IGNORED

The Run-up and battle for Europe this campaign

Two weeks back I said our real battle was with WBA for 7th, not with ManU and Arsenal for 5th-6th. As a realist, I thought several others were overly optimistic in thinking we could rise in the table.

Two weeks on, they appear to have been better at predicting than I. (This is gentle way of my avoiding saying, "You were right, I was wrong.")

Back then I said, "WBA are somewhat more a threat to take 7th than are Everton to move up." Now it seems fair to predict that, while Everton are still likely to finish exactly 7th, Everton are also much more a threat to move up than down.

The 3 games in hand for both ManU and Arsenal are the big stumbling block to our hopes. But wins by Chelsea and Boro would produce some run-in drama, for sure. Maybe further unsettle Wenger and Mourinho.

7th place has long time been our most likely finish.

However, it's important to remember how much we have closed the gap since the turn of the year.

Also, there is nothing wrong with looking above and taking each game as it comes, hoping that we might finish higher than 7th. That's your prerogative as a fan. Create that bit of excitement for yourself, fair enough. Just don't moan too much if it doesn't happen. Some want to keep tabs on it and see what we might be able to do, some finished the season in December!

Football is an unpredictable game. I thought Chelsea had already won the league last month. As many others did. Now there's only 4 points in it. I wonder how many of the Spurs fans who thought they'd no chance of winning it are now taking a bit more notice?

7th place has long time been our most likely finish.

However, it's important to remember how much we have closed the gap since the turn of the year.

Also, there is nothing wrong with looking above and taking each game as it comes, hoping that we might finish higher than 7th. That's your prerogative as a fan. Create that bit of excitement for yourself, fair enough. Just don't moan too much if it doesn't happen. Some want to keep tabs on it and see what we might be able to do, some finished the season in December!

Football is an unpredictable game. I thought Chelsea had already won the league last month. As many others did. Now there's only 4 points in it. I wonder how many of the Spurs fans who thought they'd no chance of winning it are now taking a bit more notice?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking ahead of you it's what you should donas long as you're not furious or slag the club off if we don't dothe near impossible.

I'm all for it until people start fuming and calling the players/managers or board when we come up inevitably short.

Guest rusty747

There is still a small chance of finishing 6th imho. Arsenal are very erratic and anything is possible with them at the moment. In order to have even a slim chance of catching them, though we must take a minimum of 11 points from the remaining 5 games, and hope that Arsenal slip up again like they did at Palace.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking ahead of you it's what you should donas long as you're not furious or slag the club off if we don't dothe near impossible.

I'm all for it until people start fuming and calling the players/managers or board when we come up inevitably short.

Yeah exactly. All about enjoying the push while keeping your expectations in check.

As far as I'm concerned, we are a few points away from forcing the media to turn the 'BIG 6' into a 'BIG 7'. That's something within itself.

It's not just about finishing 7th guys.

It's about not stopping to push.

I'm sure a lot of fans know the difference between whimpering to seventh and pushing for sixth and failing.

We're pushing hard and proving so many people wrong....myself included.

...and it's about seeing how close we are to those teams come the end of the season. It's the platform for next season.

We've done well to 'get in the mix'. What was it back in December, 9 points off 6th?

Keep pushing!!!

The top six will drop plenty of points as seen last night I'd have had Chelsea nailed on to pagger United tbh

We've just got to hope we can keep the consistency up and the likes of Arsenal and United hit a poor run of form

Either way 7th which is likely is a good first season for Koeman and some of the lads with a Europa spot pretty much nailed on

I've always said to myself this summer is where our future kicks on and how well he can build this side into his own... Looking forward to it

Edited by EFC-Paul

What's left:

Chelsea - 32 pld - 75 pts - 18 pts clear

Spurs - 32 pld - 71 pts - 14 pts clear

Liverpool - 33 pld - 66 pts - H Palace, A Watford, H Southampton, A West Ham, H Boro

City - 32 pld - 64 pts - H Utd, A Boro, H Palace, H Leicester, H WBA, A Watford

Utd - 31 pld - 60 pts - A Burnley, A City, H Swans, A Arsenal, A Spurs, A Southampton, H Palace

Everton - 33 pld - 57 pts - A West Ham, H Chelsea, A Swans, H Watford, A Arsenal

Arsenal - 30 pld - 54 pts - A Boro, H Leicester, A Spurs, H Utd, A Southampton, A Stoke, H Sunderland, H EFC

No favors from WBA or Chelsea, of course. Come on Boro.

Some people seem to be taking at as a given we'll win all our remaining games. We've been patchy away all season- only winning 4 and have to go to Swansea who are fighting for their lives and Arsenal who always beat us down there couple this with Chelsea now having Tottenham right up their hoops and it's not just a case of Arsenal needing to lose.

7th is guaranteed and it's where we'll be and I'm happy with that improvement and the season.