IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Not quite sure of the motivation for it but just watching...

"imagine...

Summer 2016: 1. One Night in 2012"

...in the iPlayer which is a fascinating programme about the making of the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony. Seems the government wanted the NHS segment deleted late in the day but Danny Boyle said if they made him take it out he'd pull all performers (all volunteers) so they backed down. Why would they do that? Coalition government at the time but obviously mostly Tory, apparently the biggest voice was the home secretary, one Theresa May.....though she's not referred to by name in the programme, just by position.

That’s weird but hardly a surprise. They make it so easy to hate them. 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Surprised Pete hasn’t jumped all over this already 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53630497

I seen a headline that Mogg knew and sat on it but didn't have time to read it.

Just don't understand how anyone can support them. They should all be in prison as well as every propaganda pushing 'journalist'. First thing you're taught is right from wrong yet so these tory MPs are about position and power. Just don't get why we as a society let them get away with it. 

• 2 weeks later...

This whole year of exam results is a farce and let's not blame one party in this because 4 different parties have had the same issues. 

I dont envy any government in this. What do you do? Teacher grades are bias and self serving. This logarithms are skewed and mocks are well mocks and very few students take them seriously. 

Whatever happens some kids will do better than they should and some will do worse. Now the majority are probably going to do better and everything they have done to get to this point is worthless because those results will be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

I'm glad it wasnt me in this situation though as I would have failed everything!

I was part of the AS changes, had all my coursework failed as it didn’t come in line with the new guidelines, even though the 4 coursework’s were graded A,A,B,C by the teachers. Meant my overall grades were 2xDs and a U. Pissed me off no end. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

It was a classist algorithm.  Worked with loads of academics who are logically useless - can't think outside the box.  

Give me a b or c grade student who gets shit done any day. 

I don't think the changes affect "class", at least significantly so as they did in Scotland. If I remember rightly it was about a 2% difference between the effect upon the deprived schools compared to the better off schools. 2% is still too much mind you but across the board it impacted everyone rich or poor.

55 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

for those non-uk members, anyone willing to give a brief synopsis?

Basically with schools closed and 18 year olds unable to take exams that qualify them for university they used an algorithm to predict a pupils grade.... this algorithm effectively gave pupils of private schools their predicted grades from teachers and overall downgraded ones from other schools.... especially lower graded schools.   So a pupil who did very well, studied hard and primed themselves for good grades had them cut based on a computer that looked at what school they went to 

6 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Basically with schools closed and 18 year olds unable to take exams that esse totally qualify them for university they used an algorithm to predict a pupils grade.... this algorithm effectively gave pupils of private schools their predicted grades from teachers and overall downgraded ones from other schools.... especially lower graded schools.   So a pupil who did very well, studied hard and primed themselves for good grades had them cut based on a computer that looked at what school they went to 

thank you, that is awful.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Basically with schools closed and 18 year olds unable to take exams that qualify them for university they used an algorithm to predict a pupils grade.... this algorithm effectively gave pupils of private schools their predicted grades from teachers and overall downgraded ones from other schools.... especially lower graded schools.   So a pupil who did very well, studied hard and primed themselves for good grades had them cut based on a computer that looked at what school they went to 

And weren’t they downgraded if they came from an area that was considered lower in wealth, or have I misunderstood that?

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

for those non-uk members, anyone willing to give a brief synopsis?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/explainers-53807730

There was always going to be problems with this system but they were meant to be ironed out in the appeals process. Problem is they left the results too late so by the time the appeals came through Uni places would have been decided. I also think there were more problems than they thought.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Conservative Party are self-serving, elitist cunts. 

What about Labour in Wales, SNP in Scotland and DUP in Northern Ireland. Are they all self serving elitist cunts too?

3 minutes ago, Bailey said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/explainers-53807730

There was always going to be problems with this system but they were meant to be ironed out in the appeals process. Problem is they left the results too late so by the time the appeals came through Uni places would have been decided. I also think there were more problems than they thought.

What about Labour in Wales, SNP in Scotland and DUP in Northern Ireland. Are they all self serving elitist cunts too?

Problems??? The likes of Eton didn't have any problems....  then again the same government didn't have any problems gifting money to their mates for a test and trace app that they were told would fail.

Corrupt and incompetent...  the same party who clapped for nurses after they left them working without ppe and then decided against giving pay rises.

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The part missed out in this is that part of the algorithm included teachers predicted grades. As teachers overinflated grades significantly the schools governing body tried to find a way of making sure the grades given were in line with previous years. If they arent in line with previous years, then they are basically a worthless qualification because the wheat isn't separated from the chaff and the class of 2020 suddenly becomes by far and away the cleverest group of youngsters in the history of the UK. 

The problem is by employing the method they have they have done as you say and downgraded some pupils and upgraded others. The ones that were downgraded should have then been assessed on appeal but as I say that plant down the toilet pretty damn quickly as the scale of problems were far better.

Now we have mix of some kids who were hard done by and a lot of others that have far better grades than they would have got.

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Problems??? The likes of Eton didn't have any problems....  then again the same government didn't have any problems gifting money to their mates for a test and trace app that they were told would fail.

Corrupt and incompetent...  the same party who clapped for nurses after they left them working without ppe and then decided against giving pay rises.

Not completely true.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-did-england-exam-system-favour-private-schools

This explains the issue based on class size rather than wealth, albeit at the same time noting that private schools are more likely to have smaller class sizes. 

I don’t think it’s true that teachers do overinflate grades. It wouldn’t be hard to see if they were doing that because they make these predictions every year and if that was the case they’d have been reprimanded for it long before now and their predictions in future would be better.

In my experience predicted grades from teachers have been very accurate. And that’s as you’d expect because the teachers know the students best. To have that ignored, initially, was fucking ludicrous in all honesty and the right decision has been made (eventually) in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don’t think it’s true that teachers do overinflate grades. It wouldn’t be hard to see if they were doing that because they make these predictions every year and if that was the case they’d have been reprimanded for it long before now and their predictions in future would be better.

In my experience predicted grades from teachers have been very accurate. And that’s as you’d expect because the teachers know the students best. To have that ignored, initially, was fucking ludicrous in all honesty and the right decision has been made (eventually) in my opinion. 

Its hard to argue that they didn't inflate grades. They had to use the algorithm to bring the grades back down to a level comparable to previous years, unless of course you believe this years crop were an outstanding bunch. I suppose they may be but its very unlikely. 

It also wasn't ignored, it formed part of the calculation. 

I think the difficult thing is that its hard to know what to do in this situation. Whatever happens some will win and some will lose. It happens naturally with exams anyway. The important thing is making sure certain groups within society aren't prejudiced compared to others. That definitely happened in Scotland. It probably happened in England, to a small extent. I am not sure about Wales or NI.