IGNORED

The Run-up and battle for Europe this campaign

I think being in the Europa league is our best shot (for this season) at attracting next tiered players in the summer. We have the financial clout now to build a larger squad that other clubs don't outside the top 7.

Like Aaron said, some clubs spend time in Europe and then progress to CL (Atletico, Spurs, Sevilla, etc.).

Edited by TonkaRoost

I think being in the Europa league is our best shot (for this season) at attracting next tiered players in the summer. We have the financial clout now to build a larger squad that other clubs don't outside the top 7.

Like Aaron said, some clubs spend time in Europe and then progress to CL (Atletico, Spurs, Sevilla, etc.).

Problem with getting in in seventh place is it means an earlier start to the season, playing the third qualifying round before the Premier League starts (unless the rules have changed); although the opposition should be pretty weak so I guess we could treat it as part of pre-season. Then there's another two games in the play-off round to get to the group stage.

This is all assuming we don't get a surprise FA Cup winner in which case seventh won't qualify anyway.

Problem with getting in in seventh place is it means an earlier start to the season, playing the third qualifying round before the Premier League starts (unless the rules have changed); although the opposition should be pretty weak so I guess we could treat it as part of pre-season. Then there's another two games in the play-off round to get to the group stage.

This is all assuming we don't get a surprise FA Cup winner in which case seventh won't qualify anyway.

honestly i think you treat it like pre season. West Ham put out reserve sides and preseason sides and made it till the match before the group stage and then they folded. If we do the same but give it a little more importance and effort we could make the group stage.

I just think not getting will hurt us. Players want to play in Europe. I don't think Zlatan would've went to ManU if they weren't in at least Europa, for example. Maybe the round we get in based off of a 7th placed finish isn't that great, but the teams we would be playing are probably the same level (or lower) of the preseason teams we play already.

Edited by TonkaRoost

We need European football to progress, regardless of which tier.

It's an extra challenge, it's an excuse to have a bigger squad, it's a bigger stage for our players and our club.

I completely agree with you but at the same time can't disregard how easier getting in the CL would be next season without the extra micky mouse europa league matches.

I find it crazy that people wouldn't want European football regardless of which, we now have the resources to add to the squad and hopefully quality additions at that

Finances have been our downside in previous stints, a fairly small squad with no depth or quality beyond the first eleven and the balls been rolling on that front since Koemans arrival and hopefully in the summer we'll see it properly addressed

Extra revenue extra exposure and gives us a better chance of attracting better players it's a no brained it should be our aim imo

Edited by EFC-Paul

I'm not sure its a lack of wanting European football, its more a worry of the burden the Europa brings. It effects league form, no denying it. Be interesting to see how United fair on Sunday after travelling to Russia.

Europa brings a lot of travel, the lesser European teams who are further away tend to be in this compared to the bigger clubs in the CL.

I for one hope to be watching us under a flood light next season on a Thursday. Some of the most memorable nights in recent seasons have been in the Europa/UEFA cup. remember Osman's screamer? The Fiorentina game when Arteta scored the worldie.

I'm not sure its a lack of wanting European football, its more a worry of the burden the Europa brings. It effects league form, no denying it. Be interesting to see how United fair on Sunday after travelling to Russia.

Europa brings a lot of travel, the lesser European teams who are further away tend to be in this compared to the bigger clubs in the CL.

I for one hope to be watching us under a flood light next season on a Thursday. Some of the most memorable nights in recent seasons have been in the Europa/UEFA cup. remember Osman's screamer? The Fiorentina game when Arteta scored the worldie.

And who can ever forget the monumental cock-up between Rodwell and Distin to give Sporting a late pen/goal :(?

Actually I was at Goodison for both the games v Portuguese teams (Benfica also) at the atmosphere created by their fans inside and outside the ground was brilliant.

that has been proven wrong time and time again. when we qualified for Europa with Roberto there were all kinds of articles posted here (don't know if you were active around that time) that proved stats wise it doesn't affect form. Spurs the prime example this year, Man United as well.

that has been proven wrong time and time again. when we qualified for Europa with Roberto there were all kinds of articles posted here (don't know if you were active around that time) that proved stats wise it doesn't affect form. Spurs the prime example this year, Man United as well.

I probably wasn't active so yeah may of missed them, however United and Spurs have the squad size to compete. Spurs haven't been in the Europa that long this season, two rounds isn't it?

a quick google brought up this article which albeit from two years ago, does show it has effected the smaller squads:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11960/9966576/how-does-europa-league-affect-premier-league-form

I probably wasn't active so yeah may of missed them, however United and Spurs have the squad size to compete. Spurs haven't been in the Europa that long this season, two rounds isn't it?

a quick google brought up this article which albeit from two years ago, does show it has effected the smaller squads:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11960/9966576/how-does-europa-league-affect-premier-league-form

results are mixed. another article below and analysis. looking at your article small squads fulham and stoke had 1 position difference in 11/12. Also our campaign was not due to Europa, it was due to Martinez. His style worked great in Europe because those teams attacked as well (until we got to Krasnodar). Here's a key quote from the article i posted:

"Yes, the Europa League makes life more complicated but the perception of it as a certain death knell for your league ambitions is certainly wrong. Up to half of the (better-prepared) teams taking part do achieve their domestic targets, regardless."

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2709321/does-europa-league-participation-harm-league-form

so really it's a mixed bag. We have moshiri money bags and a lot of dead wood coming off the roster, a great youth setup. i'd say this is a great time to get a bigger squad in the summer and add in the youth players to rotate. Pennington, Dowell, Kenny, etc could all help out. Plus the winner gets Champions League (and a trophy) which i think would be great to kick start us. It certainly pushed both Atletico Madrid and Sevilla into the Upper echelon's of football. They're now considered big time, they weren't before they'd won it and became CL regulars.

Is that set in stone?

Could be, couldn't it?

If Spurs beat Millwall, then we know for sure that teams already in European places are going to be both winner and runner up in the FA Cup...plus with United already winning the League Cup...it's highly likely that 7th would be a Europe place.

Could be, couldn't it?

If Spurs beat Millwall, then we know for sure that teams already in European places are going to be both winner and runner up in the FA Cup...plus with United already winning the League Cup...it's highly likely that 7th would be a Europe place.

Fingers crossed then! Don't like the thought of the extra games however will take European football as there is no chance we can push for CL this season.

With Koeman I feel an air of confidence of the players feeling like we can win something. They'll be up for bringing the ECC home.

Just need Spurs to beat milwall tomorrow and 7th will be Europa. Chelsea, Man U, City, Arsenal are left in it. Great results for us Cup wise today.

Just run it by us one more time...

already did, read above. If results stay 7th is Europa because United gets Europa from cup win and FA cup will be all CL/Europa teams. Even if United wins Europa 7th is still Europa (8th will not be, we only get 2 places then but 5 CL is ok).

If Milwall loses and the top 7 doesn't change (places can, but no new teams come in and none drop out) we have Europa. Tomorrow is the big day.

already did, read above. If results stay 7th is Europa because United gets Europa from cup win and FA cup will be all CL/Europa teams. Even if United wins Europa 7th is still Europa (8th will not be, we only get 2 places then but 5 CL is ok).

If Milwall loses and the top 7 doesn't change (places can, but no new teams come in and none drop out) we have Europa. Tomorrow is the big day.

Thanks for clarifying mjb.

1306183097623_7849895.png

Haha. I enjoy the way our humour sometimes seems to totally escape you.

Is that set in stone?

Right, just for Mike..

Yes it is as the 4 teams left in are all guaranteed to qualify for either CL or Europa via their league position.

Utd won the old League cup so that means 6th is guaranteed Europa, if Milwall don't win the FA Cup (and they wont) then whoever out of Arsenal, Utd/Chelsea, Man City and Spurs (if they win today) win the FA Cup then that place will also go to the league.

In short, we get 4 CL places and 3 Europa. 1-4 go to CL and 5th, winner of FA Cup and winner of the old league cup go into EuropaIf the winner of these have already qualified via finishing between 1st and 5th or 1st and 6th in this case as the league cup place has already gone to 6th then the place for the FA Cup goes to 7th.

Clear as mud eh.