IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

On 18/08/2020 at 23:23, Bailey said:

Its hard to argue that they didn't inflate grades. They had to use the algorithm to bring the grades back down to a level comparable to previous years, unless of course you believe this years crop were an outstanding bunch. I suppose they may be but its very unlikely. 

Bringing the grades in line with previous years resulted in the most absurd outcomes.  A student was predicted to get a B in maths, which was however the lowest grade in her class.  Apparently someone in that school had gotten a U in maths last year.   So according to the algorithm, the person with the lowest grade had to get a U.  

Examples like that are so absurd it should have been fixed before awarding grades. This shouldn't take going through an appeals process.  

On 18/08/2020 at 22:23, Bailey said:

Its hard to argue that they didn't inflate grades. They had to use the algorithm to bring the grades back down to a level comparable to previous years, unless of course you believe this years crop were an outstanding bunch. I suppose they may be but its very unlikely. 

It also wasn't ignored, it formed part of the calculation. 

I think the difficult thing is that its hard to know what to do in this situation. Whatever happens some will win and some will lose. It happens naturally with exams anyway. The important thing is making sure certain groups within society aren't prejudiced compared to others. That definitely happened in Scotland. It probably happened in England, to a small extent. I am not sure about Wales or NI. 

Explain how students predicted for a a a, got b b c......  which seemed the default mark down.  Students with distinctions getting marked down by 3 grades 

Fucking farce. 

The fact the hardfaced bunch of elitist non heads did a u turn tells you everything.

Latest just in..... Hancock said returning to the office is safe. As not many transmissions have happened there in recent months.  Kinda like shoplifting levels dropped when shops were closed eh

On 18/08/2020 at 21:04, Bailey said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/explainers-53807730

There was always going to be problems with this system but they were meant to be ironed out in the appeals process. Problem is they left the results too late so by the time the appeals came through Uni places would have been decided. I also think there were more problems than they thought.

What about Labour in Wales, SNP in Scotland and DUP in Northern Ireland. Are they all self serving elitist cunts too?

Most politicians 

On 18/08/2020 at 20:04, Bailey said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/explainers-53807730

There was always going to be problems with this system but they were meant to be ironed out in the appeals process. Problem is they left the results too late so by the time the appeals came through Uni places would have been decided. I also think there were more problems than they thought.

What about Labour in Wales, SNP in Scotland and DUP in Northern Ireland. Are they all self serving elitist cunts too?

SNP & DUP most definitely are. 

5 hours ago, holystove said:

Bringing the grades in line with previous years resulted in the most absurd outcomes.  A student was predicted to get a B in maths, which was however the lowest grade in her class.  Apparently someone in that school had gotten a U in maths last year.   So according to the algorithm, the person with the lowest grade had to get a U.  

Examples like that are so absurd it should have been fixed before awarding grades. This shouldn't take going through an appeals process.  

I agree, its a flawed calculation and something that should have been picked up by Ofqual. I'm not sure if the story you have quoted as true as I believe the lowest drop was 3 grades and that happened on 0.2% of pupils but I wouldn't fancy being one of those students!

I also agree that in an ideal world, someone in that position shouldn't have to go through an appeal, but the fact is that these grades are just guesses, and as we have seen from the GCSE results, ridiculously over-estimated guesses. If the original evidence was accurate then there wouldn't need to be a calculation.

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Explain how students predicted for a a a, got b b c......  which seemed the default mark down.  Students with distinctions getting marked down by 3 grades 

Fucking farce. 

The fact the hardfaced bunch of elitist non heads did a u turn tells you everything.

Latest just in..... Hancock said returning to the office is safe. As not many transmissions have happened there in recent months.  Kinda like shoplifting levels dropped when shops were closed eh

I don't think you get distinctions in A Levels but the point I have made to Holystove remains.

The u-turn was more to do with the fact that more issues were presented than they were led to believe by Ofqual and as a result of those issues a change had to be made. Again this is an issue for all UK parties.

Also FWIW I have been in the office every day since lockdown. As with anything, it is as safe as it can be as long as everyone is careful.

• 3 weeks later...

Testing and tracing is a huge problem across France and Spain and no doubt other European countries. It isn't just an issue in the UK.

It just pisses me off that the government and the media keep going back to these headline figures of tests per day. Yes increasing the volume of testing capacity is important but it means fuck all if you haven't got the capacity at the labs to process all the tests. We do test more people per thousand than a lot of other countries but the test itself is only part of the process.

Another thing that is pissing me off is people getting tests that don't need one. I know of a lot of people now that have told me that they have been for tests before and after a holiday, or that they have been asked to by their employers. I can understand from a human level why people might want to do that for themselves, but they are potentially using up important resources. I don't know how many people that will be across all of those being tested but it can't help.

Top and bottom of it is we have established companies who are masters of logistics like Amazon....  Google and apple who understand their own proprietary software.  Use them ...

The government in their eagerness to line their own pockets spent millions upon millions awarding contracts which have cost lives.  

44 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Testing and tracing is a huge problem across France and Spain and no doubt other European countries. It isn't just an issue in the UK.

It just pisses me off that the government and the media keep going back to these headline figures of tests per day. Yes increasing the volume of testing capacity is important but it means fuck all if you haven't got the capacity at the labs to process all the tests. We do test more people per thousand than a lot of other countries but the test itself is only part of the process.

Another thing that is pissing me off is people getting tests that don't need one. I know of a lot of people now that have told me that they have been for tests before and after a holiday, or that they have been asked to by their employers. I can understand from a human level why people might want to do that for themselves, but they are potentially using up important resources. I don't know how many people that will be across all of those being tested but it can't help.

Just because you don't show signs doesn't mean you're not carrying it. I'd say it's the opposite of being selfish as they know they're gonna be in a confined space with lots of other people. If anything it should be mandatory. Ideally everyone who is unable to isolate should be getting checked. 

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/10/08/70-million-government-ppe-contract-small-luxury-packaging-firm/?fbclid=IwAR3uMiGGxFDZ_TEAgAzRW-WJbKD9xtLsNiC61cIhRePN-Xif7dhUgTyyY3Q

Any Tory willing to justify their vote? Absolute cunts the lot of them. You knew they'd take the piss out of the NHS and you knew they'd give all the money they can to their mates. All of you, and every one of their politicians deserve the worst in life by you press it on to others. Scum, leaches, inhuman. Take your pick.