IGNORED

Current Best starting XI

What would everyone see as our current best XI?

Ill go for

Pickford

Coleman Williams Keane Baines

Morgan

Gana Klaassen

Sandro Rooney Mirallas

However, ideally it would include Sigurdsson in place of Mirallas.

Edited by AidanLewis

I'd usually wait until the end of the window, but so far my team would be

Pickford

Coleman Jags Keane Baines

Davies Morgan Gana

Klaassen

Rooney Sandro

That gets me excited. Damn that looks like an exciting team. Just need the season to start now!

Pickford

Coleman Holgate Keane Williams Baines

Davies Morgan

Klaassen. . . Mirallas

Rooney

Or

Pickford

Coleman Holgate Williams Baines

McCarthy Schneiderlin Davies

Klaassen Rooney Mirallas

Edited by pete0

GK

Pickford

Robles*

Steklenberg

DR

Coleman

Holgate

Kenny

DC

Keane

Williams

Jags

Funes Mori

Holgate

DL

Baines

Funes Mori

DM

Schneiderlin

Gana

Macca*

Besic

Barry*

CM

Barkley*

Klaassen

Davies

Wingers

Mirallas

Bolasi

Lennon

Lookman

Forwards

Ramirez

Rooney

DCL

That seems to be our full squad, if I have missed anyone let me know. Those with stars next to their name I have a feeling will leave, but may not.

I think we could strengthen with the following positions:

DL - We need someone to give Baines competition, or be a reliable fill in for when he is injured. Preferably a younger full back but not a youth player. Funes Mori is not good enough to be a good back up in this position.

CM - If Barkley leave we need to add to the creativity in the squad and replace him, however if he does not leave then I am content with the options we currently have. Sigurdsson is the obvious option, however as much as I love him I would prefer Lanzini. Rumors are that the deal for Gylfi is going to happen, which makes me think that Ross will leave, the question is however, to where?

Winger - Left footed winger. We have been crying out for one for years. The only player I would realistically take ifrom the EPL is Shaqiri.

CF - We need a target man. Giroud and Dost have been mentioned. I would prefer Dost. Although he hasn't been proven in the EPL like Giroud, he has a good goal scoring record in Germany and a sublime one his current league. He is an absolute beast in the air. Also looks really good off the ball, and can finish well with his feet too. Just to put it in perspective how good he has been at Sporting this year (who finished 3rd in the league table) he has averaged a goal every 80 minutes, and is the top scorer with 34 goals in 31 games. Nobody else in that league comes near him with Soares runner up in the scoring charts with 19 goals. The downside of all this however is the rumors of his 50 million pound release clause, which Sporting are reportedly holding out for.

Of course we also have several U23's who I expect to try to break into the first team this year, I have only included Kenny in the list above because of our lack of options in RB but there are of course several more. As for Garbutt and Galloway I don't think Koeman thinks they're options for us this season.

Edited by AidanLewis

Currently id play:

....................Pickford.....................

.....Holgate....Keane....Williams.....

Coleman.....Gana/Schne....Baines

......Davies/Ross.......Klaassen......

...................Rooney.......................

.........................Sandro..................

Would change if Gylfi comes in. (Probably another formation) but i like the idea of a 3-2-2-1-1 with Coleman and Baines bombning down the wings

I'm guessing Koeman will go with Davies at right wing back if that's the formation.

____________Pickford

__________Keane Williams

Davies Schneiderlin Gana Baines

____________Klaassen

_________Sandro Mirallas

_____________Rooney

I'm hoping McCarthy can win back his place as Gana's positioning gives me a migraine.

GK
Pickford
Robles*
Steklenberg
DR
Coleman
Holgate
Kenny
DC
Keane
Williams
Jags
Funes Mori
Holgate
DL
Baines
Funes Mori
DM
Schneiderlin
Gana
Macca*
Besic
Barry*
CM
Barkley*
Klaassen
Davies
Wingers
Mirallas
Bolasi
Lennon
Lookman
Forwards
Ramirez
Rooney
DCL
That seems to be our full squad, if I have missed anyone let me know. Those with stars next to their name I have a feeling will leave, but may not.
I think we could strengthen with the following positions:
DL - We need someone to give Baines competition, or be a reliable fill in for when he is injured. Preferably a younger full back but not a youth player. Funes Mori is not good enough to be a good back up in this position.
CM - If Barkley leave we need to add to the creativity in the squad and replace him, however if he does not leave then I am content with the options we currently have. Sigurdsson is the obvious option, however as much as I love him I would prefer Lanzini. Rumors are that the deal for Gylfi is going to happen, which makes me think that Ross will leave, the question is however, to where?
Winger - Left footed winger. We have been crying out for one for years. The only player I would realistically take ifrom the EPL is Shaqiri.
CF - We need a target man. Giroud and Dost have been mentioned. I would prefer Dost. Although he hasn't been proven in the EPL like Giroud, he has a good goal scoring record in Germany and a sublime one his current league. He is an absolute beast in the air. Also looks really good off the ball, and can finish well with his feet too. Just to put it in perspective how good he has been at Sporting this year (who finished 3rd in the league table) he has averaged a goal every 80 minutes, and is the top scorer with 34 goals in 31 games. Nobody else in that league comes near him with Soares runner up in the scoring charts with 19 goals. The downside of all this however is the rumors of his 50 million pound release clause, which Sporting are reportedly holding out for.
Of course we also have several U23's who I expect to try to break into the first team this year, I have only included Kenny in the list above because of our lack of options in RB but there are of course several more. As for Garbutt and Galloway I don't think Koeman thinks they're options for us this season.

You missed Niasse.

parenthesis for possible leaving

gk - pickford, stek (robles)

rb - coleman, kenny

lb - baines

cb - keane, williams, jags, mori, holgate, pennington

dm - gana, schneiderlin, barry, mccarthy, besic

acm - klaassen, davies, williams

rf - sandro, bolasie, (barkley)

cf - rooney, niasse, DCL

lf - mirallas, lennon, lookman

note: forwards most if not all can play across the front 3, just separated to show depth.

If everyone stays (barkley and robles) then we only really need LB cover if we are comfortable with the youngsters.

Looks like 2-4-3-1 to me.

It's interesting how we get so caught up with formations. I suppose we have to simplify things with numbers rather than define roles and strategies and tactics. We've come a long way from the 2-3-5 that my school team (and everyone's school team) played. I wonder how long it will be before we consider asymmetric formations (pushing forward on one side and holding back on the other) in the mix as the manager responds to an opponent's strengths and weaknesses.

lol ste definitely got your quirks

Haha thanks Mark. Formations annoy me as much as squad numbers. My old apprentice used to tell me Arsenal play 41212, my blood would boil. But I've seen interviews with managers where the interviewer starts trying to sound clever asking did you play a back four with wing backs, two holding midfielders and a number ten, etc etc. Then a manager like Koeman will just cut them off and say we play 433, like we always do.

False 9, DCM, blah blah blah.

People used to say Moyes played 4141, then he would say he played 442 because Cahill is like a striker. Football is a simple game, made complicated by idiots.

Haha thanks Mark. Formations annoy me as much as squad numbers. My old apprentice used to tell me Arsenal play 41212, my blood would boil. But I've seen interviews with managers where the interviewer starts trying to sound clever asking did you play a back four with wing backs, two holding midfielders and a number ten, etc etc. Then a manager like Koeman will just cut them off and say we play 433, like we always do.

False 9, DCM, blah blah blah.

People used to say Moyes played 4141, then he would say he played 442 because Cahill is like a striker. Football is a simple game, made complicated by idiots.

It's more like chess, the formation constantly changes depending on where the opponents are. Rare you see two backs of flat four these days.