come in time, but I've seen way better games than this......too bloody nervous, even at 1-0, just glad it's over.

Neither am I obviously...can see what you mean about it not being a good game for the nerves...on some level I hate it when everton are winning 1-0

This is the exact type of game we had made a habit of dropping points in. These fine margins, if we keep it up, will see us so much higher up the table come season's end. We did plenty to win, got a lot of unlucky bounces and one lucky one, but we didn't give anything away for free. We kept our focus and saw out the three points. Our goals will come (we are playing some great stuff and we will get even better), but we need to be able to win games like today's. That's 2 wins and a draw out of 3. Seven points out of nine. Not a bad stretch to open the season!

For me, back 7 all played well. Gana, Holgate, Williams, especially. Barry unspectacular but so smart. Steckelenburg a couple of good moments. Gana everywhere, MOTM.

Of front 4, happy to see Mirallas wants to shoot, and boy does he. Bolassie gassed before finally taken off, but dangerous.

Lukaku just not finishing well right now. I assume it will come, but I don't see 30 goals there. Nor £60m.

I'm not a Barkley fan. Just have to admit my bias. He seems to want to walk it in, make too-clever-by-half-assed passes, foolish turns. He is so gifted physically, intermittently exciting, often disappointing. I'm just not a fan. As he matures, maybe he'll become a great one.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

Should've been a lot more comfortable than the score line suggests but we got the job done. Last season Stoke would've got the equaliser and probably a winner.

Really happy with Barry, Gueye, Holgate and Williams today. They were immense. Really disappointed with Barkley who was very poor though.

Different perception?

BBC...

Who would have impressed Sam Allardyce?

England manager Sam Allardyce was at Goodison Park and is set to name his first squad since replacing Roy Hodgson for the World Cup qualifier in Slovakia on 4 September.

Allardyce would have been hugely impressed with Everton midfielder Ross Barkley, who produced a man-of-the-match performance.

Barkley, who was in Hodgson's Euro 2016 squad but did not feature in any matches, helped drive Everton forward in a game they dominated.

The 22-year-old midfielder was booked inside the opening 10 minutes, but that did not stop him producing an energetic box-to-box performance that saw him denied three times by Given.

Different perception?

BBC...

England manager Sam Allardyce was at Goodison Park and is set to name his first squad since replacing Roy Hodgson for the World Cup qualifier in Slovakia on 4 September.

Allardyce would have been hugely impressed with Everton midfielder Ross Barkley, who produced a man-of-the-match performance.

Barkley, who was in Hodgson's Euro 2016 squad but did not feature in any matches, helped drive Everton forward in a game they dominated.

The 22-year-old midfielder was booked inside the opening 10 minutes, but that did not stop him producing an energetic box-to-box performance that saw him denied three times by Given.

BBC probably wrote that because Deli Ali was shite today.

Different perception?

BBC...

He was awful as far as I was concerned. His decision-making was shite and it frustrated the life out of me.