IGNORED

The Run-up and battle for Europe this campaign

April PL Fixtures

Chelsea - 10 pts clear, trophy in sight

Spurs - 59 pts - A Burnley, A Swans, H Watford, H Bournemouth, A Palace, H Arsenal

City - 57 pts - A Arsenal, A Chelsea, H Hull, A Southampton, H Utd, A Boro

Liverpool - 56 pts - H EFC, H Bournemouth, A Stoke, A WBA, H Palace

Utd - 52 pts - H WBA, H EFC, A Sunderland, H Chelsea, A Burnley, A City, H Swans

Arsenal - 50 pts - H City, H West Ham, A Palace, A Boro, H Leicester, A Spurs

Everton - 50 pts - A Shite, A Utd, H Leicester, H Burnley, A West Ham, H Chelsea

This entire exercise is pointless if we don't take points from the Shite and Utd but looking ahead we get Leicester right before their Champs League game and Chelsea for their 3rd game in 8 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be in a small minority here, but for me, our "battle for Europe" is with WBA for 7th, not with Man City, Man U, and Arsenal for 4th, 5th, 6th.

Of course I'd much prefer to nick ahead of all 3 and take 4th for CL. But passing all 3 clubs -- 2 of which play Everton at home and have 2 games in hand compared to us, and the 3rd of which has a game in hand -- is highly unlikely. Virtually impossible absent taking 3 points @ both Man U and Arsenal. Even then, still unlikely.

If we take -- I don't know, 18-20 points from the 24 remaining -- well, then maybe we will finish 5th, even 4th, but the 3 above us would all have to be mediocre in the run up.

But we have a solid chance to win our real "battle for Europe," 7th in the table. Solid, and way, way more likely than moving up. But, even 7th, though solid and likely, is not guaranteed. Interesting that Everton and WBA play many of same clubs going forward. Here's a comparison.

Exactly the same: both Everton and WBA are home to Leicester and Chelsea, and @Swansea.

Similar: Everton get Watford and Burnley at Goodison, while WBA are @ both Watford and Burnley.

Different: Everton have @Man U, @W Ham, @Arsenal, while WBA have Southampton, Liverpool, and @Man City.

WBA are somewhat more a threat to take 7th than are Everton to move up.

I know what you mean, Elston. But the optimist in me blinds me a little and, looking at the points, it is possible provided we turn up ala City and Arsenal at home, and not collapse like the weekend

i'm with matt, arsenal are in free fall and arsene might have lost the dressing room and people like ozil and sanchez. we play them last match of the season. we could still get 6th.

I'll claim to be a realist rather than a pessimist in this mini-conversation. And I'll be thrilled to move up, even to 6th. Excited at the thought we might play for 6th @Arsenal the last day of the season.

there are some reports now saying with the difficult schedule united has (and one trophy under their belt) they might put all their efforts to winning Europa to get CL instead of worrying about the league. So United and Arsenal are both within reach. Liverpool sadly are not i don't think.

I must be in a small minority here, but for me, our "battle for Europe" is with WBA for 7th, not with Man City, Man U, and Arsenal for 4th, 5th, 6th.

Realistically, it probably is.

But the fan in you has to keep looking at 4th in order to keep the season as exciting as it can be!!!

Of course I'd much prefer to nick ahead of all 3 and take 4th for CL. But passing all 3 clubs -- 2 of which play Everton at home and have 2 games in hand compared to us, and the 3rd of which has a game in hand -- is highly unlikely. Virtually impossible absent taking 3 points @ both Man U and Arsenal. Even then, still unlikely.

If we take -- I don't know, 18-20 points from the 24 remaining -- well, then maybe we will finish 5th, even 4th, but the 3 above us would all have to be mediocre in the run up.

But we have a solid chance to win our real "battle for Europe," 7th in the table. Solid, and way, way more likely than moving up. But, even 7th, though solid and likely, is not guaranteed. Interesting that Everton and WBA play many of same clubs going forward. Here's a comparison.

Exactly the same: both Everton and WBA are home to Leicester and Chelsea, and @Swansea.

Similar: Everton get Watford and Burnley at Goodison, while WBA are @ both Watford and Burnley.

Different: Everton have @Man U, @W Ham, @Arsenal, while WBA have Southampton, Liverpool, and @Man City.

WBA are somewhat more a threat to take 7th than are Everton to move up.

You're not mate, our battle IS with West Brom. At best we could by a miracle get 6th but I doubt it very much.

To think we can get 4th is just ridiculous and people thinking like that is what makes expectations spiral out of hand and become unrealistic.

You're not mate, our battle IS with West Brom. At best we could by a miracle get 6th but I doubt it very much.

To think we can get 4th is just ridiculous and people thinking like that is what makes expectations spiral out of hand and become unrealistic.

I don't think that anyone really does think we can get 4th. But, again, as a fan, there is no harm in looking at it to keep that exciting edge to the season. So long as you don't cry when we don't get it...no harm done.

I've not heard (or read!!!) anyone say we should be be getting 4th. So realistic expectations seem to be well grounded.

I don't think that anyone really does think we can get 4th. But, again, as a fan, there is no harm in looking at it to keep that exciting edge to the season. So long as you don't cry when we don't get it...no harm done.

I've not heard (or read!!!) anyone say we should be be getting 4th. So realistic expectations seem to be well grounded.

yeah after the liverpool loss 4th should be written off. it's now a battle of the Europa spots and when do we start pre-season. 5th is the best place, that secures group stage, then it goes FA cup, then League Cup.